Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just bought a used 2010 Pilot EX-L and would like to upgrade the stereo to an apple car play version. I was told by a stereo installer that a double din radio will not fit in the 2009 - 2011 Pilots but I can't believe there is not some after market radio available for us. Has anyone upgraded and if so what model did you install? Any pictures you have would be most appreciated so I can show him what I am looking at having done. Thanks for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Does it have OEM navigation? If no, you should be able to use (with some modification) this trim kit:

You will need to slightly alter the side trim pieces, like here:
or

If the head you install has USB and AUX in the back, consider getting something like this:

If your EX-L has factory navigation, this significantly complicates matters since climate controls sub-display is essentially integrated into the audio unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it have OEM navigation? If no, you should be able to use (with some modification) this trim kit:

or

If the head you install has USB and AUX in the back, consider getting something like this:

or

If your EX-L has factory navigation, this significantly complicates matters since climate controls sub-display is essentially integrated into the audio unit.
Thanks for the info. There is no factory nav and the only display on top shows the climate settings, direction of travel and the radio info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. There is no factory nav and the only display on top shows the climate settings, direction of travel and the radio info. This is what the existing unit looks like.

·
Registered
744 Posts
In that case you really should be able to do it the same way as in those threads I linked. Any double-DIN will fit.

Alternative, you could go with a floating screen option like this one:

It has a single-DIN body so you can just use the trim kit I linked above without cutting either the kit or your side-trims. Monitor portion is about 1.25" thick and sits "on top" of your dash.
Here is a super-quick mockup of what it would look like:
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Radio Vehicle

You would also want to get a steering wheel adapter module. My recommendation is an iDataLink Maestro SW.

Another consideration is that OEM head unit has built-in amp for the subwoofer in the rear. It is not much of a sub, but it does improve the lows. An aftermarket head will likely have a pre-amp output for the sub, no amplification.
Your options are:
A. If your wife is not much concerned about sound quality, just use it as-is.

B. Replace in-door factory speakers with quality 2-way 6.5" speakers with a good frequency response range.
Something like those Kickers Kicker 43DSC6504 DS Series 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers at Crutchfield
They got a 40Hz-20kHz response range. You would just need to be sure to configure the head sound to use no sub and deliver full range to front/rear channels. A Word of warning: most aftermarket head built-in amps don't pack a lot of power. I.e. the Pioneer above is only 14W/channel x 4.

C. Install an aftermarket amplifier.
Either a small compact mono to power just the OEM sub or
Replace OEM sub with a powered sub like Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield
Replace OEM sub with an 8" shallow mount aftermarket and install a separate mono amp for it.

You could also go the full bang, replace all door speakers, the sub, and put in a quality 5-channel amp to power them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts