Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks. It seems it may be time to get a new SUV with the capacity to sit at least 7 passengers. We currently have a 2010 Pilot EXL with 175,000 miles on it. The transmission has had issues, we had the TSB done for the head gaskets done. The vehicle has been pretty solid. My question is, are the 3rd gen's just as good? I read a lot about bad transmissions, etc. We were looking at the Subaru Ascent but I am not too keen on a 4cylinder turbo with CVT on a vehicle that size. Kia Telluride might be an option but also new like the Ascent. My wife likes her pilot but now I am not so sure. Thanks for any input.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a 2019 EX-L a week ago today. Love it so far...time will tell. Regarding the transmissions on the third gen, I think the bad reviews only pertain to the 9-speed on the Touring and Elite levels. The 6-speed on the EX-L (and lower) is just fine, with good reviews. Mine shifts very smoothly.

By the way, it's one of the smoothest and quietest driving SUVs I've ever been in. In my opinion, it competes with the smaller Lexus 350/450 in that area.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. We also have a 2005 EX with 250K on it, still running! We were dissapointed in the quality of the interior of the 2010, thin cheap "leather" center armrest and door arm-rests.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot EX. So far it has been a reliable vehicle. Tranny is fine and I tow a 1600lb trailer every weekend 70 miles round trip. However, it is noisy. Road noise is high and when going over small bumps it will go "clunk". Very annoying to me. Wish I had done a more complete test drive before purchase, I may have opted for the Highlander.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have an 18 EXL. I went with it over the Highlander because of a little more room inside and I could get a better price. Very noisy to me and rough ride but I’m planning on adding some sound dampening material as I’ve read it helps a lot. Soundskins is the one I will be going with. Ive have read about some fuel injector issues and transmission issues with the 6 spd. I myself am having some issues but I’m going to change the fluid and keep an eye on it. I will most likely add hondacare for as long as I can and change all the fluids every summer with is something I do anyway.

I will say if I was in the market now I would be looking at the Kia telluride and the Hyundai Palisade. Saw the Palisade when dropping my wifes tucson to get looked at it and it was nice.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was eyeballing the Telluride, not sure if I am keen on the looks or the giant TELLURIDE across the hood! Might test drive them anyway, we drove a KIA minivan in Australia for two weeks and were impressed with the power, ride and quietness.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got my 2019 exl pilot. All i can say that this is still a pretty solid vehicle. I just have various issues and maybe this is isolated. I do hear creacking sound underneath and dealership still figuring out where it is coming from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the touring model, have about 4500 miles on it. Bought it since March, I had one issue. When i first bought it my infotainment froze up, my speedo is fine. Had to drive home with no music, pulled the fuse for the infotainment resets the thing. Didn't have any issue after that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The only cars I've ever had to bring in for service having owned Acura, Volvo, Toyota, Lexus, Audi, Honda, and Subaru have been the Acura and my 2018 Pilot. Always due to failure of a part. My opinion is Acura/Honda earned their reputation for reliability 15+ years ago and since then they've been riding that wave of public opinion but have gone as cheap as possible on design and parts since then to maximize margins. I don't think Acura/Honda is below average - but I do not think they are above average in terms of reliability either. If you don't keep your car very long (past warranty) then I'd just drive the thing and let Honda worry about any problems. The Pilot is not going to be a longterm keeper for me.

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
172 Posts
We bought a left over 2018 EX AWD at the beginning of June and already have over 2,500 miles. We haven’t had one problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
The Pilot is still an excellent choice, but I don't think it is a slam dunk anymore, what with all the competition.

The Telluride (and Palisade) should offer equal or better reliability, have more features, and give you more SUV for the buck, especially in terms of interior volume and comfort. And I wouldn't shy away from the turbo 4-cyl models if you like the way they drive..... we're to the point that the mfgs have figured out how to reliably get 250-hp out of a 2.5L four-banger with excellent driveability and fuel mileage. The Ascent is a very nice SUV, but it's got a CVT which some folks hate. The CX-9 has the most upscale interior of the non-luxury SUVs and is the best driver but it is short on room and utility. The SantaFe is mediocre, but you can get one at a very deep discount and they offer a lot of features for the money.

I would be cautious about the Honda 9-speeds. Drive one and be comfortable that the shift quality and "busy-ness" is acceptable to you. I think they've got the bugs out, but the 6-speed still probably has the edge on robustness if you plan on keeping the car out of warranty.

If I were buying a mainstream 3-row right now, I'd probably go big and get the Telluride. Better yet, get it in six-months when the supply catches up to demand and there are better discounts. Further down the production line too so fewer first-year bugs.

- Mark

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 2018 Touring and it's fine. It's been to the dealership twice before 15K miles for failed components (AC blower and rear differential seal) and it already has a host of interior rattles and squeaks. The 9-speed is not the best or the worst I've driven. In the end it does what we need it to do with three kids but I wouldn't say there's anything exceptional about it's design/engineering/build-quality. If I were looking today for a similarly large mid-sized SUV I'd definitely check out Hyundai and Kia.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you for your responses. The Kia and Hyundai are so new nobody has them in stock, I am also leery of buying cars in their first model year (Ascent, Telluride, Pallisade). We ended up getting a good deal through Costco on a new 2019 Elite. I do not like buying new but the price difference between that and a used/certified one was not significant. The 2010 was a reliable vehicle but as I stated earlier was having transmission issues, check engine light on and off (Catalytic converters, O2 sensors) and other miscellaneous problems. As our primary kid/family hauler and having175K on the odometer we thought it best to get rid of it before we had to sink $$$ into repairs on a car that was worth probably 6K. Thanks again for all your comments.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thank you for your responses. The Kia and Hyundai are so new nobody has them in stock, I am also leery of buying cars in their first model year (Ascent, Telluride, Pallisade). We ended up getting a good deal through Costco on a new 2019 Elite. I do not like buying new but the price difference between that and a used/certified one was not significant. The 2010 was a reliable vehicle but as I stated earlier was having transmission issues, check engine light on and off (Catalytic converters, O2 sensors) and other miscellaneous problems. As our primary kid/family hauler and having175K on the odometer we thought it best to get rid of it before we had to sink $$$ into repairs on a car that was worth probably 6K. Thanks again for all your comments.

Semper Fi
Hope you enjoy your new Pilot. Enjoying mine and close to 10K miles. I am on a Kia Telluride forum - far more issues and doesn’t come as a surprise to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
2016 Touring AWD with 45k miles. Thankfully no big issues so far (knock on wood). I just replaced the tires. The only non-maintenance related service has been slightly warped front rotors, so the shop trued them up again. As others have noted, body panel alignment is not the best and my tailgate is noticeably misaligned. The 9 speed transmission is certainly not the most refined, but at 45K miles and having just performed the fluid service, it seems better. Some have said there was a software update.

This is my first Honda. My Pilot was a bit of a disappointment from what I was expecting from Honda based on what others have said about their experiences. That said, at the time I was shopping for a mid-sized 3 row SUV, the Pilot was what I wanted/needed. I suppose at $40K+, I expected somewhat better build quality. It has been reliable thus far and has performed well (transmission clunkiness aside).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got my 2019 exl pilot. All i can say that this is still a pretty solid vehicle. I just have various issues and maybe this is isolated. I do hear creacking sound underneath and dealership still figuring out where it is coming from.
I have the same creaking noise with my 2019 EXL. Overtime its worsen. Dealership says its normal at the first time i brought it in. But now i am taking it back to dealership to fix the creaking. I suspect its the suspension.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 2017 Pilot EX. So far it has been a reliable vehicle. Tranny is fine and I tow a 1600lb trailer every weekend 70 miles round trip. However, it is noisy. Road noise is high and when going over small bumps it will go "clunk". Very annoying to me. Wish I had done a more complete test drive before purchase, I may have opted for the Highlander.
I think Highlander is the best except for being smaller and dated infotainment. I'm thinking trading my EXL for a Highlander if the dealership fails to fix the clanking underneath.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts