Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 EX-L with 54k miles now and have the same rough, loud suspension some of the folks on this forum have raised. I have come to the conclusion that the factory shocks and struts are bottom of the line and having the dealer replace them will just result in the same quality put back in. I was wondering if anyone has done an upgrade or gone air ride or bags to soften the overll ride.
I looked at KYB, Bilstein, Monroe, Strutmasters and none of them have any solutions for the 3rd generation Pilot. Has anyone found a suitable option that softens the ride? Hoping someone can offer any suggestions. The current rough ride quality is just not going to work long term.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Looks like for now we are screwed. This SUV would be really good if it were not for the annoying suspension components. Road noise and clunking sound over bumps sucks. I hope someone comes up with a solution soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know what to suggest other than buying another type of vehicle if you want to soften the ride. If anything it needs to be a little more sporty on the suspension side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am looking to get adjustable shocks so I can soften the ride when desired. My wife is the primary driver and she has a bad back with a couple of degenerated discs as well as a bad hip. If I can get a kit with a "comfort mode" setting that would be ideal.
With regards to Tires, I have Michelin Pilots on it. I'd have to check the size but I know its not 20". If we can't find anything then the next option is to replace the car with adjustable suspension. We really like the 3rd row seating and leg room in the Pilot which can't be matched by too many other cars. I drive occasionally and I am 6'5. Thanks for the feedback (y)

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want softer suspension, get 17 inch wheels and put less air in your tires ( regular all season tires). This will give you more cushion but might add a little more wobble when taking corners at high speed. 18 inch wheels should be better too, so if that's what you have, try various air pressure settings.

The downside of running lower pressure is worse fuel economy and premature tire wear.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Replacing the suspension on lower models with Touring / Elite suspension is one option. Due to the 20” wheels and lower profile tires, the Touring / Elite models have a softer suspension to compensate for the less compliant tires.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Replacing the suspension on lower models with Touring / Elite suspension is one option. Due to the 20” wheels and lower profile tires, the Touring / Elite models have a softer suspension to compensate for the less compliant tires.
I checked the parts catalog quickly, and your statement doesn't appear to be true. The shocks, springs, and other suspension parts are the same identical Honda part numbers when comparing a 2018 Pilot Touring AWD with a 2018 Pilot EX AWD. Even though these two models have different size tires, different transmissions, and different equipment contents, there IS NO difference in suspension parts that I have found. I would venture to say that is true with other years and model trims in the 3rd generation Pilots.

There is a difference between AWD and FWD on some parts that I checked quickly (springs) but they are the same within the AWD or FWD models. You really don't want to put FWD springs on an AWD vehicle, and vice versa.

Could you expound on your statement and provide proof that spending large amounts of money to change suspension parts will provide a different ride when buying Honda parts for a Touring/Elite model to install on a lower trim model? How have you decided that the Touring/Elite models have a softer suspension to compensate for the less compliant tires?

Changing tire brands and sizes as already mentioned would be the best way to change the suspension ride and handling. You could also replace suspension parts with aftermarket parts as the OP has mentioned in the original post.

·
Registered
125 Posts
So typical on so many automotive forums. Members who are self proclaimed "experts" posting incorrect information.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a 2016 EX-L with 54k miles now and have the same rough, loud suspension some of the folks on this forum have raised. I have come to the conclusion that the factory shocks and struts are bottom of the line and having the dealer replace them will just result in the same quality put back in. I was wondering if anyone has done an upgrade or gone air ride or bags to soften the overall ride.
I looked at KYB, Bilstein, Monroe, Strutmasters and none of them have any solutions for the 3rd generation Pilot. Has anyone found a suitable option that softens the ride? Hoping someone can offer any suggestions. The current rough ride quality is just not going to work long term.

Thanks in advance.
Have a 2011 Pilot Touring with AWD. Have had suspension problems (shocks and ride quality) since the beginning. Had replaced the rear shocks with the KYB model (which I now hear that it is the same model as the stock one) and found little improvement. I had the fronts struts replaced under warranty at 45,000 miles after complaining that the vehicle consistently lost its rebound (jounce) control after going 200 miles on a 300 mile trip. Again, the factory struts were marginally an improvement. I have been looking for replacement Bilstein or Koni shocks for years and late last year, finally found them at Tire Rack.
By then, I have had over 120,000 miles on the Pilot and the shocks were failing again. Ordered the sport struts and the sport rear shocks from TireRack. Looked for progressive springs for the vehicle, but it appears the the aftermarket suppliers do not consider the Pilot heavy duty enough to manufacture a line for it.
I recently had the struts and the rear shocks installed. The ride is now heavy, dampered and controlled. It is smoother than ever and the combination with the original springs seems to be compatible so I have decided not to replace the springs.
Even though the Bilstein struts and shocks are the sports model, the ride is smoother than the stock set up. I would wholeheartedly recommend this set up for the Pilot of my series.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts