Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting my Wifes snows on today and noticed the inner tie rod is loose.
Never done an inner tie rod. Looks like a pain in the ass to do.
Rock Auto has great prices on them, just need to buy the inner tool also.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Putting my Wifes snows on today and noticed the inner tie rod is loose.
Never done an inner tie rod. Looks like a pain in the ass to do.
Rock Auto has great prices on them, just need to buy the inner tool also.
Might watch a YouTube video or two. I did my Civic without a special tool.

Reactions: PHM

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I will give it a go next weekend. First time for everything.
Probably should change the outer tie rod, since I will have it apart.
I just realized I didn't use the special tool because I took the whole steering rack out. Then I broke it loose with a pipe wrench. maybe not the smartest approach. LOL 👨‍🔧

Reactions: PHM

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,198 Posts
Another option is to get your known good parts from Rockauto and pay a mechanic to install.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have changed them without the special inner tie rod tool but the next time a do one I will get a loan-a-tool from the auto parts store. I usually change any other inners or outers that I have a question about since I get an alignment after. The parts are relatively cheap.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have changed them without the special inner tie rod tool but the next time a do one I will get a loan-a-tool from the auto parts store. I usually change any other inners or outers that I have a question about since I get an alignment after. The parts are relatively cheap.
I think the only loan a tool place here is part source, I will phone on Monday to see if they rent tools.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another option is to get your known good parts from Rockauto and pay a mechanic to install.
I ordered parts from rock auto (5% discount too)
I will do it at the shop (bay 5 is pretty empty now)
If I have problems, I will let one of our mechanics do it.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Oh, you have a bay. Lucky pup. :)

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Thanks for the edit, lol 🤢

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh, you have a bay. Lucky pup. :)
Heated too. I usually do my repairs in my own garage.
Since I am not sure about this repair, I will do at work just in case I can not do it, then I will pass it on to one of our mechanics.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
If you would have bought that tire machine, I could have sucked you into doing the inner tie rod. lol
I'm going to get me a set. Gotta figure out how to get it where I want it. Really heavy equipment.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going to get me a set. Gotta figure out how to get it where I want it. Really heavy equipment.
To move them into my garage, I had a power liftgate. Two guys to muscle them after they were on the ground.
If you have them on a utility trailer, they actually are not that bad to move around.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Turns out I will not be doing the inner tie rods. I bartered with our mechanic. I am going to do his winter switch over, and he is going to do the tie rods. He said it should only take him about an hour to do. So he is dropping his van off in the morning and taking my van.
I must say changing and balancing tires has got pricey. 4 R&R and balance 17 inch $100.00 plus tax. $115.00 Crazy
When I left the shop we were charging $60.00 all in.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Seems like a fair barter.

I must say changing and balancing tires has got pricey. 4 R&R and balance 17 inch $100.00 plus tax. $115.00 Crazy
I know, right? I've noticed that unjustified trend, too. All the more reason to DIY.

DIY: it's not just for us cheap bastards anymore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts