Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I’m still going to say if it’s acceleration vibration, it’s the passenger side. I’ve had it happen multiple times with the passenger side aftermarket ones.

I did a quick wobble on my passenger side where it clips into the half shaft and it’s got at most ~0.010” of runout. I highly doubt yours isn’t clipped in. It’s either in or not, there’s no way it’s coming out without yanking the hell out of it with a slide hammer. That gap also looks normal to me.

I’ve pulled out the axle from the cup plenty of times and reseated with no issue. Of course it could have gone bad. Hard to really say which is bad without swapping out with another.

Also are there any markings/numbers on the axles?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
I’m still going to say if it’s acceleration vibration, it’s the passenger side. I’ve had it happen multiple times with the passenger side aftermarket ones.

I did a quick wobble on my passenger side where it clips into the half shaft and it’s got at most ~0.010” of runout. I highly doubt yours isn’t clipped in. It’s either in or not, there’s no way it’s coming out without yanking the hell out of it with a slide hammer. That gap also looks normal to me.

I’ve pulled out the axle from the cup plenty of times and reseated with no issue. Of course it could have gone bad. Hard to really say which is bad without swapping out with another.

Also are there any markings/numbers on the axles?
The only markings I have seen are on the boot and bands so I believe it pertains to those parts most likely. I bought a 36mm socket at Autozone and removed the axle from the knuckle on the passenger side. It doesn't want to push in anymore than it is already. I made another video to show the play or slop of that inner joint. Let me know what you guys think.
2005 Honda Pilot passenger side CV Joint 3

·
Registered
297 Posts
It’s definitely seated. It doesn’t take much to get it to seat. The rotation is normal. The wobble previously shown in your video looks like an aftermarket that is not sized correctly. I’d go with a new passenger side if it were me. Aftermarket ones that do start out ok, tend not to last anyways.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It’s definitely seated. It doesn’t take much to get it to seat. The rotation is normal. The wobble previously shown in your video looks like an aftermarket that is not sized correctly. I’d go with a new passenger side if it were me. Aftermarket ones that do start out ok, tend not to last anyways.
Do they normally have that much in and out slop shown in the last video? Seemed excessive but this is the first CV I've ever messed with. I guess it wouldn't be moving that much if it were captured in the knuckle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So new passenger side eh? I actually called my local Honda dealer today to check and they told me it was on backorder. :(

So that creates a problem being it is my wifes car so I need to get it back on the road. I heard Cardone is a good aftermarket replacement but can't seem to find one locally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I can’t say for sure it’s that, but it’s a hunch. Bernardi and Hondapartsnow are reputable places to order them and likely cheaper.
Thanks, I'll check into those but i'm guessing that will take while. Really need to be done by Monday so I may have to go with what is available by then.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
536 Posts
Napa new axles have a full lifetime warranty. I had issues with them as well but if anything you can always return them for a full refund.
But only before 30 days. I bought a pair of Napa axles for my pilot, but didn't get around to trying them for more than a month. When I finally got them installed, I found the horrible wobbles that everyone else has experienced, but Napa wouldn't take them back because it was paid the 30-day period. I ended up rebuilding my OEM axles and using those, so the Napa ones went into the dumpster.

·
Registered
12,238 Posts
Rockauto is like that, too. If you procrastinate on installing your order beyond their return window, you're SOL (Sadly Outta Luck). 🥵

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 236k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 151k
183 Posts
I just had two bad luck axles with Napa branded ones. I found an OEM one from a junkyard with low miles and got the axle nut from my Honda dealer (cheaper than Autozone). Sometimes the dealer can be better. Side note, the Autozone one wouldn't fit right, so be cautious on those axle nuts even if the specs are the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you ever check your strut installation, there is a slight slope and orientation when installing the strut mount with the 3 bolts on top. There is a chance this might be a cause and the strut is not aligning correctly with the entire wheel knuckle.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ok so for an update...I swapped in a Napa passenger side CV axle. I decided to do this since I had been hearing creaking noise since before the strut install and wondered if it might be coming from the wobbly fitting CV axle as shown above. Was fairly easy to do and I needed to be done since my work week was starting. Long story short the same vibration form 20-30mph was there. At this point I figured I did the wrong axle as the drivers side was the one where the boot got stretched when the inner joint came out of the cup.

I was out of time so I called the repair shop that I had used almost 2 years ago. They confirmed that they had replaced both axles and they were under warranty. I dropped it off and they said it was likely that both axles were bad. After telling them I had replaced the passenger side already, I had them go ahead with the driver side. The called and said it was better but still had some vibration and suggested it was the passenger side not being a quality part. I gave the ok to replace the passenger side as well since it would just be straight labor and I was ready to be done with it. In the process the abs wire was broken.

Since I am going into work again, I needed to pick it up to drive to work as my wife would be driving my truck.
The vibration is now worse. Instead of 20-30mph, it goes all the way up to 50+, only when accelerating.
I it possible that a torn abs sensor wire would cause things to feel worse?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Did you ever check your strut installation, there is a slight slope and orientation when installing the strut mount with the 3 bolts on top. There is a chance this might be a cause and the strut is not aligning correctly with the entire wheel knuckle.
I had the springs professionally swapped over to the new struts which also included KYB strut mounts. He made sure to line them up like the originals so I believe it should be correct. The strut bracket to knuckle connection seems to be made where it would be difficult to mess up. Let me know If I am misunderstanding you.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts