Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 17, it hasn't been back to the dealer for any service other than maintenance since I got it. Are there any updated to the adaptive cruise software? It is way to rough on the brakes, running up on people and jamming them on. I've tried several different distance settings.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have a 17, it hasn't been back to the dealer for any service other than maintenance since I got it. Are there any updated to the adaptive cruise software? It is way to rough on the brakes, running up on people and jamming them on. I've tried several different distance settings.
Why I don’t use it unless traffic is light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wondered the same thing after driving a 2019 CR-V loaner from the dealership. The difference was like night and day. With the 2019 the braking when a slower car is ahead is very gradual (unless some clown passes you and pulls in and hits the binders) and it also takes you all the way to a stop. I asked the dealer about any software updates and he said he was not aware of any for my 2016 Pilot Elite.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I wondered the same thing after driving a 2019 CR-V loaner from the dealership. The difference was like night and day. With the 2019 the braking when a slower car is ahead is very gradual (unless some clown passes you and pulls in and hits the binders) and it also takes you all the way to a stop. I asked the dealer about any software updates and he said he was not aware of any for my 2016 Pilot Elite.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that the Pilot (at least through the 2019 model) doesn't have low speed follow.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I agree, ACC is WAY too aggressive/intrusive even on the "closest" setting. I won't use it. Sucks too because we paid extra for Honda Sensing and don't get to use ACC because it's junk.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can use just old school cruise control. Can;t remember off hand how to invoke it, but can be done on 2019 Touring. Removes ACC from the mix.

I really dislike the BRAKE and braking action when you come upon another car in the opposite lane in a curve!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Maybe only use it on the highway. I have it on my 19 EX-L and use it once in a while with no real issues. I don't think I can use "old school" cruise on EX-L, but wish I could.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maybe only use it on the highway. I have it on my 19 EX-L and use it once in a while with no real issues. I don't think I can use "old school" cruise on EX-L, but wish I could.
Try pressing and holding down the button that sets the ACC car distance to see if that switches between ACC and regular cruise control.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You can certainly use "old school" cruise. I didn't know it at first but after looking in the manual, all that you have to do is press and hold the interval button for 1-2 seconds to switch from ACC to normal CC. Interval is the button on the steering wheel with the car and distance hash marks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You can certainly use "old school" cruise. I didn't know it at first but after looking in the manual, all that you have to do is press and hold the interval button for 1-2 seconds to switch from ACC to normal CC. Interval is the button on the steering wheel with the car and distance hash marks.
I'll give it a try. I was pretty sure I tried that and all it did was turn it off, but I'll try again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You have to do it when the ACC/LKAS indicator is on, but not engaged. So basically, if it's off, press "main" to turn it on, hold down the distance button until you hear a beep, then engage CC. You'll see a new indicator on the dash that says "cruise mode" in between ACC and LKAS. That will get you the old style.

I prefer the old way as well. ACC was braking and accelerating harder than I liked. Besides, I can just pass somebody who's going slower than me. There's no need to stomp on the brakes just because I'm doing 70 and somebody ten carlengths ahead is doing 65. To me, it feels like a solution that's searching for a problem (unless you're trying to use it in heavy traffic).

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is a next generation if i remember correctly, so it will likely appear on the new generation pilot:-(
Someone posted here that the 2020 Pilot does have low-speed follow. I wonder if they made any additional enhancements to the way ACC behaves.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Someone posted here that the 2020 Pilot does have low-speed follow. I wonder if they made any additional enhancements to the way ACC behaves.
I could not find anything online about any updates to 2020 Honda Sensing. Source or it did not happen:) I would seriously consider an upgrade if it made the user experience for Honda Sensing much better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I googled "2019 pilot adaptive cruise control" to get the PDF from the Honda site. "Low speed follow" does not appear in the PDF.

and then I googled "2020 pilot adaptive cruise control" for the PDF... "Low speed follow" was found in the PDF.

The PDF mention low speed follow... But does not state zero mph.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I googled "2019 pilot adaptive cruise control" to get the PDF from the Honda site. "Low speed follow" does not appear in the PDF.

and then I googled "2020 pilot adaptive cruise control" for the PDF... "Low speed follow" was found in the PDF.

The PDF mention low speed follow... But does not state zero mph.

So followed your steps and here is what I got: Press the Interval button to change the ACC with Low Speed Follow following interval. Each time you press the button, the following-interval setting cycles through extra long, long, middle, and short following-intervals (Translation: adaptive cruise control will slow down your car if the car in front of you slows down but works best up to 25 mph and this button allows you to set the interval). Vehicle speed for adaptive cuise control should be above 25 mph. Read the full brochure. Also, this feature is not available in all cars (their own disclaimer).

I think there is a confusion in verbiage. Pilot still has an old generation ACC, not the newer one available in CRV. It still sucks but it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
So followed your steps and here is what I got: Press the Interval button to change the ACC with Low Speed Follow following interval. Each time you press the button, the following-interval setting cycles through extra long, long, middle, and short following-intervals (Translation: adaptive cruise control will slow down your car if the car in front of you slows down but works best up to 25 mph and this button allows you to set the interval). Vehicle speed for adaptive cuise control should be above 25 mph. Read the full brochure. Also, this feature is not available in all cars (their own disclaimer).

I think there is a confusion in verbiage. Pilot still has an old generation ACC, not the newer one available in CRV. It still sucks but it works.
So why the references to Low Speed Follow (and no mention of it for 2019)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
So why the references to Low Speed Follow (and no mention of it for 2019)?
Good question. Unfortunately, Honda is hiding the fact that there are two levels of Honda Sensing: Full speed range ACC and Partial. 2020 Pilot is not advertising LSF on the website. The manual you found could be an error or it could be an indicator that this feature is offered at least in some markets (The site also has a disclaimer that the content may not apply to all models). One would think that LSF is a great feature and Honda would be screaming about it from the top of the roof. When you click on the video about ACC on the same site you got the PDF, it will take you to 2019 Pilot video. Also, I downloaded 2020 Pilot manual and there was no mentioning of LSF. It seems identical to 2019. I am no expert by any means, just connecting the dots.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I turned that adaptive crap two days after I got the car. Back to “old school”. Very annoying that adaptive is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
adg8165
Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
Piloteers.org forum community offers tech info, troubleshooting, modification DIY’s and discussion for the Honda Pilot SUV.
Full Forum Listing