Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out from dealer that my Silver EX-L w/Navi is on the way (FINALLY!). For those existing owners, are the fog lights worth it? The dealer quoted me $750 installed which seems ridiculous considering you can buy them yourself for approx $350 ish. when i almost dropped the phone, the rep said maybe he could drop that by $100.

Either I don't get them or do it myself at that price point. Feedback?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fog lights at my dealership installed are going to run around $550. (sorry, I don't have my accessory price sheet in front of me) I would say even that is high. So don't ask my opinion of $6/750.

Are they worth it? Well answer me this. Do you have them now? Do you see a marked improvement if you do have them? If you don't currently have them, do you drive down the road thinking, geez I should drop $500 + for better lighting?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Do it yourself

It is not as scarry a job as some make it sound.

·
Registered
124 Posts
got an lx..

...lower trim w/ foglights and deflector......looks agressive helps at night driving esp on zero ligths area, and plus they're adjustable they can be set straight or pointing at an angle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Definitely

I bought mine for $276 plus S/H and did it by my self. Definitely improved the lighting.

However, it makes the headlight look even weaker if the fog is not on. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
forgot to mention this

However, the labor is not easy though. Depending on your skill and whether or not you can get help from somebody else, the duration of the installation could be lenghty.

I create a thread before and here below is the link.

My DIY Experience

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I just noticed

You removed the bumper without the grill.
This is not the way it is recommended to be done in either the Fog Light instructions or the general bumper removal instructions from the service manual.
This may have made the job a bit biger than needed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No

Well, the difference is only 3 minutes, top. I don't think this is the case. I would say it is because that I do not have a garage. I am still living in an apartment. The tools are not coming handy. Besides that, I have to carry the bumper up and down the stair do drill the hole. That slows down alot.

By the way, when I take the dilivery of the car, I asked the sales that whether the DIY affect the warrantee. She said that as long as I do not splice wire, it will be OK. I know you did some modification of the Fog wire. I am wondering if that will affect the warrantee.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Worth It?

Fortunately my Pilot was my Dealer's 1st fog light installation so they had not yet "clocked" actual tech time. If I recall correctly, they were going to subsequently figure their "cost" installed somewhere around $500.

The fogs fill in nicely below and to the sides of the low beams but IMHO don't add much forward projected light. [I let my silver stars take care of forward.] They did work nicely in the limited fog I have encountered and suspect they will do so in falling snow also.

I'd do it again, but $650 to $750 seems awfully high, even for dealer installed. If you are considering DIY, might be worthwhile to view installation instructions first at collegehillshonda.com to help you decide.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Leaving the grill attached to the bumper eliminates the need to get to the clips between the bumper and the grill.
The top of the grill is held on by very easy to remove pin type clips.

Since I did not remove the grill from the bumper, I am not sure how hard it was to remove those clips.

As for warentee. They would have to show that the modification caused the failure. SO, I guess the fog light switch harness now has no warentee. I guess if I tried to get then to replace the fog light bulbs under warenty they may say they are on more than designed because of my modification, and I guess if the car were to burn up due to a short in my modified harness I could have a problem.

But the rest of the warrenty is unaffected.

I have never had an electrical problem due to any of the modifications I have done to my cars in the last 25 years

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks, N_Jay

Very reasonable. I am thinking to do the same as you did. I will ask the dealer before I do it. I am pretty sure they are not going to like it but your reasoning will defintely help.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Most dealer will not do modifications.
Most dealers will do all they can to get you to not do modifications.
It is of little to no value, and some risk for them to help you change your car away from factory specifications.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Re: Definitely

aerostar45 said:
I bought mine for $276 plus S/H and did it by my self. Definitely improved the lighting.
The Fog lights can be had for $245 delivered --
see my signature link for details. I believe
I paid about 2 1/2 - 3 hrs of labor to have them installed. Not cheap, but more reasonable then
what the MSRP prices are.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok, Now you make me feel bad of myself

Where did this superman come from?

Thanks for the info though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks folks for all the info and help. I am going to buy them for the $245 (Kruzo, expect and email soon) and then review the install myself first and fall back to a local dealer if I don't do it. I called all of the local dealers and get a variety of install prices as well as parts prices. I'll post them below for reference.

But first, we are still waiting on the Pilot. "any day now"!!

These are the prices quoted over the phone from all Cincinnati, OH dealers (names not revealed to protect the guilty, parts price/install price):

380/200, 389/250, 334/250, 389/195, 414/170

isn't the pricing diferences bizzare esp copmpared to the various online dealer prices (HAW, Kruzo, etc)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mounting on Foglights aren't flush

I just had the dealer install Factory Honda Foglights, and when I received the car, I noticed that the moulding surrounding the foglight was not flush with the bumper. There were about 1/2 cm gaps on both sides of the moulding on each foglight. It looked terrible, especially since I just paid almost $600 for them to install it. The dealer said that all of the foglights that they installed had this gap. To me this is unacceptable. I made them fix it or buy me a new bumper. It took them a day to try and figure out a fix, and now it looks alright. Not perfect, but I can live with it. I am just suprised that Honda would be willing to put out a product that does not fit perfectly. There are still small almost imperceptible gaps, but it really annoyed me that the dealer tried to say that it was "normal". The nerve of them. Just a warning, they do not fit flush no matter how you do it. Had I known how much of a headache this was going to be, i would have had some aftermarket ones put in under the bumper. I am now wary of any "Honda Factory" accessory.

Shame on Honda for this one.

·
Registered
185 Posts
An Afterthought?

Agree that many/most Honda fog lights seem almost an afterthought rather than an integrated design. Pilot ones are not nearly as bad, though, as those first offered for the CRV.

Then again, when I looked at Highlanders, even though the front bumper had integrated spaces for fog lights, I was informed by local Toyota dealer that neither they nor Toyota would install "factory" ones for me unless I ordered the Limited Package, which of course could only be ordered with the leather seat option [which I did not want].

·
Registered
161 Posts
Very improving and definitly need it

:rolleyes: You are absolutly need it, not just for looking good, but having more than two headlight are always a very improving part. You definitly need it. I had mine installed by the dealer for $516.00

SS-EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm finding that I'm using my foglights more and more. Even during the day, now that the tourist season has started.
I guess I feel, at night, that I have the extra lights for the on-coming traffic to 'notice' (for lack of a better word) and don't have to use the high beams as much. I like 'em :29:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Gaps

Exactly where were these gaps?
Are you sure it was not an inslallation issue.
I have one side not fit right till I found I did not have the cover on right.
Once I had everything rightt they were fine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts