Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Since the world is ending, it looks like it might be an opportunity to get a decent deal on a 2020 Pilot.
My wife currently has a 2016, which was of course purchased because of Honda's near legendary reliability.

I just spent nearly $1500 replacing the injectors. We don't have the 9 speed, so that hasn't been an issue.
Is there a consensus regarding the fuel injectors and 9 speed on the 2020 models?

I'd like to stick with Honda.

Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Why get rid of the 2016? Assuming it’s paid off or close to paid off why wouldn’t you just keep it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its been paid off for a long time. Whether or not I do it will depend on:
1-How good of deals can be had
2-If Honda has resolved all the '16 issues.

The goal was originally to drive this rig to 300K, but I just don't know that its reliable enough. I haven't even been able to figure out if the injector issue will be resolved after the repair, although I would assume the replacement parts are the same as 2020 spec parts (but maybe not?). 60K miles to failed injectors on a Honda was pretty shocking to me.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yeah its been paid off for a long time. Whether or not I do it will depend on:
1-How good of deals can be had
2-If Honda has resolved all the '16 issues.

The goal was originally to drive this rig to 300K, but I just don't know that its reliable enough. I haven't even been able to figure out if the injector issue will be resolved after the repair, although I would assume the replacement parts are the same as 2020 spec parts (but maybe not?). 60K miles to failed injectors on a Honda was pretty shocking to me.
Yea I wanna take my Pilot to 300k or at least 200k, but I don't know if the electronics or transmission will hold up until then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the Black Edition in 2019 - that had serious problems with the Radio console in the Canadian Winters. Even after 3 replacements of the center console, would jam until them temperature in the car warmed up. Traded it for the 2020 Black Edition. Overall excellent so far. However I do get a crackling sound when I turn the car off and listen to the radio. This is stopped by opening the door and closing it.
I had another problem, the right rear brake froze open for a week. Could notice it because the rotor was getting rusty and all the others were nice and shinky. Have to take it in after the virus shut down to have it service

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you have the money and can find a good deal I don't see why not. I would imagine dealers would be getting pretty frantic to sell cars right now. But, since you just replaced the fuel injectors I don't really know what else would fail. Just make sure you're keeping up with all the routine maintenance. Unless you just want a new car and the new tech, it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,

Since the world is ending, it looks like it might be an opportunity to get a decent deal on a 2020 Pilot.
My wife currently has a 2016, which was of course purchased because of Honda's near legendary reliability.

I just spent nearly $1500 replacing the injectors. We don't have the 9 speed, so that hasn't been an issue.
Is there a consensus regarding the fuel injectors and 9 speed on the 2020 models?

I'd like to stick with Honda.

Thanks!
There is a post somewhere on the forum that Honda had a TSB on the injectors and fuel rail, they may have extended the warranty out for this. You might be able to get your money back. I'd call Honda and press for it. It appeared that there was some success.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a post somewhere on the forum that Honda had a TSB on the injectors and fuel rail, they may have extended the warranty out for this. You might be able to get your money back. I'd call Honda and press for it. It appeared that there was some success.
I tried that.. talked to Honda a few times and they said mine wasn't in the VIN range. Seemed arbitrary as obviously I had the issue!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has there been any reports of failures with replaced/updated parts? If the new parts last like they should.. there is probably no need to upgrade.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I tried that.. talked to Honda a few times and they said mine wasn't in the VIN range. Seemed arbitrary as obviously I had the issue!
All 2016 Pilots are covered by the fuel injector TSB so VIN range comment should not apply. If your vehicle is registered in a state that follows California emission laws, then fuel injectors are covered for 7yrs/70K miles, else the standard 3yr/36K warranty applies. If your vehicle is outside of the warranty period, a few forum members have reported that Honda covers a significant portion of the repair under good will consideration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All 2016 Pilots are covered by the fuel injector TSB so VIN range comment should not apply. If your vehicle is registered in a state that follows California emission laws, then fuel injectors are covered for 7yrs/70K miles, else the standard 3yr/36K warranty applies. If your vehicle is outside of the warranty period, a few forum members have reported that Honda covers a significant portion of the repair under good will consideration.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Our touring awd had a sensor go bad. Otherwise only had to do oil, front brakes (pads and rotors) and tires. 50k miles. Very good car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts