Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on Lexus 450h, the hybrid version of the 350? Have not driven one but is rather interesting, especially with 10 year 150K standard battery pack warranty.
Thanks!
If you can get over the lack of cargo space and the front end spindle grill design, and ”floating roof” Lexus makes some really good quality stuff - better than Honda / Acura generally. I wish we liked their current designs... we just don’t.

· Registered
22 Posts
If you can get over the lack of cargo space and the front end spindle grill design, and ”floating roof” Lexus makes some really good quality stuff - better than Honda / Acura generally. I wish we liked their current designs... we just don’t.
Gotta say, the grille is pretty horrendous, especially if you need a front license plate like is required in NJ. Really like the V6 petrol engine in conjunction with the electric. As to space might consider the HlL, an extra 8 inches and more upright back.

Thanks for the thoughts.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Gotta say, the grille is pretty horrendous, especially if you need a front license plate like is required in NJ. Really like the V6 petrol engine in conjunction with the electric. As to space might consider the HlL, an extra 8 inches and more upright back.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Yeah, that’s my struggle too. Toyota does a great job and is “conservative“ generally leading to such good well built cars. My IS300 has about 237k miles on it and it’s 20 years old. Thing is bulletproof. The paint is falling off but you could drive i across the country with zero worries. It’s still got the original alternator, air conditioner, coil packs, etc. I’d love to be a loyal Lexus customer... I really would... but they don’t make that easy.

You may also want to check out the Audi Q7 if you’re looking at the RX-L. More space, can probably get pricing close to the same, 4 cylinder is actually pretty good with TONS of room under the hood if you ever did have to work on it (plus shares parts with a ton of VWs so they are affordable parts), ZF 8 speed transmission is bulletproof, infotainment is first rate and actually works well, power folding 3rd row, it’s crazy quiet, and subjectively... it’s not ugly. Just a thought. I’d always ruled them out, but there’s a lot to like there if it fits your needs / wants.

· Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
Following this thread from an automotive interest angle. New Audis or BMWs or Volvos etc make beautiful SUVs or cars but the past history of ??reliability, high initial expense, maintenance expenses and low residual value tend to point me towards leasing rather than owning.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Following this thread from an automotive interest angle. New Audis or BMWs or Volvos etc make beautiful SUVs or cars but the past history of ??reliability, high initial expense, maintenance expenses and low residual value tend to point me towards leasing rather than owning.
Yeah, the OP was talking about the new MDX. Lately Acura has been worse in quality ratings than a lot of the European stuff and the price can be in the same neighborhood. The older models are getting strong discounts. Based on my research I was surprised at how well the late model Audis are doing and if you can skip the dealer the maintenance may even be downright reasonable with the exception of tires and brakes. With that said leasing may not be the worst idea if there are concerns.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
Well this thread has been a little all over the place with cars recommended. It seems like you are looking to spend $50-$60k, so the "true" luxury vehicles are a little beyond the price range unless you get a screaming deal or buy a decontented model.

I'd highly suggest looking at the top shelf Palisade/Telluride as well. Nissan is coming out with a new generation Pathfinder that looks pretty nice. The new Grand Cherokee extended model could be intriguing but it's probably a year away.

If you want performance, you are squarely in Explorer ST and Durango R/T territory...

Reactions: briantii

· Registered
33 Posts
The XC90 is getting HUGE discounts in the US. I can get an Inscription T6 for about the same price as a well equipped MDX. Go with the Momentum and it’s cheaper. They actually drive great, but are known to be buggy. Some claim they are mostly sorted out these days - not sure myself. Just pointing it out because it’s a ton of car for the money and the interior is really spectacular. It maybe more affordable than you think.

The Q7 is also an older design though recently refreshed for 2020. I loved the way it drove and the infotainment is truly awesome. The 3D camera system is amazing as is the virtual cockpit. Only negatives are small cup holders, center console storage isn’t a ton, run flats, and the exterior isn’t super exciting. I got a quote for a Premium Plus with executive package 4 cylinder for about $60k US which is about the same as the MDX is going for here. I think the Q7 is the better of the two and likely more reliable. Only thing you miss on that compared to the MDX is the heads up display and colored led lights.

Everything interesting is smaller than the Pilot inside, yet bigger on the exterior.

mMy wife’s issue with the cx9 is the long sloping hood - she likes to see the front of the car.

Volvo said it will phase out vehiclesthat run solely on gasoline or diesel fuel by 2025. In 2020, the company said, 20% of its vehicle sales will be that of plug-ins.

· Registered
1,183 Posts
Q7.
But that being said - I will keep my 16 Pilot until repairs outweigh the cost of a new SUV.
Good luck!
I am with you. The more research I did the more convinced I became that Audi might actually be the smar test choice in the luxury 3 row market. The prod is very impressive and surprisingly few problems reported on the forums.

Volvo said it will phase out vehiclesthat run solely on gasoline or diesel fuel by 2025. In 2020, the company said, 20% of its vehicle sales will be that of plug-ins.

And...? Their plug-in hybrid setup is actually pretty cool. There are folks on the Volvo forums who have gone 6 months without buying any gas because they only make short trips. Sounds good to me. The cars actually disable electric only drive if you go 6 months without needing fresh fuel - it’s to prevent the gas from getting too stale.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
You might want to look at the Subaru Ascent.
For what? Sure, it's a three row Subaru and for Subaru fans that's perfect... but it's really not moving the needle in any categories compared to the other vehicles in its class.

· Registered
10,593 Posts
For what? Sure, it's a three row Subaru and for Subaru fans that's perfect... but it's really not moving the needle in any categories compared to the other vehicles in its class.
For Subaru fans, it doesn't need to move the needle.
It simply needs to be a larger three-row version of a Forester.
If it keeps those Subaru fans who need a larger and/or three-row vehicle from defecting from the brand, then it's mission has been accomplished.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
For Subaru fans, it doesn't need to move the needle.
It simply needs to be a larger three-row version of a Forester.
If it keeps those Subaru fans who need a larger and/or three-row vehicle from defecting from the brand, then it's mission has been accomplished.
I agree... but with my sister having to have an engine out fix on her 4 year old Outback and the horrible tuning on their CVTs... and the awful noises that boxer engines make I need to be thoroughly convinced it's a superior vehicle. I've driven an Ascent and spent some time poking about, it's toward the bottom of my list. Had they come out with something more like the Korean twins they'd be crushing the sales.

Honestly I'm pretty excited for the new Pathfinder. I'm an unabashed Nissan apologist and I think it looks excellent and dropping the CVT for the ZF 9 speed (that hopefully has all the kinks worked out like the later 3rd gen Pilots) is a big improvement in driving dynamics.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.