Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the holiday road trip thread I mentioned that we took our Pilot from the Bay Area to Las Vegas over the holidays. On the way home, between Vegas and Bakersfield we battled heavy winds with gusts in excess of 60 mph, (according to the radio reports). Of course most of that drive is in the Mojave desert so there was an awful lot of sand blowing.

Of course we could hear it hitting the truck. Sometimes sounded like we were in a sand blaster. I was very afraid of what it was doing to the paint. Well I'm glad to say that the paint on the Pilot help up perfectly. Can't find a scratch or mark on the finish. But the windshield is a different story.

After we washed the truck I noticed that the windshield took quite a bit of damage. It's minor damage, very tiny little pits, but they're everywhere. No dings, just these tiny pits. You can't even feel them with your finger unless you scratch the window with your fingernail, but when you drive into the sun they show up. They sort of look like you just drove through a mist or very light drizzle and you have tiny waterspots all over the windshield.

Is there anything I might put on the windshield that might lessen the effect? It's not bad enough to replace. I mean it's not affecting the vision, it's not even really annoying. But once you know it's there.... well you probably know what I mean. I just wondered if there was any product I might apply to the windshield that would smooth over those tiny pits.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Most insurance companies pay to repair damaged windshields without requiring a deductable from you and with no impact on your premium. Play up the impaired visibility in the sun bit and they'll probably send you right to the auto glass repair facility of your choice with no questions asked. Good Luck!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Play a foul

Since it's was damaged by nature and it need to be fixed then give a shot and have insurance co get you a new one.We don't want any of our Piots look bad.Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've noticed on my Jeep Windshield that once it was "sand blasted", the visibility in the rain was more difficult but not that much of an issue for sun. The wipers were not as effective since they could not get the water out of the holes.

Check your insurance policy to see if you have a deductible on your comprehensive portion. Usual options are 0, $250, and $500. I just went thru this with my agent...

Good Luck

·
Registered
138 Posts
BigBarkingDog said:

Check your insurance policy to see if you have a deductible on your comprehensive portion. Usual options are 0, $250, and $500. I just went thru this with my agent...

Good Luck
I have 100 on my comp ..... Is that unusual ? :p

·
Registered
385 Posts
ksraja said:

I have 100 on my comp ..... Is that unusual ? :p
Not unusual at all. Tough to assess since auto policy features tend to vary by state. For instance, in Mass, there typically is no deductible for windshield losses

·
Registered
288 Posts
davemac said:

Not unusual at all. Tough to assess since auto policy features tend to vary by state. For instance, in Mass, there typically is no deductible for windshield losses
Same here in TX,used tobe not anymore deductable on winshieds losses

·
Registered
423 Posts
In Texas the glass loss deductible comes under comprehensive coverage. Your deductible is what ever you select. It can be $0 to $1000. the higher the deductible, the lower the premium. The average I have seen, I am in the insurance business, is $50.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
On our Accord I have a few minor scratches that are not deep at all. There are just a few so I don't want to go through the insurance, plus I would just feel a lot more comfortable not having the original windshield taken out for just a few scratches. Is there some miracle solution out there that you spread on the glass and wipe away the excess? A friend was going on about how he heard of something like that in the past, but couldn't remember the name of the stuff.

·
Registered
297 Posts
FLPilot said:
On our Accord I have a few minor scratches that are not deep at all. There are just a few so I don't want to go through the insurance, plus I would just feel a lot more comfortable not having the original windshield taken out for just a few scratches. Is there some miracle solution out there that you spread on the glass and wipe away the excess? A friend was going on about how he heard of something like that in the past, but couldn't remember the name of the stuff.
Try here:
http://www.gtglass.com/glass_scratch_removal.html

BUT also read here:
http://www.pedalcraft.com/_disc2/00000005.htm

as always your choice

1 - 10 of 10 Posts