Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we've owned the 2008 Pilot for 10 years now and I am ashamed to admit I am one of those people who neglected the spare tire until I needed it. When we had a flat a few months ago (thankfully in our driveway) my wife called AAA and it was the mechanic who told us our spare was stuck and he couldn't get it down. He filled the flat tire with air and I took it to the local station and had it plugged and all was well.

Earlier this week I took the Pilot for an oil change with our mechanic and asked him to see if he could get the tire down. He could not. He and I both tried some of the methods found on this forum and on YouTube to no avail.

We are embarking on a 11 hour drive (each way) this summer so I am torn between:
1) doing nothing and if we end up with a tire blowout just let AAA tow us to a place to get a new tire;
2) paying a Honda dealer or my mechanic to replace the entire mechanism and tire.

Beyond this summer's trip, the car is mostly used locally since we both work at home. We will likely replace this vehicle in a couple years.

Would appreciate thoughts and opinions, including estimated cost to replace everything involving the spare tire.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
A new spare tire hoist is available for about $100-150.

A new tire to fit the compact wheel is about $80-90.
Or, you can try to find a used full-size wheel and buy a full-size tire for it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I wouldn't travel without a spare. Just not worth the risk. Worst case, it lives in the cabin with you or on the roof if you don't have the time or funds to get the spare tire carrier addressed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Junkyard full-size wheel - $50.
New full-size tire, worst existing one rotates into the spare position - $125 - 150, mounted.
Tire hoist (per xGS) - $150.
Labor and materials - unknown.

If you're going to keep the car, it's worth fixing. Flats will always happen at the worst possible time.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,329 Posts
If you look, there is very little to the system. The spot with trouble is likely the gearbox that you turn or try to…..
So get a good pb blaster and my fav, CRC freeze off. And spray them down the crank.
I’d do the same at the other end that drops the tire.
it might not work first time and likely needs repeating daily until you succeed.
I’d be so tempted to grab my wondabar and a piece of wood (to protect the bodywork) and some elbow grease.

2008 Honda Pilot spare tire stuck won’t lower – winch...

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I'd cut the cable to remove spare tire and hoist. Its held on with 3 bolts.
I'd buy a new hoist from RockAuto.

5% Discount Code: 6E3EAFAFB9DB15
Expires: August 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.
I like the idea of getting a used full spare tire and alloy wheel from a salvage yard.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,290 Posts
When mine wouldn't lower I got the OEM part -- Part No. 74711-S3V-A02 -- but if shipping isn't too much I'd get the one on Rockauto today.

And I highly recommend getting a full size spare, as I did, and lubing the hoist with WD-40 Silicone Lubricant spray and lowering it at least once a year. I keep the valve side down so I can more readily access it for checking the PSI and topping it off if necessary.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
Just make sure you get to spray those 3 bolts also before attempting to remove. Impact tools recommended. it will either break free or snap and need to be drilled and tapped. I think I've snapped more heads using regular ratchets than impact gun on the rusted parts. The constant and more pressure to try and break free I think did it. Who knows. There is a reason I spray well and now use impact tools. I have had less issues I think.

Check out JONDZ Adventuring. He has his full size spare tire in a roof box on his Passport.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When mine wouldn't lower I got the OEM part -- Part No. 74711-S3V-A02 -- but if shipping isn't too much I'd get the one on Rockauto today.

And I highly recommend getting a full size spare, as I did, and lubing the hoist with WD-40 Silicone Lubricant spray and lowering it at least once a year. I keep the valve side down so I can more readily access it for checking the PSI and topping it off if necessary.
Hi - does a full size spare fit in the same space under the pilot as the smaller "donut" spare tire does? We just pulled the spare down this weekend and it is shot - the sidewalls are cracked, and around the valve stem is also cracked (won't hold air). So the spare needs to be replaced for sure. I'd much rather have a full size - if I can find a decent rim locally - but I didn't think it would fit where the spare is/was. Thanks!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Let me see...... (cue the jeopardy theme).....
After a search of my head from the posts I've read, and done it myself?

Yes! Even with my aftermarket trailer hitch it did!

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,329 Posts
If anyone in the Boston area wants an alloy full size spare pm me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If anyone in the Boston area wants an alloy full size spare pm me.
For the pilot? I was just trying to determine if a full size spare would fit in the place the donut spare is. I'm in CT - and I don't get to Boston much if ever - unfortunately.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Hi - does a full size spare fit in the same space under the pilot as the smaller "donut" spare tire does? We just pulled the spare down this weekend and it is shot - the sidewalls are cracked, and around the valve stem is also cracked (won't hold air). So the spare needs to be replaced for sure. I'd much rather have a full size - if I can find a decent rim locally - but I didn't think it would fit where the spare is/was. Thanks!
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

tl:dr version...

extended version...

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
640 Posts
For the pilot? I was just trying to determine if a full size spare would fit in the place the donut spare is. I'm in CT - and I don't get to Boston much if ever - unfortunately.
Hop in the car, drive out for a nice bowl of clam chowder for lunch and go back. A couple hours, no issue, free rim or cheap after the gift of Sam Adams or something.

I just did a 2 day, Long Island to Kansas City and back trip. That was a bit crazy though. Boston for lunch I've done also, that was easy. .

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Let me see...... (cue the jeopardy theme).....
After a search of my head from the posts I've read, and done it myself?

Yes! Even with my aftermarket trailer hitch it did!
Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

tl:dr version...

extended version...

Thanks for the confirmation plplplpl - much appreciated.

I guess you didn't like my 'yes' answer? I knew I should have included pics and videos LOL

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess you didn't like my 'yes' answer? I knew I should have included pics and videos LOL
Sorry The Todd - the format of the responses blended together and I hadn't seen your response! I also have an aftermarket trailer hitch - so I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Value-added, my friend, value added. :)

BTW, member @ImBroke has confirmed a 17" spare fits, too. I can't recall if he had a hitch, though.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts