Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On memorial day weekend, we went hunting for ghosts, stayed in a ghost town, and came home with a VERY DIRTY Pilot!!!

Here are some pictures - enjoy! :2:

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in this ghostown - the guy that bought the whole town, apparently, told us to drive thru and not get out of our car - REAL FRIENDLY!!!

Duquesne (pronounced Due-kanes)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:D nice to see pilot in the wild!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sigh. I miss the desert. Great pics, 2GreenCars.

We used to go down to that area to ride ATV's, dunebugies, etc. Miles and miles of dirt roads without anybody else in sight except the occasional Border Patrol agent.

Did you make it down to Lochiel(border town/shack) or the ranch where Oklahoma! was filmed? It's between Sonoita/Patagonia and Parker Lake.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
GREAT shots 2GreenCars!

Soooooo - did you see any ghosts??? Why didn't the guy want you to get outta the car? I love this stuff!! :2:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
azfansinnc said:
Sigh. I miss the desert. Great pics, 2GreenCars.

We used to go down to that area to ride ATV's, dunebugies, etc. Miles and miles of dirt roads without anybody else in sight except the occasional Border Patrol agent.

Did you make it down to Lochiel(border town/shack) or the ranch where Oklahoma! was filmed? It's between Sonoita/Patagonia and Parker Lake.
Sigh - no. We got very close, though. What is Lockiel like?
Where was Oklahomia filmed? Have you been? What was it like?

We did do a trek from Sonoita to Parker Lake, though. And then across a mountain pass (S C A R Y) to Sierra Vista. I'll post pictures of our off-roading adventures!

Next trip I'd like to go to Ruby which apparently has 30 buildings still standing!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sage said:
GREAT shots 2GreenCars!

Soooooo - did you see any ghosts??? Why didn't the guy want you to get outta the car? I love this stuff!! :2:
I don't know. Didn't want us snooping around, I guess. Totally uncool. Though I can understand he probably gets lots of touristas.

We could imagine him in Scooby Doo being led away and muttering "If it hadn't been for those kids, I'd have gotten away with it..." !!!;)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
2GREENCARS said:

I don't know. Didn't want us snooping around, I guess. Totally uncool. Though I can understand he probably gets lots of touristas.

We could imagine him in Scooby Doo being led away and muttering "If it hadn't been for those kids, I'd have gotten away with it..." !!!;)

RUT ROW! :2:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:rolleyes: when you say ruby, is it the rubicon trail?:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sblvro said:
:rolleyes: when you say ruby, is it the rubicon trail?:D
Ruby is the ghost town sw of Tucson, I believe. Not sure where the Rubicon trail is. If it involves ANY off-roading we AIN'T GOING THERE! :2: (see off-roading thread we just posted)

·
Registered
24 Posts
2GREENCARS said:

Sigh - no. We got very close, though. What is Lockiel like?
Where was Oklahomia filmed? Have you been? What was it like?

We did do a trek from Sonoita to Parker Lake, though. And then across a mountain pass (S C A R Y) to Sierra Vista. I'll post pictures of our off-roading adventures!

Next trip I'd like to go to Ruby which apparently has 30 buildings still standing!
Lochiel is just a shack really. I just thinks it's kinda funny to see it and realize this is an international border with Mexico. There's just a dirt road on either side heading off into the desert. Totally different than Nogales.

The Oklahoma! set (Yes, it was filmed in Arizona) is a ranch house, barn and some film equipment. Not really much there but history. The road goes in one side and out the other. I could not give you directions, but it's our there in the grassland. You may have gone through it and didn't know it.

Ruby is neat but the last time I was there (10+ years) you could only see it through a fence. Not sure if that has changed.

In and around the Santa Rita mountains are dirt roads galore. I have driven or Mtn Biked many of them prior to moving to NC. One of my favorite drives starts near Madera Canyon. You go over a pass via switch backs and finally end up near Patagonia. It's definitely Pilotable. Bull Springs road goes past another ghost town on the south side of the Santa Rita's. It's a little rougher and may be doable if you are up to it. It starts near the Mt Hopkins/Smithsonian visitor center. You get there via I-19 and Green Valley (Canoa Rd.?). ***Please disregard the previous paragraph. The roads are similar to Gardner Canyon.***

***You might try Happy Valley though. It's behind the Rincons. Smooth dirt road. There is a large waterfall on the left you can hike into just as you cross the cattle guard and start down into the valley. Old Tucson 2 is out there on left just a bit after crossing the RR. They usually let you walk around (free) if they're not filming. I-10 towards Benson. Get off on Mescal Rd and go N.***

Please post pics of you adventures. My wife was getting homesick looking at your pics along I-19 in Tubac last week.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts