Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying the parts to install the OEM hitch for my pilot. The main purpose for the hitch will be to haul my jetski around occassionally. Jetski and trailer I would estimate weigh no more than 1000 lbs.

Question is, "Do I need to install the coolers as well?". There has been some debate on whether they are needed or not, but most of the discussion has centered around hauling bicycles.

Any input and /or advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would say no you don't need them, unless your going up alot of steep hills with the jetski in tow. When your driving out just keep an eye on your temp gauge. Or if you are going a long ways 300+ miles you might want to stop occasionally but I really don't think you would need it.

If you decide to get the cooling I would only go with the transmission part.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
PaulV7 said:
I would say no you don't need them,
I would say the warrenty is backed by Honda not PaulV7, so you had better ask them. :D

p.s. Their answer is "Yes"

·
Registered
283 Posts
True N_Jay I do not warranty his vehicle. He asked for an opinion and I gave it. ;)

A jet ski is about the same as having 3-4 adults in a Pilot. You would put the same amount of strain on your transmission with 4 people or having the jet ski. Lets say with a full tank of gas in the ski it's weight is 700 lbs (1000 would be a big ski). Personally I would not run out and buy a cooling system for that. Again unless you are traveling a long way or your trip has lots of hills. I would test it out this trip and if you notice the temp gauge going up when you get home look into buying one.

I bought one because I have a 20ft. boat with an inboard/outboard (weee bit heavier) plus I might bring it home from Maine (866 miles).

I just don't think a jet ski will create enough resistance on the transmission that it will add the extra heat. Just my opinion take it as that.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
PaulV7 said:
True N_Jay I do not warranty his vehicle. He asked for an opinion and I gave it. ;)
. . . .
I would test it out this trip and if you notice the temp gauge going up when you get home look into buying one.
. . . AI just don't think a jet ski will create enough resistance on the transmission that it will add the extra heat. Just my opinion take it as that.
I know, just beinmg a wise a-ss today :2:

I would not go by the temp guage, as it is engine temp an dthe trans may get hot without shouing there.

The coolers are easy to do. I tow very infrequently but put them on as a precaution

·
Registered
486 Posts
Questionable

In general, I would also say no coolers, but something to consider is that you use a jetski when it's hot out and if I recall Orlando gets rather warm. Also, how many people in the vehicle while towing? Just the driver?
On the other hand, the Orlando terrain is flat, the jetski is aerodynamic creating reduced drag and you probably aren't going that far to the lake.

Sooooo, who knows?

If it were me, I'd skip the coolers for this application. I don't really think the coolers play a significant part unless you are approaching max tow load in hilly terrain which is what they Honda will design for. A guy towing a trailer through the Appalachin trail in August will create a much higher strain than the guy towing a jetski in Orlando. But since Honda has to make only one vehicle...

Well, you get the idea...

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Just like a-holes

Opinions, that is. Everyone has one.......

Here's mine and it's worth what you paid for it: :D

I tow a small single axle utility trailer. Probably max loaded GVW is about 1500#. Since I live in Colorado, I pull my trailer up (and down) hills. We have temps in the low triple-digits every now and then. I do not have the coolers, nor do I plan to add them - based on my current towing requirements.

YMMV

Good luck!!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
N_Jay said:

I would say the warrenty is backed by Honda not PaulV7, so you had better ask them. :D

p.s. Their answer is "Yes"
This question came up one day while I was at the Honda dealer buying accessories. The dealer's position was that you needed to install the coolers with the hitch to prevent voiding the warranty. Otherwise, how would they know you didn't tow something that required the entire tow package.

I guess I can understand the logic, but someone could have all the stuff installed, try to tow too heavy a load, and end up with a problem, couldn't they.

The "opinion side of me" thinks it's probably not a problem towing 1000 pounds without the coolers.

·
Registered
486 Posts
jay said:

This question came up one day while I was at the Honda dealer buying accessories. The dealer's position was that you needed to install the coolers with the hitch to prevent voiding the warranty. Otherwise, how would they know you didn't tow something that required the entire tow package.

I've heard this a number of times before. I've called HOA direct and can confirm that this statement dealers are giving is BS. The hitch does NOT require the coolers per Honda UNLESS you are towing.
Hitch mounted accessories like back racks and cargo holders is the reason. Don't believe me? call Honda yourself.
If there is a transmission problem or any other problem for that matter, it is Honda's burden to prove that you towed something heavy enough to create the problem. Not sure how they would do that but....

I have a belly button , too...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Another opinion: Do you need the coolers? Probably not, you're not pulling a heavy load and I recall being told on a tee box at a golf course in W Palm that I was standing on the highest (man-made) elevation point in the state at something like 13 feet above sea level. Thus hills aren't a factor & 1000lbs isn't a big deal.

Should a transmission issue occur, the burden is on Honda to prove that trailering (without coolers) caused the damage. I suppose you could conveniently remove the hitch with relative ease if this you begin to sense premature failure?

Its a tough decision, one that I thought long and hard about. No definitive answer. Installation of the coolers does provide a certain piece of mind... but at a ridiculous price (for just a couple yards of copper tubing).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I towed my 17' boat for the first time this past weekend. As soon as I finished backing the boat into its storage shed, I felt the Honda coolers that I installed. I was surprised how hot they both were. I was especially surprised by the power steering cooler. It probably took no more than three minutes to back the boat into the shed, and I probably turned the steering wheel side-to-side no more than a ten times. The PS pump is probably not as load-dependent as the transmission; it's the work of turning the wheels from side-to-side that causes the heat build-up. My point is this: I suspect backing a jetski trailer or utility trailer generates as much heat in the PS pump as it does backing a 2700 lbs boat.

Dan

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
DogIsMyCo-Pilot said:

[snip]
My point is this: I suspect backing a jetski trailer or utility trailer generates as much heat in the PS pump as it does backing a 2700 lbs boat.

Dan
I suspect the heat buildup (or lack of heat) is is more dependent on the skill of the person doing the backing - regardless of what kind of a trailer it is. Sometimes I get lucky - sometimes I don't!! :2:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Part of the reason they get hot backing up and or sitting still is because they are air cooled. No air gets to the front of your radiator when you backup. Therefore your coolant tubes will be hotter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
PaulV7 said:
Part of the reason they get hot backing up and or sitting still is because they are air cooled. No air gets to the front of your radiator when you backup. Therefore your coolant tubes will be hotter.
IMO, the only time the PS pump is going to be working hard is while maneuvering at low speeds -- like 0 to 2 MPH. No one cranks the steering wheel from lock to lock at speeds which generate a meaningful relative wind flow over the cooler. That's why I think a cooler is important.

And because there's no air flowing through the radiator, the fans kick in providing some airflow over the coolers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a fellow Floridian I would reccommend you install both. We are looking at buying a pilot for the wife. I'm planning on adding the coolers even though we won't be towing anything.
Why? Because we live in Florida (I'm over in Merritt Island). It gets darn hot down here in the summer! A little extra cooling is NEVER a bad thing.

Think of it as cheap insurance. You can get the kits to install them both for about $350.

DH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts