Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was aware when buying my 2019 elite they didn’t have the ability to remote start via the app. I’ve been hoping they may add the feature but i haven’t heard anything yet and my hopes are getting pretty low.

Anyone have a recent updates or insight on if Honda has any plans to roll the feature at some point to pilots or should I just start looking at aftermarket options that support better range then the factory key fob?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Last time I spoke to Hondalink support, I asked about the remote start feature being added to the app. I was told that the Pilot did not have the hardware to allow remote start via the app and therefore wasn’t forthcoming.

It’s kind of irrelevant anyway, at least for me, since the Hondalink app doesn’t work. If you look at the Play Store reviews for the app, it’s full of one star reviews complaining about the non-functional Hondalink app. Interesting, the original Hondalink app worked flawlessly for me. It wasn’t until they released the “improved” app when the wheels fell off.

Just curious, does the Hondalink app work for anyone?

·
Banned
379 Posts
I find the app useless. Some people just like the idea of it, but it's useless to me. As for the fob, how far away are you? I get pretty good distance with mine for remote start.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No complaints here, Android version Galaxy S10+.
Interesting, I have a Galaxy S10 as well.

I find the app useless. Some people just like the idea of it, but it's useless to me. As for the fob, how far away are you? I get pretty good distance with mine for remote start.
The problem I have with the FOB remote start is the lack of feedback. If you can’t see the lights flash, you don’t know if the car has received the signal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem I have with the FOB remote start is the lack of feedback. If you can’t see the lights flash, you don’t know if the car has received the signal.
This is exactly my issue with the factory installed remote start. I know not many factory units have two way remotes where you can get feedback at the fob but why Honda doesn’t have the parking lights turn on when running is baffling. That is so common for every remote start implementation out there.

I haven’t had a chance to use mine a ton as we are just now getting into winter temperatures but the range does seem okay. The other night I had it work at probably 300’ but since I didn’t get any feedback or could see the lights flash at startup or when I approached I basically could only hope it was actually warm inside until I got within like 10’ where I could hear it running.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just curious, does the Hondalink app work for anyone?
it rarely works for me. It always shows connecting then never seems to.
Also the information it provides is worthless. Mileage and oil life are things I just see in the car I’m not sure exactly what it does that I need an app for it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would agree, aside from being able to remotely start the car which Honda decided to hoble this function unless you bought an accord or odyssey, the features are pretty worthless.

I would really like to know what parts the pilot is missing and the accord and odyssey have where Honda can’t enable the remote start feature. Did they not include a $10 sensor on a vehicle that retails for nearly $50k?
It’s such a big F up on their part not including it. It’s an AWD vehicle which sells like crazy in cold weather climates, give an option for the remote start app or at least get the remote start experience right with proper feedback.

·
Registered
300 Posts
i Agree the honda App is completely useless since day one, it connects/updates when it wants since 2016,

·
Registered
138 Posts
But they DID include this highly requested feature:

Key by Amazon In-Car Delivery
Get Amazon packages delivered directly inside your car.* Visit amazon.com/keyforcar for more details.

<facepalm>
WTF!

·
Registered
415 Posts
be glad that we can remote start direct from the keyfob. a lot of car brands are only doing remote start via app which requires monthly/annual fees.

what they use is a separate cellular data that communicates with the car. that is why you can do all this stuff with the vehicle via the app on some brands. but i dont know which if any offeres that as a lifetime offer. its just something else to pay monthly which i could care less for after the free year is up.

take a look at mazda, they have no remote start at all even the highest cx9 that cost 50K+. only way to get it is if you buy their app remote start. its crap and youll have to pay monthly.

i believe the hondas that have the built in hotspot has the enabled remote start function through app.

if you think about it, how else can one remote start from an app without the vehicle itself being connected to the internet. bluetooth signal isnt that for a reach so that isnt realistic. only way is to add built in cell signal in the car which many manufacturers are doing now forcing--tricking consumers to get nickel and dimed on a feature like remote start that has been standard forever on recent hondas. so im glad honda hasnt addopted that business model but i could see that changing.

The keyfob reaches pretty far so i have no issues with the remote start--the only negative is you dont know if it actually started (although there may be visual indication on the keyfob light but i didnt read up on it)

other than that, the hondalink app is useless. dont even install it as its a waste of space on your phone.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I actually have no complaints, like @redturbo I'm quite happy that Honda included the remote start on the key fob. My last vehicle I had to have an aftermarket unit installed for about $500, so to get it included is great. I'd way rather have a simple keyfob than a smartphone app anyway, I have zero interest in the app, even if all the features were free.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually have no complaints, like @redturbo I'm quite happy that Honda included the remote start on the key fob. My last vehicle I had to have an aftermarket unit installed for about $500, so to get it included is great. I'd way rather have a simple keyfob than a smartphone app anyway, I have zero interest in the app, even if all the features were free.
I can understand that as it is better than nothing. What my and I think others here have gripes with are:
1) the feedback of what it is running is severely lacking (have the care running lights turn on).
2) having the app control would be a means to get that needed feedback (ensure it did actually start) plus the added benefit of unlimited range to start it up
3) Honda excluding this feature when it is available on multiple other lines that all appear to have the same capabilities to support it (cellular service, the app, etc) is ridiculous.
it’s probably a bit of a lost cause to keep harping on this on this forum but maybe someone somewhere will see it and something will change (issue a app/software update). If not, it at least feels good to vent about it. ?

·
Registered
415 Posts
i think only recently have non luxury brands are doing the whole app thing. Mazdas was the only option to get remote start unless you installed aftermarket, but didnt have any advanced features light lights and all that.

Subaru with their new ascent i believe has standard remote start on the keyfob but also the option of having an app based/cell based/monthly fee advanced version. But keep in mind the Ascent JUST came out so its no surprise they have more updated stuff compared to the 3rd gen Pilot which is "old" by comparison from 2016

I see it regularly on luxury brands, like bmw, benz. Im not sure if acura (honda) has it. I know on the benz its really nice, you can control the windows, remote start, etc etc, but again this stuff isnt free

the only real thing with the "dumb" version is you dont know if it actually started or how long and if it turned off. We can roll down the windows with the keyfob (but ironically not back up) and same thing if you accidentally enable the roll down you wont know if you are far away to really see or behind a wall. While on the benz and other app based you get a warning windows are open etc etc.

Eventually I see Honda having this across the board because seems like its happening with other brands. The 3rd gen pilot was introduced in 2016 and obviously developed at least a year before that and during that year the app based stuff wasnt really a thing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not sure if they added the feature, or if Honda's marketing people have no idea what they are doing (likely the latter??) as I have zero interest in downloading and linking up the phone app, but I got this email from Honda today.

They clearly (should) know that I bought a '19 Pilot Touring, and even the graphics in the email marketing brochure show a '19 Pilot Touring, so if anyone wants to try updating the app and see if it works, have at 'er...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so if anyone wants to try updating the app and see if it works, have at 'er...
They have always had the app. It’s just limited to locking/unlocking doors and some other unimpressive feature (IMO).
For our Pilots there is No Remote start although it is the same app that is used for remote start if the vehicle supports it.
I’m guessing they are just directly marketing to you to try using the app now in the hopes you feel like some added feature to you is worth a the additional annual service fee when your free trail is up.

·
Registered
138 Posts
They have always had the app. It’s just limited to locking/unlocking doors and some other unimpressive feature (IMO).
For our Pilots there is No Remote start although it is the same app that is used for remote start if the vehicle supports it.
I’m guessing they are just directly marketing to you to try using the app now in the hopes you feel like some added feature to you is worth a the additional annual service fee when your free trail is up.
I don't think you get what I was saying... I guess you didn't actually read what I posted.

The marketing ad I got today specifically shows a pilot and says "Now you can... start your engine... right from your phone."

Not sure if that is a generic goof, or if it's a new feature.

Like I said, I could care less and do not intend to test it myself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think you get what I was saying... I guess you didn't actually read what I posted.
I did read and understand and think it was a marketing goof as the features page on Honda’s website still doesn’t show remote start as a feature and with the newest app there is no option is apparent.

I do agree with what you are saying and to my point, it’s so ridiculous that remote start in the app isn’t supported the their marketing team can’t even properly market around it due to lack of continuity in their features.

I was just a bit more focused on why I think you got the email yourself which sounds like you have never signed up for the app or the free service so they were targeting you versus sending it because remote start was added as a new feature.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
They didn't add anything. Still only does lock/unlock, sound the horn, locate the vehicle, and display tire pressure, odometer, and fuel in the tank (range). I personally like the app. My wife drives 40+ miles to work, and when weather is bad I like to check and make sure she made it ok. If I see the Pilot is at her hospital, everything is good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts