Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
36 Posts
Correct, your doing it yourself. You know what's going in.
In another life, (1980s) I was an ASE Master Line Technician at a major multi-franchise import dealer (not Honda). I've seen some stuff at dealer shops first hand especially lube bays. Enough said. I barely even trust myself to do maintenance work on my Honda let alone some unknown at a dealer.

I'm now retired from a completely different line of work.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Elite- Sapphire Steel Metallic 7P (gray) Delivery Date: 11-14-20
36 Posts
Where does any vaporized oil go? Into the catalytic converters.
That's after the vaporized oil makes a trip through your PCV system and intake plenum and intake valves. Full synthetics do this the least.
I always say not to trust a place that advertises cheap oil change prices. You will get "whatever" bulk oil put into your engine with a filthy oil lube gun many times.

An honest shop will charge $100 + to ONLY do an oil / filter change and to have a qualified, honest tech look over your vehicle and top off the fluids and maybe rotate your tires.
All other places seem to be "upsell" motivated to cover their "bargain" $29 oil changes.

Great thread. Lots of good info here from smart Honda owners.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Warren Oil Company Inc makes pretty much all the motor oil distributed almost everywhere. Mobil one, Supertech, Amazon, Shell Rotella ect. So if there is a difference between Mobil one High milage vs Supertech High Milage or any other private labels they make other then the container and price, that is the million dollar question. All the oils pass the automotive industry certifications guidelines. If you find out let us all know.
I use to have a spread sheet that showed all the private label motor oils that Warren distributes but I cannot find it, but I remember it was vast.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Warren Oil Company, Inc makes pretty much all the oil distributed. Mobil one, Supertech, Amazon, Shell Rotella. So if there is a difference between Mobil one High milage vs Supertech High Milage ect other then the container and price, that is the million dollar question. All the oils pass the automotive industry certifications guidelines. If you find out let us all know.
I use to have a spread sheet that showed all the oil that Warren distributed but I cannot find it, but I remember it was vast.
I'd rather use a Super Tech, Kirkland or Amazon Full Synthetic oil made by Warren than a Semi or Blend oil from Honda.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Warren is a top generic house brand. You'd be amazed how many major label oils they bottle too. A "WPP" on the bottom of a bottle can be a dead giveaway depending.
"Warren Performance Packaging" I believe.
Supertech full synthetic comes close to Mobil One if not surpassing it. Sometimes Walmart full synthetic is WPP and sometimes it isn't depending on where you live, I think.
I like Idemitsu in a Honda just because, but I'd be running Mobil One or Supertech synthetic aside from that.
It's fair to say that Supertech and Amazon are major oil brands now and not generic considering sales volumes even if they are just retail names. The synthetics are darn good.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Warren is a top generic house brand. You'd be amazed how many major label oils they bottle too. A "WPP" on the bottom of a bottle can be a dead giveaway depending.
"Warren Performance Packaging" I believe.

Supertech full synthetic comes close to Mobil One if not surpassing it. Sometimes Walmart full synthetic is WPP and sometimes it isn't depending on where you live, I think.
I like Idemitsu in a Honda just because, but I'd be running Mobil One or Supertech synthetic aside from that.
I wouldn't go out on a limb and say any of these generic oils made by Warren are better than many brand names oils. The Project Farm guy proved that in the oil play off video.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn't go out on a limb and say any of these generic oils made by Warren are better than many brand names oils. The Project Farm guy proved that in the oil play off video.
You sound more up to date on it than me. I was basing my thoughts on some VOA samples I saw and they looked really good. I like that Project Farm guy. I'll look at some synthetic oil shootout videos. Usually Mobil One and Amsoil win.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
You sound more up to date on it than me. I was basing my thoughts on some VOA samples I saw and they looked really good. I like that Project Farm guy. I'll look at some synthetic oil shootout videos. Usually Mobil One and Amsoil win.
Amzoil won, but ya, it ought to for the price. Surprisingly Pennzoil Platinum was the runner up. For my concern of oil evaporation and trying to attain a 10k mile oil change, I'm staying with Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil. It beat all of them on the evaporation (thermal breakdown) test.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hard to go wrong with any of the oils we're discussing here and a 3.5 is not a high stress engine design. It's not as if these engines need the latest cutting edge oils. Any good syn. will do.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Hard to go wrong with any of the oils we're discussing here and a 3.5 is not a high stress engine design. It's not as if these engines need the latest cutting edge oils. Any good syn. will do.
I'd only argue the point because I'm pushing the limits on 9 vehicles. Otherwise all I'll be doing is changing oil all the time. 😅

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd only argue the point because I'm pushing the limits on 9 vehicles. Otherwise all I'll be doing is changing oil all the time. 😅
I could say .... “fill them all with Amsoil that way you only need to do 9 oil changes a year.” ... but I won’t. 😎

Do you own a dealership or do you just have a big family?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
I could say .... “fill them all with Amsoil that way you only need to do 9 oil changes a year.” ... but I won’t. 😎

Some family and a small business.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd only argue the point because I'm pushing the limits on 9 vehicles.
Yeah, that's a lot of oil changes. 10k miles might be do-able if the vehicles see long trips. The MM would probably give you at least that long if you did almost all highway driving, but I don't like the idea of following a MM.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Yeah, that's a lot of oil changes. 10k miles might be do-able if the vehicles see long trips. The MM would probably give you at least that long if you did almost all highway driving, but I don't like the idea of following a MM.
It is mostly highway driving. I'm doing them at 7.5k miles atm.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts

Speculation that he's the designated mechanic on a sprawling cult compound persists unabated. :)

101 - 120 of 147 Posts