Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
for below $50, it's the blend oil.

for full synthetic, it would be around 69.99-89.99
Yes, the invoice I saw for Blend was just over $50. It was for a turbo Civic too. Just crazy!

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
89 Posts
I mentioned this a couple of times yesterday with little reaction. After seeing an invoice of someone's $50+ oil change they get at the dealership, I copied and search the item number for the oil used. This person thought they were getting a FULL synthetic oil change. Now they know they've been paying for synthetic BLEND. The item number for this 0W20 oil is 0020C-BAS-N0L
View attachment 143711

Would anyone like to share their experience? What item # is on your invoice?
My experience with two Honda dealers suggests this is a dealer problem and maybe a service manager problem.

Full Synthetic changes Honda, Ford, GM, all run $70-80. The service mangler was likely not clear and the customer not paying attention.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #125

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
My experience with two Honda dealers suggests this is a dealer problem and maybe a service manager problem.

Full Synthetic changes Honda, Ford, GM, all run $70-80. The service mangler was likely not clear and the customer not paying attention.
Yes, Hence the reason for this discussion. Hopefully this helps someone.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L, 2017 Ridgeline RLT
24 Posts
It's certainly your vehicle and your choice.
Semi or Blend does not equal Full synthetic and is of lesser quality no matter how much it's excused by its meeting the minimum rating. Conventional oil products = a lower flash point. Lower flash point oil can pre-ignite causing misfire codes and burned oil in cylinders. This can lead to stuck valves and rings, fouled spark plugs and dirty injectors. Lets not forget clogged cats and EGR valve and passages from burned oil suet and vapors. Semi or Blend oils are dirty oils making for a dirty engine, no matter how often you change it.
All it takes is 1 drop of synthetic oil added to regular oil to be considered semi or blend. Many factory reps love to push the blend for some reason.

·
Registered
662 Posts
All it takes is 1 drop of synthetic oil added to regular oil to be considered semi or blend. Many factory reps love to push the blend for some reason.
Not to mention, again ... "full synthetic" is not the same as 100% synthetic. Only the latter is all synthetic with no regular oil or additives. I guess I did mention it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is full synthetic oil 100% synthetic?
Yes there is. Full synthetic (API Type III) is highly refined petroleum base with synthetic additives. The 100% synthetic (API Type IV) is formulated with a synthetic base and synthetic additives.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
It's more profitable.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm lazy or I would so the search myself,.......But does anyone have access to a link for the specific Honda recommendations for oil? (Blend of Synthetic)

Thanks,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Page 640. I never took the time to go to page 640 to find out that Honda does not require synthetic oil. My opinion, this is how dealers can get away with using blended or full fossil oil verses always using synthetic. After all, if Honda required full synthetic oil then there is no ethical way Honda dealers could use anything but full synthetic.

Recommended Engine Oil Use a genuine engine oil or another commercial engine oil of suitable type and viscosity (for the ambient temperature) as shown in the image that follows. Oil is a major contributor to your engine’s performance and longevity. If you drive the vehicle with insufficient or deteriorated oil, the engine may fail or be damaged. *1:Formulated to improve fuel economy. ■ Synthetic oil You may also use synthetic motor oil if it is labeled with the API Certification Seal and is the specified viscosity grade. Genuine Engine Oil Commercial Engine Oil ● Honda Genuine Motor Oil ● Premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container. 1Recommended Engine Oil Engine Oil Additives Your vehicle does not require oil additives. In fact, they may adversely affect the engine performance and durability. The following seal indicates the oil is energy conserving and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s latest

Link to a Honda dealership that offers a FULL SYNTHETIC oil change with filter for $54.95

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Reactions: 2017EX-L

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #139

·
Registered
75 Posts

In my book this falls under the category of: "If it sounds too good to be true,......."

I purchased my 2017 EX-L with 20K miles and it has the extended warranty. But, barring any warranty issues I won't be having my work done at a Honda dealer. As mentioned, I was burned the first oil change I had on my Pilot where I specifically asked if this was to be "Full synthetic," and they confirmed. Upon receipt of my invoice it read "Blend."

121 - 140 of 147 Posts