Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
When I come across stuff like this..
View attachment 138820
Probably "bait & switch", and using a Original Honda piece as an image reference, even though what you get will likely be completely different. The fact that the minimum order is 1000+ pieces, they are targeting business, for essentially "take the money and run" IMO. Easy way to make $1-2k, and if they actually sell you a real filter, probably cost like 15c USD/each or something ridiculous.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably "bait & switch", and using a Original Honda piece as an image reference, even though what you get will likely be completely different. The fact that the minimum order is 1000+ pieces, they are targeting business, for essentially "take the money and run" IMO. Easy way to make $1-2k, and if they actually sell you a real filter, probably cost like 15c USD/each or something ridiculous.
Is this the same filter you buy at the dealership? Likely not. You can find lots of supposed OEM on E-bay.

·
Banned
1 Posts
If that part is easily available then I will buy that genuine honda part but if it is not, then I just buy other brands.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is on E-bay. Says "Genuine." Doesn't look to genuine to me.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,398 Posts
Genuine Honda parts seems like a marketing scheme. Yeah the parts are good but you pay for the name. I don’t need perfection and can’t tell the difference between most things.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
I like the piece of mind knowing I got a quality part. One example is I have heard so many stories of people buying cheap alternators with lifetime warranties, only to have to replace them over and over again until they learn. An original Denso alternator could last 7-8 years with daily driving, I know because that how long it lasted for me.
So past performance is a indicator of future performance in IMHO, and I would not put a cheap part on even if I was selling the vehicle, although I never sell my vehicles they die of old age or idiots totaling them on me.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Genuine Honda parts seems like a marketing scheme. Yeah the parts are good but you pay for the name. I don’t need perfection and can’t tell the difference between most things.
If I'm going to pay extra for what is supposed to be Genuine or OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), then that's what I expect. I don't believe my Pilot came with this company's Honda branded oil filter, but after seeing this, I'd lean towards buying a aftermarket Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter or another trust worthy brand.
The timing belt water pump kit on E-bay just looks like fake merchandise. I doubt that is a Koyo bearing in that plastic wrapper.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
Bring the manufacturing we lost and these fake sellers will be wearing orange and picking up garbage on the side of the road. E-commerce platforms are getting away with to much.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Is this the same filter you buy at the dealership? Likely not. You can find lots of supposed OEM on E-bay.
By "real filter", I mean an actual oil filter (not "genuine" OEM/Honda), vs sending you something that isn't an oil filter. Other thing is, one mans "trash" is another's "treasure", so there's lots of stuff that fail QA for legit manufactures, to be scooped out of a dumpster, and resold. I mean, what's to stop someone from retooling an existing setup for oil filters, painting them blue, and stamping whatever text/logo's they want on it. E.g. turn the most budget "Fram" into a OEM with some paint, and different stampings.

For "genuine" Honda parts, I either pick it up from the dealer here, or order via sites like Majestic Honda, and Bernardi Honda. Too much non-Genuine stuff being sold online. As for oil filters, I just buy a K&N from the local auto-parts store, and do for all my vehicles. "Gotta pay to play"

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By "real filter", I mean an actual oil filter (not "genuine" OEM/Honda), vs sending you something that isn't an oil filter. Other thing is, one mans "trash" is another's "treasure", so there's lots of stuff that fail QA for legit manufactures, to be scooped out of a dumpster, and resold. I mean, what's to stop someone from retooling an existing setup for oil filters, painting them blue, and stamping whatever text/logo's they want on it. E.g. turn the most budget "Fram" into a OEM with some paint, and different stampings.

For "genuine" Honda parts, I either pick it up from the dealer here, or order via sites like Majestic Honda, and Bernardi Honda. Too much non-Genuine stuff being sold online. As for oil filters, I just buy a K&N from the local auto-parts store, and do for all my vehicles. "Gotta pay to play"
Agree.
RockAuto is about as far as I want to push my online buying. They save me lots of money.
I have bought used parts on E-bay.

Reactions: cloudasc

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts
This is on E-bay. Says "Genuine." Doesn't look to genuine to me.
View attachment 138821

That's what I thought when I first arrived in Japan and looked at their restaurant window displays. :)

plastic food in japan at DuckDuckGo

For mission-critical parts like sensors, solenoids, VTM-4 fluid and such, I stick to OEM.

For interchangeable mission-critical parts like brakes, shocks, etc., I go with Rockauto.

For interchangeable non-mission-critical parts, like a replacement plastic fender liner, taillight housing or bulbs, I'll go with eBay, Amazon or other such online sources.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
Bring the manufacturing we lost to China back home, and these fake sellers will be wearing orange and picking up garbage on the side of the road. E-commerce platforms are getting away with to much.
Then you would be looking to buy the Genuine Honda Parts as they would be cheaper than the ones made here. We didn't loose manufacturing to other countries, we drove it away.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Then you would be looking to buy the Genuine Honda Parts as they would be cheaper than the ones made here. We didn't loose manufacturing to other countries, we drove it away.
I'd be glad to buy parts made in the USA. I just don't like paying a high price because of the corporate high rise structure that comes from monopolies and hired workers from the mob.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
I'd be glad to buy parts made in the USA. I just don't like paying a high price because of the corporate high rise structure that comes from monopolies and hired workers from the mob.
What mob would that be? The hay day of La Cosa Nostra ended back in the 90's. They are a shell of what they once were. The only viable families are now in the North East part of the country. Their hold over unions greatly declined in the 90's as well.

High prices for US made goods is economic for sure. It however is economic from our own want's. The American Dream now includes larger houses with every known electronic, expensive phones, etc. The average American assembly line worker gets $21 an hour. The average Chinese assembly line worker gets $4.50 an hour. Manufacturers are consumers as well. They consume labor.

Just like you don't want to pay $200 for tires for your vehicle. They don't want to pay $21 an hour to build your struts, tie rods, transmissions, engine parts etc. American workers priced themselves out of many labor jobs due to wage demands and the demands for easier labor.

Simple economics 101, like it or not.

Next time you are walking into Walmart cursing about all them Merican jobs them fereigners took away from us, as you head in to buy cheaper underwear, shirts, pants or what ever keep in mind you are that reason all of those things you are going in to buy are made out of country.

American Manufacturers are acting just like their American buyers, looking for the cheapest price.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What mob would that be? The hay day of La Cosa Nostra ended back in the 90's. They are a shell of what they once were. The only viable families are now in the North East part of the country. Their hold over unions greatly declined in the 90's as well.

High prices for US made goods is economic for sure. It however is economic from our own want's. The American Dream now includes larger houses with every known electronic, expensive phones, etc. The average American assembly line worker gets $21 an hour. The average Chinese assembly line worker gets $4.50 an hour. Manufacturers are consumers as well. They consume labor.

Just like you don't want to pay $200 for tires for your vehicle. They don't want to pay $21 an hour to build your struts, tie rods, transmissions, engine parts etc. American workers priced themselves out of many labor jobs due to wage demands and the demands for easier labor.

Next time you are walking into Walmart cursing about all them Merican jobs them fereigners took away from us, as you head in to buy cheaper underwear, shirts, pants or what ever keep in mind you are that reason all of those things you are going in to buy are made out of country.

American Manufacturers are acting just like their American buyers, looking for the cheapest price.
Quality, Value and Price. Get those things in order and you will have success.
Anyone want a pair of recalled Harbor Freight 6-Ton Jack Stands? Lol

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,241 Posts

Same in Canada. The vast majority of Canadians would never accept to pay what they would expect to be paid for most products (and even services). Conversely, they would never accept to be paid what they would accept to pay for most products (and even services).

Not only is that simple economics 101, it's world economic history 101.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
Quality, Value and Price. Get those things in order and you will have success.
Anyone want a pair of recalled Harbor Freight 6-Ton Jack Stands? Lol
I really don't want to know how they got to find out a defective jack stand for it to be recalled.
I hope no one is on a wheelchair for life because of that.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I like to buy high quality aftermarket parts (like on Rock Auto or 1A, not the super cheap parts they sell) unless a certain OEM part is recommended to be superior. Then I trudge to a College Hills Honda or other OEM parts supplier and get it there.

All the issues with Amazon and Ebay parts, it's pretty easy to tell which of the sellers are dealerships selling on those platforms and which ones are not. So spend a couple bucks more and use the one you know is a dealership and you will never have an issue.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All the issues with Amazon and Ebay parts, it's pretty easy to tell which of the sellers are dealerships selling on those platforms and which ones are not.
Being relatively new to the forum, I had previously bought a set of NGK Laser Iridium plugs off Amazon, unaware of counterfeit issues. After having worries, I pull the front 3 plugs on my V6 Crosstour and determined these were imports from Japan, not counterfeit. This item had high ratings indicating that the seller was satisfactory. EBay let's a lot of garbage on their website. Amazon polices it much more.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts