Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang, although I heartily recommend the Aries Front Bar (grille/brush guard), I am not of a similar opinion of their Taillight Guards. It took me a few HOURS of tinkering to get them to fit HALFWAY decently. If you don't mind Dremeling, bending, and adjusting and readjusting, then these MAY be worth the $100.00 to you. Once installed, however, they DO look pretty good...

First pic: Taillight guard "upside down"

There are three mounting spots/tabs - the lower one in the picture hooks around the leading "edge" of the taillight, the upper two screw into the factory holes (with longer screws). The ugly black areas around the three tabs is actually electrical tape that I've used to cover the metal frame of the parts (to protect the finish of whatever it contacts).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bare guard pic 2

top view vertical

the "hook around" tab on the left is one of the things I had to Dremel (and bend). originally, it was about 1/4" longer and bent more sharply towards the guard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
top/front view

this is actually the left rear taillight guard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
installed pic 1

this is a close up. the three yellow circles show the 3 mounting areas.

A couple of caveats with this style of taillight guard: when you fit the guards to your Pilot, you have to make sure that the two vertical mounts do NOT interfere with tailgate operation. I had to do a LOT of tinkering so that my tailgate did not rub against the mounts (both sides). Second, the "hook around" tab is designed to fit BETWEEN the taillight and the body of your vehicle. Unfortunately (fortunately) the taillights on the Pilot fit EXTREMELY FLUSH and if you put anything in between, they will NOT fit as nicely anymore.

I had to Dremel some material off of the taillight lenses themselves in order to make it fit semi flush (pictures to follow)...

yes my Pilot is Dirty! No, I haven't washed it since I got it... lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
close up pic 2

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
close up pic 3

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
close up pic 4

. you can kind of see the Dremeling done to the taillight to provide room for the mounting tab...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
close up pic 5

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
close up pic 6

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
close up pic 7

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
close up pic 8

showing the two vertical mounting tabs. they fit over the stock mounting holes and require longer screws (included in the kit). the electrical tape is so the leading edges of the tabs don't scratch anything...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
picture of dremeled area

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dremeled area 2

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rear view 1

Mike Tognetti and Richard Mogg were a pleasure to deal with at Goudy...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rear view 2

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Nice work and photo documentary.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
last pic - side view

After all was said and done, it looks ok. Again, it is NOT a simple/easy installation. I was a little leery about Dremeling the lenses at first, but I figured that, worse come to worst, I could always get another pair from Honda (for too much money)...

During the lengthy procedure, I did discover that, in addition to the two mounting holes, the taillights are held in place by two pins on the "leading edge". The pins are not perfect cylinders; they are shaped more like miniature bowling pins and it takes a FIRM pull (straight back) to release the taillights (they do not slide out nicely and easily)...

Once on, the taillight guards feel sturdy and secure...

(picture edited smaller and reposted)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Jay. :)

'It looks better at night'... lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
Nice job and great looking Pilot. Bet is a lot of fun to keep clean :)

By the way, love that rear license plate cover ! :D

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rtresco, lol a lighter color like yours or jay's is starting to look better and better... :)

:D on the license plate frame. I heard that in a lecture a long time ago and it has become one of my favorite sayings. I think it's about time to get a new one made in black.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts