Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Are there too many Pilots?

• No, are there any Pilots out there? Haven’t seen any yet.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • No, there can never be too many of them.

Votes: 41 31.8%
  • Not yet, just about the right number of them on the road.

Votes: 68 52.7%
  • Yes, way too many of them.

Votes: 15 11.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we are approaching the end of the 03 model year and more than 100,000 Honda Pilots later, I thought it might be timely to consider the issue of whether there are now too many Pilots on the road. Actually, the thing that prompted me was the fact that over the last 3 days, in 3 different states, I found 3 Starlight Silver Pilots each in 3 separate parking lots. Furthermore, on the roads, we saw a good number of Pilots, and our reaction went from "Wow a Silver (Pilot)" to "Oh, here comes another … and another … and another …"

Now I love my Pilot and understand that it is very popular and Honda isn’t exactly an exclusive brand, but I’m beginning to miss the uniqueness and rarity factor that I felt as recently as a month ago. I fear that soon, Pilots will become as ubiquitous as an Accord or Camry or god-forbid an Explorer and I will start not noticing them at all. Oh well, guess its time to get more accessories ! :D

Anyway, just wondering what people feel about this.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Too many? Not yet, in my opinion. I live in a place where there are probably more Pilots than most places and I still don't see one every day. Some days I'll see 3 or 4 like mine but other days not a single one. I used to hate having to explain what a Honda Pilot was when I told someone about my great new car. Finally people are starting to see them on the road and realize what I'm driving without the explanation.
100,000 Pilots a year is a pretty good ratio. Still nothing close to the Exploder or JGC. Of course those have been around for at least a decade, I wonder if the Pilot will be that popular in 10 years.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
way too many from when I bought mine....see plenty in my neibourhood...

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I'm generally seeing more Pilots. But, where my travels take me, they are VASTLY OUTNUMBERED by JGCs and Explorers.

I work for a company with ~ 2500 employees at this location. Only in the last couple of weeks has another PILOT shown up in the parking lot....and wouldn't you know, it's another Starlight Silver like mine.

(I do plan to "card" my fellow employee's windshield with a Honda-Pilot.org card as soon as I can remember to print out another batch)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not yet.

After receiving our Pilot in June, our family went on a 2,500 mile vacation between NY state and Wisconsin. We were surprised that we saw only 5 Pilots during the entire trip, two of which were at the same exit in Ohio when we stopped for lunch.

We do see a good number where we live, but there are 3 Honda dealerships within a 15 mile radius. Perhaps Pilots congregate around the dealerships ;)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Ziploc said:
I'm generally seeing more Pilots. But, where my travels take me, they are VASTLY OUTNUMBERED by JGCs and Explorers.

I work for a company with ~ 2500 employees at this location. Only in the last couple of weeks has another PILOT shown up in the parking lot....and wouldn't you know, it's another Starlight Silver like mine.

(I do plan to "card" my fellow employee's windshield with a Honda-Pilot.org card as soon as I can remember to print out another batch)
It's ironic that Ziploc and I live within 5 miles of each other and I see my share of Pilots everyday, so much so that I stopped snapping pictures! :p

Here's a montage (representing each of the colors except one) of some of the Pilots in Kemotown -- my neighbor has an Evergreen Pearl, but I haven't had the chance to take a photo of it yet... :(

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
I still don't see very many of them around, way more JGC, Explorers and Durangos.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I see at least 3 everyday (excluding the parking lot at work), and some days as many as 8. The numbers have increased significantly in the last 4 months. There's so many, I can only remember the twin to my Havasu in Mount Laurel, and the black and red ones at work. But there's way more JGC's and Explorers. And there's about five H2 Hummers I see all the time. Those things are huge!

MarkB

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have NEVER seen another 2003 Pilot in the entire area of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan since I bought mine on July 1, 2002!!
Maybe somebody could tell me why! The Pilot is an ideal vehicle for the snow, sleet, and ice we get from November through April.:7:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Re: Not yet.

jazcar said:
We do see a good number where we live, but there are 3 Honda dealerships within a 15 mile radius. Perhaps Pilots congregate around the dealerships ;)
I live in a town that has one Honda dealership and no Saturn dealers (the closest one is an hour away). And yet I see very few Pilots but tons of VUEs. This place is crawling with Hondas, but few Pilots - there are only a couple I see on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
yolk said:
Now that we are approaching the end of the 03 model year and more than 100,000 Honda Pilots later, I thought it might be timely to consider the issue of whether there are now too many Pilots on the road...
What do you suggest we do about it? Ask Honda to stop or start more bad rumors?:bonk:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: Re: Are there too many Pilots?

tim.s said:
What do you suggest we do about it? Ask Honda to stop or start more bad rumors?:bonk:
I like the the bad rumors idea. Maybe I could get a better deal when I buy my pilot. :4:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have seen about half a dozen on the road, including the wifes.

But then I am in the middle of the big 3 so, not that surprising that more are not spoted around here.

Bloke.

·
Registered
686 Posts
To many Pilots

In Midland, Texas I seen two other Pilots a Red one and a White one. When I see them parked, I will have to put a Honda-Pilot .Org card on their windshield. There will never be to many Pilots. Keep on Piloting. Regards Rockman

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
In a big metropolitan area like Los Angeles, I see very few Pilots. The ones I do see occasionally are usually pretty basic, no crossbars, no running boards.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
wwong said:
In a big metropolitan area like Los Angeles, I see very few Pilots. The ones I do see occasionally are usually pretty basic, no crossbars, no running boards.
The question is - have you ever seen one with MORE add-ons than yours?!?!?!?! :D

What a list:
Half Nose Mask
Lower Trim
Lower Trim Garnish
Bumper Garnish
Fog Lights
Whel Locks
Fender Flares
Crossbars
Door Mirror Covers
Drawtite Vent Visors
3M Door Edge Guards
Running Boards
Rear Splash Guards
Chrome Exhaust Tips
h-p.org sticker
Wooden Shift Lever
Center Console Foam Pads
All Season Floor Mats
Cargo Cover
Cargo Organizer
Cargo Tray
Cargo Liner
B-Pillars Protected
Networkcar
Power Inverter
Rear View Camera

:2: :2: :2:

·
Registered
409 Posts
No Way!

I don't think there can be too many great cars, trucks or SUV's. Everybody deserves one of these great Pilot's!

Don:rolleyes:

·
Registered
991 Posts
yolk said:
Now that we are approaching the end of the 03 model year and more than 100,000 Honda Pilots later, I thought it might be timely to consider the issue of whether there are now too many Pilots on the road. Actually, the thing that prompted me was the fact that over the last 3 days, in 3 different states, I found 3 Starlight Silver Pilots each in 3 separate parking lots. Furthermore, on the roads, we saw a good number of Pilots, and our reaction went from "Wow a Silver (Pilot)" to "Oh, here comes another … and another … and another …"

Now I love my Pilot and understand that it is very popular and Honda isn’t exactly an exclusive brand, but I’m beginning to miss the uniqueness and rarity factor that I felt as recently as a month ago. I fear that soon, Pilots will become as ubiquitous as an Accord or Camry or god-forbid an Explorer and I will start not noticing them at all. Oh well, guess its time to get more accessories ! :D

Anyway, just wondering what people feel about this.

Ahh, finally I can say I don't have a Silver I have a HAVASU, and there are not as many of them!! Maybe even a little unique.

Just had to rub it in silver Pilot people

:D

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Are there too many Pilots?

gopilot said:

Ahh, finally I can say I don't have a Silver I have a HAVASU, and there are not as many of them!! Maybe even a little unique.

Just had to rub it in silver Pilot people

:D
gopilot: And your Havasu will be even more rare when the 2004's come out, assuming that the rumors about the Havasu Blue Metallic being discontinued are true... ;) :) :8:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts