Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to pick up my drycleaners today right before it closed. This parking lot has those rows of parking spots which are paired such that when you pull in to one, you're usually facing another parked car in front of you.

But a spot in front of me was open, so I drove ahead to take it. After I come back out, I see this big ol' white truck parked behind my Pilot. Now, even from about 20 yards away, I was getting really worried. But I figured nobody can be so stupid that he'd have hit my car when parking his.

I was dead wrong. A good portion of the truck's front bumper was actually right up against my rear bumper!!! :3: I immediately took a close look and I couldn't see any damage. But all I can see is the top portion of the bumper where the checkered rubber cover is.

I mean, if the tip of his front bumper was smidgen bit touching my rear bumper, I wouldn't have been so upset. But I couldn't see no daylight at all between his bumper and mine!

There's restaurant beside the drycleaner, so I went inside there and asked the patrons in there if the white truck belonged to any of them. One guy says that it was his. So, while trying my hardest to remain composed, I told him that his front bumper's resting against my rear one.

He slowly got up and came out with me. He was actually getting into his truck first even before confirming my allegation for himself. I thought that was rather perplexing. So, I told him to come over to take a look. He did but still kept his mouth shut. Then backed up his truck.

I saw the checkered rubber cover bend just a little bit as he was pulling his truck away which raised my blood pressure even more. I got in close to see if there were any damages to the paint and and the step and actually spotted about a 2 inch faint scratch on the the bumper, right where the top of his front license plate would have been made contact against it.

I also checked the stability of the rubber cover by pulling on it pretty hard, but it wouldn't budge at all, so I figured it was alright.

But I was still furious!! Still remaining calm, I asked him if he felt it at all when he hit my truck and he said no. His excuse was that it's pretty hard to feel hitting anything when he's in a big truck like that. So, then I told him then he should be more careful next time. I told him that there is now a scratch on the bumper which would never be there if it weren't for his carelessness. All he did was just stand there, staring right back at me.

I purposely didn't say anything to him after that since I knew if I opened my mouth, nothing civilized would come out of it and I would soon lose it afterwards. I know it's only a car, but it's still my property and I still can't believe just idiotic and utterly stupid this guy was. I didn't even ask for his insurance, license and registration info for I knew, I may just as well have got rough with him in the process.

I just shook my head, got into my car and drove away. But, in retrospect, I think I should've obtained his ins/lic/reg info. I'm planning to drop by the dealer first thing tomorrow morning to have them check the structure of the bumper out and also to pick up some touch-up paint for the scratch.

I do remember the truck's license plate number though. I don't know how useful that would come in or if at all in case some damage is discovered tomorrow. But it just ruined my what otherwise was a fine day up until that point. I wasn't so much upset with the scratch or the fact that his bumper made so much contact with mine, but with his apathetic behavior throughout the wholetime.

Anyway, I just had to vent whatever I was holding in when I was dealing with the truck owner. Once I got home, seeing my kids and the wife, it did make it all better and almost felt foolish for having felt the way I did. But not quite. I still think he could've used a good beating. I'm sure he'd be more careful parking his big ol' stinking truck after that.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm real sorry to hear what happened.

Sometimes I feel people that drive those "BIG TRUCKS" are inconsiderate [email protected]#$%&. Not only to people like us who try our best to keep ourselves and our vehicles safe, but also when they get off road and trash the deserts/forests/beaches/swamps/mountains. (you pick which one, they've trashed them all)

Maybe not all, of them.

I've been paranoid about parking the Pilot since we've brought it home. I always park away from the crowd and move carts away from my Pilot before going into a store.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Way to keep it calm RipRock. With the lack of answers I might have been making comments into his gene pool. Maybe the dealer can get a good touch up job on there for you.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Good idea to keep calm. Nothing good could have come of going off the deep end. If the mark is simply a spot where where is plate was touching, it can probably be buffed out pretty easily. Wash the Pilot, get a tube of Meguiar's ScratchX from Autozone and all should be well. Hate it when stuff like that happens!

Chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
Riprock,
Sorry to hear about your incident. Good thing you kept your cool. Almost the same incident happened to me with my brand new van, a lady hit it backing up which caused a meaningless inch of scratch on my painted bumper. Her insurance paid $600 for the damage, I just kept the cash and opted for the repair.

Pilot Parking: My wife told me she must have lost 10 pounds from all the extra walking she has to do after I park about a mile away from our destination. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
vegasdude said:
Riprock,
Sorry to hear about your incident. Good thing you kept your cool. Almost the same incident happened to me with my brand new van, a lady hit it backing up which caused a meaningless inch of scratch on my painted bumper. Her insurance paid $600 for the damage, I just kept the cash and opted for the repair.

Pilot Parking: My wife told me she must have lost 10 pounds from all the extra walking she has to do after I park about a mile away from our destination. :D
Wow, you only park a mile away. My wife scream at me for leaving the pilot in the garge and mass transit to where we go. " So why you buy a new car if we are not going to drive it!" hahahahahahahahaha :2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
:eek: I'm very sorry that Riprock had the bad encounter with the truck.

"Sometimes I feel people that drive those "BIG TRUCKS" are inconsiderate [email protected]#$%&. Not only to people like us who try our best to keep ourselves and our vehicles safe, but also when they get off road and trash the deserts/forests/beaches/swamps/mountains. (you pick which one, they've trashed them all)"

I'm sorry that Tony has had bad encounters with BIG TRUCKS. I had intended to write a long post explaining how it isn't just big truck that trash the land. But I think it would do more harm than good.

What I will say is that we've all had bad encounters with a certian type of person. It is the selfish, ignorant, lazy, don't give a darn about others or the land, out to get their jollys no matter what, short sighted "[email protected]#$%&" that trashes the land. They may be on dirt bike, ATV, Big Trucks, SUV, Jeeps, or whatever.
:(

Take care

·
Registered
389 Posts
nologic said:
:eek: I'm very sorry that Riprock had the bad encounter with the truck.

"Sometimes I feel people that drive those "BIG TRUCKS" are inconsiderate [email protected]#$%&. Not only to people like us who try our best to keep ourselves and our vehicles safe, but also when they get off road and trash the deserts/forests/beaches/swamps/mountains. (you pick which one, they've trashed them all)"

I'm sorry that Tony has had bad encounters with BIG TRUCKS. I had intended to write a long post explaining how it isn't just big truck that trash the land. But I think it would do more harm than good.

What I will say is that we've all had bad encounters with a certian type of person. It is the selfish, ignorant, lazy, don't give a darn about others or the land, out to get their jollys no matter what, short sighted "[email protected]#$%&" that trashes the land. They may be on dirt bike, ATV, Big Trucks, SUV, Jeeps, or whatever.
:(

Take care
Nologic, I am glad you got that out of your chest! Deep breath now. Isn't forum great! :2:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I remember a time when bumpers were actually intended for bumping. But alas, I guess not in this age of glossy, vinyl-covered body mouldings that for some strange reason are still called "bumpers".

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks For Your Words Of Support.

I really appreciate them. Just needed to let it out and knew you guy would have empathetic ears for me :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think I would have asked him for his insurance information and treated him just as if it were a "real" accident. I would have told him I would be filing a claim if there were any scratches that would not buff out. This would have given him something to think about for a couple of days and maybe (probably not) he would be more careful.

I once bumped someone at a stop sign late one night. Neither of us could see any damage but I gave him my info and suggested that he take a good look the next day in sunlight and call if there was a problem. I never heard from him but it was on my mind for a couple of days.

·
Registered
494 Posts
nologic,

You are right, It's not the big trucks. It's the person behind the wheel. It really doesn't matter what they drive.

It's just what happened to RipRocK really got to me. As a frequent camper, I have seen what inconsiderate... :3: .... DRIVERS.... can do to a campground or to decent people just trying to park their cars in a parking lot.

Thanks,

·
Registered
232 Posts
Way to keep your cool RipRock. I don't know if I would have done the same. I once had a lady lightly rear end me and very slightly crack my bumper and hey, accidents happen so I wouldn't have been so peaved had she not been putting on lipstick while driving!! :3:

Needless to say I would have said no big deal but because she was putting lipstick on while driving her insurance paid for a new bumper cover and hopefully raised her insurance sky high :4:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also got a scratch in the rear bumper of our Pilot in a parking lot. Because its private property the police cant do anything and then when you go to their insurance company, it's the other drivers word against yours, and in our case, the other driver changed her story to her insurance company and put the blame on us. There wasn't much we could do.:3:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mugen660 said:
I also got a scratch in the rear bumper of our Pilot in a parking lot. Because its private property the police cant do anything and then when you go to their insurance company, it's the other drivers word against yours, and in our case, the other driver changed her story to her insurance company and put the blame on us. There wasn't much we could do.:3:
Unreal. I hope that driver experiences a horribly disfiguring accident :3: What is this world coming to? Why are there so many stupid people? You'd think Darwin's theory of evolution would've taken affect by now :confused:

·
Registered
698 Posts
RipRocK said:
I purposely didn't say anything to him after that since I knew if I opened my mouth, nothing civilized would come out of it and I would soon lose it afterwards. I know it's only a car, but it's still my property and I still can't believe just idiotic and utterly stupid this guy was.
You're a class act RipRock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
something like that happened to me also 2 weeks after we got the Pilot.

I was in a drive through for for starbucks when suddenly i feel the pilot nudge forward a little. I look in the rear view mirror and see a lady driving a "soccermom" minivan talking into a cell phone. She was backing up and acting as if nothing happened... i got so mad. I stopped the pilot and got out, that is when she got kinda scared & she should be scared because i would have had her insurance pay for whatever damage there is... no matter how insignificant as well as for a rental car while it was being fixed.

but there was no damage on my pilot at all... just a tiny scratch on the rubber moldings, but it was easily rubbed off... prolly was a piece from her "soccermom" minivan. Her liscense plate was all sorts of screwed up tho. Turned out that she was not paying attention because she was on her cell phone and accidently let her foot off the gas without knowing it.

what really made me angry was the fact that she was trying to play it off at first.

but i think that no matter how small the damage, make the other party pay for it, because no matter how small it is you will always have to look at it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts