·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Denso #2100774 = 110 Amp
Accord, Crosstour
Denso #2100766 = 130 Amp
Odyssey, Pilot
I'd like to install the 130 Amp on my 2012 V6 Crosstour even though it calls for the 110.
Electrical connection is verified the same.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Photo comparison.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I had no issues replacing the OEM alternator with a new higher amp Denso on my ‘97 Avalon. However newer vehicles might be more sensitive so ymmv

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no issues replacing the OEM alternator with a new higher amp Denso on my ‘97 Avalon. However newer vehicles might be more sensitive so ymmv
Yes, used to get the "Heavy Duty" alternator in the old days.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
If you have the need for the extra amperage, go for it. They appear to have the same form factor and pulley.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have the need for the extra amperage, go for it. They appear to have the same form factor and pulley.
The reman price for Denso is the same. And more is better, right? It always seemed the higher amp alternators being better built would last longer. Anyone could poke holes in the need asspect of my question, but hey, I may want to Mad Max this baby out some day. Sure wouldn't want the alternator to be proved to weak then. 😬

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
A high amp alternator will be putting out a lot more juice than the factory unit, and your power and ground cables were more than likely chosen with the OEM unit in mind. The current cables might not be big enough. You might want to consider replacing both the ground straps and the power cable that runs from the alternator to the battery with heavier gauge cables.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A high amp alternator will be putting out a lot more juice than the factory unit, and your power and ground cables were more than likely chosen with the OEM unit in mind. The current cables might not be big enough. You might want to consider replacing both the ground straps and the power cable that runs from the alternator to the battery with heavier gauge cables.
I read that.
The alternator will only put out what's being demanded of it. Not a huge concern, but noted.
Thank you.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
Since the alternator will regulate the current it outputs based on need, the benefit of the 130A alternator versus the 110A alternator is the 130A alternator will be operating with more margin (thereby running cooler) from its maximum rated output compared to the 110A alternator. Theoretically you’d expect the 130A alternator to last longer than the 110A alternator.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After thinking about this alternator problem all day, I've settled on a 130 amp Remy remanufactured. So I'm going forward with putting a Pilot Alternator in my Crosstour. 🤠

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Don't come crying back here when it all blows up in your face. :p

Actually, I'd be interested in your incremental Mad Max build. Post pics.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't come crying back here when it all blows up in your face. :p
I got a vote of confidence from @road2cycle , the parts man said it looked ok to do. So I took the leap. What's the worst that could happen? 💣💥But it does seem I'm always making myself the guinea pig. 😑

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok. The 130amp alternator is installed. Lined up perfectly. No whamies on the 75mph test drive. Battery Light gone.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
So far, so good. (y) Now time for a real test.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts