Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just replaced the front struts and rear shocks. During the process, the knuckles were at times temporarily unsupported. I used a jack most of the time. After putting everything back together I took it for a test drive and noticed a vibration when accelerating. I thought it might be the driver side since I noticed inner CV boot seemed a bit stretched before reassembly. I had to do some maneuvering to get it back to normal. But upon inspection, It seems like the passenger side may have been pulled out a little and have more play right near the oil pan drain plug. I included couple pics and a short video (below) to show what I am talking about. What do you guys think?
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Automotive lighting

·
Registered
310 Posts
Are those OEM?

That is play in the splines between the half shaft splines and the cv axle splines. Some play is normal, I’ve found the aftermarket axles are undersized and have a lot of play and resulted in vibration. Kind of hard to gauge how much play it is without seeing in person. My brand new OEM Honda one has a little play as well.

If you pulled out the axle on accident it wouldn’t be that interface I’d be looking at and it’s unlikely you caused any damage to that area. If you had no vibration issues before it’s highly unlikely that’s the cause. The splines are locked in with a snap ring and pulling those splines apart requires a slide hammer and a lot of umph.

My guess is you may have pulled the axle out of the cup. I’ve pulled them out on accident plenty of times and it’s never been an issue. But, there is a possibility you damaged the interior bearings doing this. You need to be careful when pushing the axle back in as there’s a possibility of damaging the bearings.

I’d double check everything else you’ve done in that area and ensure everything is properly torqued. I’d also ensure the wheel is completely against the hub when tightening.

If you still have vibrations, I’d start looking at that inner CV joint and feel through the boot for possibly bearing pieces that may have popped off when you pushed it back in. It could be damage internally though. If you don’t feel anything through the boot, the next thing I’d do is pull the axle from the hub and then just move the joint around by hand to feel for any binding.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I know at least one side has been replaced but can't remember which one. The pics and video are of the passenger side. I know the video is shakey at first but the play I am talking about is with the "cup" part. And it looks as though it may be pulled out a bit maybe? The drivers side is the one where the inner boot was stretched. When I saw it I thought it may have dislodged from where it inserts into the trans/diff area. I do remember it wasn't easy to get it back in there. Do you think that is where I should start?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I just went and checked the drivers side boot which is the one that was pulled out. I didn't feel any loose parts and if felt pretty solid where it is inserted into the trans/diff. Both sides have horizontal play in the shafts themselves. But the passenger side is the only one that has vertical play.

2005 Passenger CV Joint 2

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That amount of play makes me thinks that is an aftermarket cv axle. That play is at the splines.
Hmm ok you might be right. If its the one that was replaced, I've always noticed some slight vibration upon heavy acceleration since. Maybe the tension on it while replacing the struts made it worse?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just replaced the front struts and rear shocks. During the process, the knuckles were at times temporarily unsupported. I used a jack most of the time. After putting everything back together I took it for a test drive and noticed a vibration when accelerating. I thought it might be the driver side since I noticed inner CV boot seemed a bit stretched before reassembly. I had to do some maneuvering to get it back to normal. But upon inspection, It seems like the passenger side may have been pulled out a little and have more play right near the oil pan drain plug. I included couple pics and a short video (below) to show what I am talking about. What do you guys think?
View attachment 159079
View attachment 159079
Thought I'd weigh in here. Are you sure you pushed the axle all the way in? The circlip on the axle stub locks into the side gear of the differential. I see a milled "step" just outside the seal. Plus and I know this is crazy there are multiple length shafts on there on the market so need to actually measure the collapsed length when buying half-shafts. It a PITA but it beats a guessing game and redoing the work.

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
Yeah, be sure you shove it in all the way. :)

But it's mostly likely because it's an aftermarket axle. Too many sad stories concerning those, which is why it's now received wisdom on this forum to stick to OEM for axles, as @Pilot2003_1 suggests, cost be damned. Kind of like for sensors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I'd weigh in here. Are you sure you pushed the axle all the way in? The circlip on the axle stub locks into the side gear of the differential. I see a milled "step" just outside the seal. Plus and I know this is crazy there are multiple length shafts on there on the market so need to actually measure the collapsed length when buying half-shafts. It a PITA but it beats a guessing game and redoing the work.
The pic with the stepped area your are describing is of the passenger side. That side I actually did not have an issue with as far as reassembly. The driver side is the one that looked like the inner boot had stretched and I had to move it around and possibly reseat it to get the knuckle to line up with the strut bracket. But getting back to what you were saying...I was thinking that the stepped area should be pushed in more and not have that much movement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ugh. So my dilemma is which axle to replace? The drivers side which seemingly dislodged since the inner boot had stretched and I had to put it back in place to line up the knuckle with the strut bracket? Or the passenger side that lined up easily but has more play and the stepped area looks like it needs to be pushed in more?

To reiterate from my earlier post to make sure no one missed it:
At least one CV joint has been replaced. Not sure which and can't find records.
I do remember after replacement noticing a minor vibration upon heavy acceleration but it was no where close to how it is now.
It has been at least a year I believe. Does it make sense that maybe it was never seated properly and just got worse during the strut install???

·
Registered
244 Posts
Ugh. So my dilemma is which axle to replace? The drivers side which seemingly dislodged since the inner boot had stretched and I had to put it back in place to line up the knuckle with the strut bracket? Or the passenger side that lined up easily but has more play and the stepped area looks like it needs to be pushed in more?

To reiterate from my earlier post to make sure no one missed it:
At least one CV joint has been replaced. Not sure which and can't find records.
I do remember after replacement noticing a minor vibration upon heavy acceleration but it was no where close to how it is now.
It has been at least a year I believe. Does it make sense that maybe it was never seated properly and just got worse during the strut install???
Here's what you do, get your vin, engine, transmission model numbers, go to OEM Honda Parts - Great Prices | Honda Parts Online and see which shafts are called for, get the overall length and compare them to yours if yours are aftermarket. But first lets start with the simple items, all other nuts bolt that were loosened tighten up, including the tire? I look more to the driver's side if the boot stretched out and the bearing tripod came out of the cup. The passenger side just make sure it's "knocked in" all the way. Watch this video How to Replace Passenger Side CV Axle 06-11 Honda Civic - YouTube, the theory is the same, and look at the inner axle up against the seal. You shouldn't be able to easily slide the inside spline out. You can use a hammer or use the shaft it self like a slide hammer to push the inner spline into place. Try these before buying anything. Also, how was the wheel bearings?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The only things that were loosened were the bolts for the struts. Axle nut was not touched. Everything has been torqued to spec including the lug nuts. I'll see if I have a socket large enough to remove the axle nut on passenger side so I can see if it will go in more. If it does, then that might be the problem. If not then I'll have to disassemble the drivers side.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The only things that were loosened were the bolts for the struts. Axle nut was not touched. Everything has been torqued to spec including the lug nuts. I'll see if I have a socket large enough to remove the axle nut on passenger side so I can see if it will go in more. If it does, then that might be the problem. If not then I'll have to disassemble the drivers side.
Should be 36mm axle socket. Also for everyone out there when doing the suspension on Hondas the factory manual calls for the suspensions to be "loaded" during final torquing to simulate ride height to prevent suspension noise. Yeah, much easier said when working at dealership etc not shoulder walking at home.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right. looks like i'll need to buy one. The only time I've ever worked on axles is when a built an old CJ7 years ago. Can't find that socket to even try it now.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts