Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search to see if anyone had installed the OEM rear view camera. All I found was a few comments on how useful and great they are. Has anyone tried installing the rear view camera? I read the instructions and it seems a little more difficult than all the other accessories I have installed myself.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I had mine done by the dealer, but I asked about it. They had to remove most of the interior on the passenger side of the vehicle which made it very time consuming, but I don't know how difficult it would be compared to things like fog lights, it is basically the same type of install: mounting an item and running wires then hooking those wires to the correct locations. The NAVI system has a menu in the setup screen to enable the camera. We went with the dealer install before delivery on this particular item to receive the full 3yr/36K warranty.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Well, based on the instructions

it looks like quite a bit of work. The instructions are 18 pages long.

Remote Camera Installation Instructions

Note that the instructions warn against DIY'ers.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I thought about it. You can find a LCD screen for less than $100, Camera for about $50(better find an wide angle one) The rest is just wiring. If you already have Navi. No need for LCD then.

The real stop point for me was where to mount LCD. No matter where I mount, it will look like a hack job since I don't have Navi screen. That's where I went for backup sensors.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: Well, based on the instructions

sfhondapilot said:
Note that the instructions warn against DIY'ers.
All Honda accessories warn against DIY'ers, I believe, let me know if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe you are right. The warning against DIYers is in all the instructions. For some, that is a deterrent to scare you off from doing it yourself. But everything that I have installed myself did not required any special skills or tools.

·
Registered
342 Posts
True, but they do advise you to keep the instructions in the glove compartment in case you have any problems.

You know, when you install one of these cargo carriers wrong it can mess up your brakes and radio reception...

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
ChuckW said:
True, but they do advise you to keep the instructions in the glove compartment in case you have any problems.
Uh-oh... I think I threw mine away with the UPS box...

ChuckW said:

You know, when you install one of these cargo carriers wrong it can mess up your brakes and radio reception...
...not to mention the alignment starts pulling to the left, too!!! :19: :21:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Well, based on the instructions

kemosabe said:

These installation instructions didn't warn against DIY'ers... :D

Okay, so I'm a wise guy... :p
Wise guy...:3: I thought about putting a disclaimer about the accessories that do not require "actual" installation but I figured no one would call me on that. So let me revise my statement, All Honda accessories that require installation past placing an object in the car, or require a tool of some sort, have a disclaimer warning against DIY'ers. Is that better for you Kemo, or should I get one of the lawyers from my firm to take a look at it? :4: :17: :4:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, based on the instructions

PSUPilot said:

[ S N I P P E D ]

...or should I get one of the lawyers from my firm to take a look at it? :4: :17: :4:
Okay, I'll call My Cousin Vinny... :D :p ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Well, based on the instructions

kemosabe said:

Okay, I'll call My Cousin Vinny... :D :p ;)
Excellent reply, you have been light on the humorous pictures recently, good to see some again.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am about to get the rear view camera and install it myself. One last question to all that have the camera, can you see anything at night time?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I don't have one, but according to a post in general discuss yes you can. The back up light appear to be bright enough for the camera.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks like this uses a proprietary wiring harness to the navi unit. I guess you can't use a different aftermarket camera then?

·
Registered
288 Posts
wwong said:
I am about to get the rear view camera and install it myself. One last question to all that have the camera, can you see anything at night time?
Sorry for the delay, but I have been on vacation and then busy at work catching up. You can see pretty well at night, the camera seems to be fairly light sensitive, plus the backup lights do a decent job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts