Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pirelli Scorpion

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our first winter with our 2018 Touring AWD and after doing some research here I've decided to downsize to to 18" to get some choice and save $200 (thanks folks) if I go with these tires. This helps pay for installs, rims and sensors (wife's car, I just can't hear "the light is on" once, I'll hear it all winter).

I did it on my Volvo S60 T6 AWD a few years ago and that little car is like a tank in the snow and handles well on ice. The Pilot gives me a sense of size and safety for my wife and grandkids and she'd be scared poop-less without snow tires. For her sense of relief alone hey are worth it but we get into situations up north etc where we really need them anyway. I have them on my car because of constant work-related travel. I use the SUV once in awhile for work too.

On to my question, the most reasonable value seems to be the Blizzak DM/V2. I can get them for $960 at Costco (includes a $100 off coupon). Can anyone chime in on this?

I don't mind paying more for Michelin or Pirelli but I've had Blizzak on my Volvo's and they've performed perfectly but they weren't this model.

Thanks folks.
Budz66

·
Registered
126 Posts
These are excellent snow tires that still allow for a little performance. There are some better choices however if you want dedicated heavy snow and ice performance. Unless that is a requirement, these are probably one of the most popular for SUVs and for good reason. Dedicated rims are a good choice as removal/installation is hard on the tires and sensors.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lived in Quebec and northeast Ontario where we get the worst that winter can throw at us. From personal experience. Blizzaks are my go to.

Blizzak - snow traction is very good, ice traction is very good, treadwear is very good
Michelin X-Ice - snow traction is poor, ice traction is very good, treadwear is excellent
Toyo - snow traction is excellent, ice traction is excellent, treadwear is poor

·
Registered
449 Posts
I run the DM-V2 here in Alaska and it is excellent. But honestly, any snow/ice tire is going to be a million times better than an all-season. I've had "performance winter" types before and they are just as awesome as the Blizzaks. Hard to go wrong here.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'd get winter tires from Continental, Michelin, Nokian or Toyo.
Do you actually get snow deep enough over there where you are ?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Not just for snow .. on the back trails the Blizzak tires work very well handling just about anything out there .. of course it's not a rock climber but I'm glad i had something on a little more rugged than a street tire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’ve used blizzak on my RWD Lexus for 10 plus years. They’re great for deep traction snow. Never got stuck and always passing other’s vehicles with non snow and awd. Give you a bit more confidence in controlling and stopping snow tires.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Blizzaks are quite good for only the first half or so of their tread wear, then they revert to lackluster performance, so be prepared to buy them twice as often as, say, Nokians.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Blizzaks are quite good for only the first half or so of their tread wear, then they revert to lackluster performance, so be prepared to buy them twice as often as, say, Nokians.

This is why most people only use them during the winter months and use a summer set during the summer .

·
Registered
128 Posts

This is why most people only use them during the winter months and use a summer set during the summer .
They will be effective for at least 5 years if you only use them during the winter months. I put them on day before first major snowfall and switch them out mid to late March.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts

On earlier versions of the Blizzak tires, the outer half of the tread was comprised of the special winter compound while the inner half was a more conventional all-season compound.
The intention was that you would use them as winter tires while at least half of the tread depth remained, at which point - presumably at end of a winter season - you could continue to leave them on and use them through spring and summer until late in the following fall when you would buy a new set.
Current Blizzaks, supposedly, have the all-season part of the tread replaced with a more conventional winter compound (which isn't nearly as effective as the multi-cell compound), so they shouldn't be used other than in winter.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
On earlier versions of the Blizzak tires, the outer half of the tread was comprised of the special winter compound while the inner half was a more conventional all-season compound.
The intention was that you would use them as winter tires while at least half of the tread depth remained, at which point - presumably at end of a winter season - you could continue to leave them on and use them through spring and summer until late in the following fall when you would buy a new set.
Current Blizzaks, supposedly, have the all-season part of the tread replaced with a more conventional winter compound (which isn't nearly as effective as the multi-cell compound), so they shouldn't be used other than in winter.
I leave mine on during the summer months since i 'm on the back trails with the Pilot so they are much better than a street tire when it comes to ruggedness. I do agree though they should only be for winter as you stated but at 800 bucks when i purchased them. For some people right now thats a lot of money to put down for tires every year .

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
I leave mine on during the summer months since i 'm on the back trails with the Pilot so they are much better than a street tire when it comes to ruggedness. I do agree though they should only be for winter as you stated but at 800 bucks when i purchased them. For some people right now thats a lot of money to put down for tires every year .
IIRC, Bridgestone's expectation was that you should typically get three seasons of winter-only driving on a set of Blizzaks before the tread had worn down to the halfway mark, and then you would use them as all-season tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts