Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and I posted a problem (maybe in the wrong section of this site). If you have installed child car seats in your Pilot can you please comment?

It is problem #29 in the 'knowledge base'.

I hope that this link works:

http://honda-pilot.org/kb_item.php?id=29

Thank you, it will help us decide if to purchase or not.

Two Honda Pilot wannabee owners

·
Registered
307 Posts
the only car seat I have had in the back was a booster seat, And I THink i actually had it in the center position, so I unfortunatly am unable to be of much help. But I can fit 3 seats accross the middle row, so I rarely have need for a carseat in the third.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have 3 children, 2 need car seats. We have the 2 car seats in the second row. Makes it difficult for our oldest to get back into the third row because the car seats prohibit entry to the 3rd row from the doors. It's rare that all 5 of us are in the Pilot at the same time. What we do is split down the third row, and allow our oldest son to enter from the back. Kinda inconvenient, but it's our soultion right now. The car is new and it's still fun for him.

Can't comment on the car seats in the third row. We do have a Fisher Price car seat like the one you mentioned though, so I guess it would work back there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
addendum

90% of the time, my children will be seated in the middle row. But I would need to use the rear seat for their car seats when we had the grandparents with us or other friends /cousins who are still in car seats. My child seats are the carseat/boosters with the 5pt harness. At the rate that my children gain weight (long and lean) they will take their seats to college.

My dh is frustrated enough that he is ready to buy a used Subaru Legacy Wagon. I'm trying to find a solution.

BCgal

·
Registered
33 Posts
My son is still in a Century Vante infant carrier, but will soon be moving to a forward facing car seat.

I bought the NextStep® MX from Century. This car seat has the LATCH system and fits with no problems in the end seats of the pilot.

You can find details about this product at Century Products

JPickering

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Century MX

This is one of the seats that we have. Have you tried yours in the outboard position in the rear seat?

BCgal

·
Registered
191 Posts
Graco Snugride

We just had our first child on 10/22 and have a Graco Snugride installed in the middle of the 2nd row. Have had it installed in all three positions of the 2nd row, but never in the 3rd. I don't think that we would ever have the need to put it back there, but understand that with 3 of them, you have few options. Sorry I couldn't help you more than that!!

Scott

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have tried all different combinations with the full-sized car seats (one's a Century, the other's an Eddie Bauer) used by our 2 and 4 year old boys.
Usually keep them in the 2nd row, with just a folded towel to protect the seats. I position them and tighten the seat belts with the seats in their upright position. Then, for that extra measure of snugness, I recline them to really tighten them down.
Took a long trip with them in the 3rd row and the only downsize was in hooking-up the extra strap (made for creative use of the space behind the 3rd row.
Have also placed them behind one another (usually whenever carrying long cargo).

The only thing I've noticed, is that the different car seats require different procedures to fully secure them - has to do with how the seat belts pass through them. My oldest is getting to the point where he can use his seat as a booster with the regular seat belt used to hold him in. That will certainly make moving the seats easier!

Good Luck,
Ed F
H-Blue

·
Registered
991 Posts
So most people can use carseats in the third row? or do they not get the support they need?

This is a big concern for me?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have never put mine in the third row seat. I make one of my 13 year old twin sit back there.

JPickering

·
Registered
56 Posts
bcgal said:
I am new to this site and I posted a problem (maybe in the wrong section of this site). If you have installed child car seats in your Pilot can you please comment?

It is problem #29 in the 'knowledge base'.

I hope that this link works:

http://honda-pilot.org/kb_item.php?id=29

Thank you, it will help us decide if to purchase or not.

Two Honda Pilot wannabee owners
I use the Britax Roundabout system EXCLUSIVELY. In my experience, there is no other seat that is as easy to use, as quick to install and as secure as these seats. (Shaking the car seat makes the whole car shake- and it literally takes seconds to install properly).

Since we only have one child, I've flipped the 3rd row down and we'll only use it when we really need it. The Britax secures beautifully in the 2nd row. I'll try it in the 3rd row and post findings here.

·
Registered
991 Posts
It seems most of us do not use the third row for car seats? I guess we better start trying the third row out to see if car seats are secured to be safe back there..

still waiting for my pilot so I can not try it yet, but I will do this before signing the deal..

rob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gopilot

I think that we are neighbours! I am east of Vernon, B.C. We tried out the car seats when we were doing a test drive (one of many). We actually drove to the firehall for them to try to get a secure fit in the rear seat, too. (They do the car seat checks in Vernon).

I look forward to hearing how your seats install.
BCgal

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi there neighbor! great to see another BC person online..

First thing I will do when my Pilot comes in is this car seat issue!

rob

·
Registered
162 Posts
I use a Century booster seat for my 3 year old and the seat is latched using the anchors in one of the outer seats in the 2nd row.
The latch system works unbelievably--the seat literally does not move. I, also have not tried the third row. Before I got the Pilot, I always had the car seat in the middle of the back seat, so it took a little getting used to having him in the outer position--I had to make sure the childproof door lock was in place and I have to use the lock for opening up the windows, because he would just sit there and roll the windows up and down, up and down.

I hope that you get the Pilot--I have two other older kids and I am always driving a few other kids besides my own. It is the best car for a family. I think you would be very happy with it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've had two in the 3rd row and one in the center of the 2nd row. Getting all the seats in was easy as long as you put the 3rd row occupants in first. Access was the only minor problem. Once there I could see no issues with how the seats connected. All were forward facing BTW.

·
Registered
71 Posts
No problems

I have a Graco Snug Ride and have secured it in all three positions in the second row. Rock solid. Are you sure you pulled the belt all the way out before tensioning it?:confused:

In the middle position, using the base, I cheat a little by attaching the "middle" buckle through the drivers' side hole of the base (so one layer of belt runs across the base), but that's just for comfort in the drivers' side seat.

My son's no-back booster works fine in all the rear positions, but it isn't secured on its own.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NHPilot

What type of seats did you install in the rear row?

Thx,
BCgal

·
Registered
95 Posts
One is a Fisher-Price and the other Alpine Amega. Too bad the FP is nolonger produced. It goes between vehicles much easier than the other one. It has a built in clip for the seatbelt. I looked at a retro-fit 'Latch' accessory at Toys-R-Us. Looks like it would be much easier, at least for the Amega. Price was something like $24.

·
Registered
991 Posts
How about rear facing in third row?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts