Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Wow

Looks like the dreaded silver Pilot plague is hitting hard yet again!!

:13:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is what the other guy looked like

This is what happens when two objects try to occupy the same space. Not pretty!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
sh**......that terrible...hopefully the passengers are all fine....

what does insurance say??:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rest of the story!

So this is how it happened.

We were on day 3 of our two week holiday up in the cottage country of Ontario (near Huntsville for those who know these parts). We were headed for a day of exploring in Algonquin Park and were traveling North on Hwy 11. I was in a van ahead with my friend and three of the kids. My wife was driving the Pilot with her best friend and two of the kids. Slow moving traffic was merging on to the highway and my wife had to take "evasive action" to avoid the cars that were slowing down to let the merging vehicle on the highway. During the evasive action she lost control and slamed into the guardrail. The good news is that no one was hurt (a few sore muscles and a bump on the head but that was it). Everyone walked away! For that I thank the Lord!

The damage will cost my insurance company $22k (Canadian - about $16k US) and it will take about 4 weeks to fix. I was very impressed with the way that the Pilot took the hit and protected everyone. There was no broken glass and the side airbag did not go off. I was actually able to drive it about 5km (3 miles) to the Honda dealership in Huntsville and they were quite helpful in letting me use their place as a home base while I tried to figure out what to do next. They also recommended a body shop that could do the repair work so I felt comfortable leaving it more than 200 miles from home for a few weeks. I will have to go back up and retrieve it some time during the middle of the month.

Dan

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: Holy Moses, Dan! So glad nobody was hurt in the accident! Looks as though it could've been alot worse. Let's hope you get your Pilot back as soon as possible and be back on the road with it :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: The rest of the story!

dreese said:
So this is how it happened.

My wife was driving the Pilot with her best friend and two of the kids. Slow moving traffic was merging on to the highway and my wife had to take "evasive action" to avoid the cars that were slowing down to let the merging vehicle on the highway. During the evasive action she lost control and slamed into the guardrail. The good news is that no one was hurt (a few sore muscles and a bump on the head but that was it). Everyone walked away! For that I thank the Lord!

Dan,

Good to know every one are unhurt.
Just wonder if you can avoid the accident if this is a MDX with stability control :confused:

BTW, Honda don't sell touch up paint in buckets!

-Tat
:)

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: The rest of the story!

tatng said:

Dan,

Good to know every one are unhurt.
Just wonder if you can avoid the accident if this is a MDX with stability control :confused:

BTW, Honda don't sell touch up paint in buckets!

-Tat
:)
From the skid marks, it looks like it occurred on dry pavement. I don't think stability control would have helped much in that situation.:confused:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm confused. The car is damaged on the right. But the guardrail is on the left:eek:
Did the Pilot spin all the way around?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Re: Re: Re: The rest of the story!

jay said:

From the skid marks, it looks like it occurred on dry pavement. I don't think stability control would have helped much in that situation.:confused:
Traction control works in all condition... it apply brake to whe wheels which will
bring the vehicle back to a safe path.
ESP should work better when wheels has good traction... remember it apply brake force
to the selected wheels BEFORE it loss control.

My wife never think our Pilot is safe because it doesn't had ESP as in the ML320 it replaced.
Don't understand why Honda won't put the stability control as a option as in the MDX.
Honda marketing probably doesn't think Honda customer will want to
pay for their safty than their Acura brand....which they have higher profit margin.

-Tat

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: The rest of the story!

tatng said:

Traction control works in all condition... it apply brake to whe wheels which will
bring the vehicle back to a safe path.
ESP should work better when wheels has good traction... remember it apply brake force
to the selected wheels BEFORE it loss control.

My wife never think our Pilot is safe because it doesn't had ESP as in the ML320 it replaced.
Don't understand why Honda won't put the stability control as a option as in the MDX.
Honda marketing probably doesn't think Honda customer will want to
pay for their safty than their Acura brand....which they have higher profit margin.

-Tat
I understand the concept, and actually had traction and skid control in my Highlander, and became very familiar with their use. Maybe I should have emphasized the word MUCH in my previous post.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Re: Wow

Dan, Glad to hear that everyone is safe and sound.

Art said:
Looks like the dreaded silver Pilot plague is hitting hard yet again!!
:13:
Gosh, given all these 'statistically significant proof' there must be some engineering design defect with the Silver Paint. Is there a TSB out ?? JK :bsflag:

But seriously does anyone know what percentage of Pilots sold are Silvers ? Does Honda publish any official data ? I thought I saw some informal chart on hp.org a while ago, but can't seem to find it ...

Edit: Found it here. Another of Kemo's great work ! Looks like Silver's make up 35% of the Pilots owned here. But is there an official Honda figure ?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Wow

yolk said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

Edit: Found it here. Another of Kemo's great work ! Looks like Silver's make up 35% of the Pilots owned here. But is there an official Honda figure ?
yolk: Unfortunately, I haven't had time to keep those charts up to date -- the last update was April 28th, and then a few days later on May 1st, we (my wife) had a bouncing baby boy and from that point on, I just "temporarily" put the Pilot Data charts on hold...

dreese: Sorry to see your Pilot in such a predicament... :( But I'm glad everyone is okay!!!!!!!! :4:

·
Registered
407 Posts
dreese said:
Does anyone think they can fix this scratch for me?
dreese ,

Glad to hear that everyone's fine. If any good can come out of an accident like that, it's that it forces us to realize what's really important to us. It is for that reason alone that I try to cheer you up by recommending this quick fix:

It's the DING KING! If it's on TV, then it obviously must work! I'd get the Extra Large version, though.:D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Re: The rest of the story!

jay said:

Thanks to everyone for their concern. As for the Stability Control, that was my first thought that it could have helped. I am sure it would have done something but I guess we will never know.

To answer some of the other questions, Yes, the truck did hit on the passenger side which means that it had come around 180 degrees. When it got into the guard rail where the posts went from wood to steel, it kicked the truck around forward again so it did a total of 360 degrees during the incident.

I was impressed that the Pilot was stable enough to do 360 on dry pavment and not roll over. I am sure if it was an Explorer it would have been 360 in a different plane and there would have been more damage and injuries. Also, if it had happened 50' earlier they would have been into the ditch before getting to the guard rail and the outcome could have been different then too. All in all I am grateful and thank God that I still have my family. My wife is just sick about it but I keep reasuring her that I am not upset about the truck (I will let her drive it again). Don't get me wrong, I love my Pilot but it does put things into perspective quickly and I am just happy with their safety.

I will be looking for the 2007 model to have stability control since that will be when the lease is done!

Safe Driving Everyone

Dan Reese

1 - 15 of 15 Posts