Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

do you still have the starting problem?

  • Not had it for over a month

    Votes: 36 28.3%
  • happens occassionally

    Votes: 42 33.1%
  • happens all the time

    Votes: 2 1.6%
  • never had it

    Votes: 47 37.0%

  • Total voters
    127
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have'nt heard about the starting problem for some time. Wondering if folks are still experiencing it or not. My pilot has not had the starting problem for more than 2 months now......:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
In the last few months I have not had it as bad as I once did. Where it would not crank up after 2-3 times turining the key. A couple times recently it would crank over longer and I would think oh great here we go again but it would fire up. Just enough of a delay to catch my attention but not enough to worry about
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Birdman said:
Good poll. Makes me re-wonder about the relation to temperature.....
yup interesting results so far.....:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
I have to be honest and say I have not had the starting issue in over 2 months! It is either the warmer weather compared to the colder/damper weather. Or could it be the winter fuel!!??

I was having the problem quite often and now it is gonezo..

Anyone with the problem before let us know how it is now?

rob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Your poll's actually rather timely, ramirami! I haven't had one now probably over a month now. The last one I had, it was only about a 4 second wait before the engine caught the ignition before it started. Yes, I count now, from the time I turn the key until the time the engine starts up. That's how bad it was for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
My starting problem only occurred when the outside temperature was 40 farenheit or below. After sitting all day at work in a cool, somewhat exposed parking garage, it would sometimes exhibit the problem. It never occurred first thing in the morning, where it had been sitting all night in a 50+ degree closed garage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RipRocK said:
Your poll's actually rather timely, ramirami! I haven't had one now probably over a month now. The last one I had, it was only about a 4 second wait before the engine caught the ignition before it started. Yes, I count now, from the time I turn the key until the time the engine starts up. That's how bad it was for me.
because of these results does make you wonder if its because of the winter fuel.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RipRocK said:

Gas stations actually sell "different" fuel during summer and winter?

yes...the gas companies have different additives for winter and summer...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
429 Posts
For us northerners they use a "oxygenated" fuel (ethanol added)for the winter. This is supposedly to help the enviroment during the winter months due to the cold weather. It is mandated by the Clean Air Act amendments of 1990. I believe that the left coasters use it year round if I remember correctly.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
m-mmeyer said:
For us northerners they use a "oxygenated" fuel (ethanol added)for the winter. This is supposedly to help the enviroment during the winter months due to the cold weather. It is mandated by the Clean Air Act amendments of 1990. I believe that the left coasters use it year round if I remember correctly.

Matt
For us Northern Southerners, too. A different mix is sold from November to February in the metro Washington D.C. area. It allegedly results in cleaner air, and definitely reduces mileage by about 1.5 miles per US gallon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
For those cold climates, where temps dip to -30C to -40C, ie Edmonton, the refineries also increase the vapour pressure of the fuel by changing the basic hydrocarbon components, usually by increasing the % of butane. That way the fuel will have similar vapourization characteristics at lower temperatures.... More information than folks really need to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
metallocene said:
For those cold climates, where temps dip to -30C to -40C, ie Edmonton, the refineries also increase the vapour pressure of the fuel by changing the basic hydrocarbon components, usually by increasing the % of butane. That way the fuel will have similar vapourization characteristics at lower temperatures.... More information than folks really need to know.
Thanks for the interesting info, metallocene. It's interesting that you mention something about vapourization. One of the service advisor I spoke with had mentioned something about a vapor lock in the fuel system (or was in the engine) or something about vapor needing to be cleared sometimes. Perhaps there really is something to that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
RipRocK said:

Thanks for the interesting info, metallocene. It's interesting that you mention something about vapourization. One of the service advisor I spoke with had mentioned something about a vapor lock in the fuel system (or was in the engine) or something about vapor needing to be cleared sometimes. Perhaps there really is something to that.
Hmmm, kinda interesting - although actual "vapor lock" (as it was called on older vehicles) was usually associated with the conventional fuel pumps that were located directly on the engine. Vapor lock problems (at least in my experience) went away when they started locating the fuel pump inside the fuel tank (or in the fuel line between the tank and the engine).

YMMV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
colorider said:
Hmmm, kinda interesting - although actual "vapor lock" (as it was called on older vehicles) was usually associated with the conventional fuel pumps that were located directly on the engine. Vapor lock problems (at least in my experience) went away when they started locating the fuel pump inside the fuel tank (or in the fuel line between the tank and the engine).

YMMV
Well, it seems like another lying dealer syndrome, N_Jay referred to it. They must snicker by now when I call, trying to see what other BS can be passed on to me.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
RipRocK said:

Well, it seems like another lying dealer syndrome, N_Jay referred to it. They must snicker by now when I call, trying to see what other BS can be passed on to me.
Maybe there is something to what he told you - all I was saying is what we used to call vapor lock.

But then - maybe it is as you say. Or maybe even the classic "Mushroom Syndrome"!!!

You know - keep you in the dark and feed you BS!!

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ATTENTION!!! :awais: :awais:


more votes needed...comeon folks cast votes if you have not...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Just wondering.....

If the starting "problem" doesn't happen any more often than we're seeing, how can we regard it as much of a problem? Especially if the car does start after a matter of seconds and hasn't left anybody stranded!
 
1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Top