Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2015 EX-L is still running great, but was getting the itch for something new...

I'm tempted to look for something different from Honda just because I feel they are a little behind in interior design, tech, etc.

So I test drove a 2022 Acura MDX, and a CX-9 signature.

I was expecting to really love both, figured SUV's with more sporty feel maybe. But both disappointed me.
Maybe they are more of crossovers than real SUVs?
The Acura really feels like a tight cockpit, and feels a bit lower to ground than my pilot. I did not find it as smooth as my pilot. Felt more like driving a large car than a SUV.
Similar story with the CX-9, lower to ground, seats were comfy, but still felt like a large car.
In both cases, I was expecting amazing stereo sound - the CX-9 with Bose, and the MDX Aspec with some high end stereo. Both sounded worse than the (crappy) stereo in my EX-L!! Not sure why, even played with settings.

Anyone else been looking? Trying to keep it to MSRP Can$ less than 70k....

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yes, we have been looking. Only two we really loved were the Mercedes GLE and the Audi Q7. The GLE450 is especially lust worthy. With that said, neither are cheap.

The MDX I thought was nice, but not amazing and that infotainment touchpad system is a handful of expletives even focusing on it in the parking lot. I can’t imagine trying to deal with that while driving. Pure trash.

My wife couldn’t see out of the cx9 well enough to bother driving it.

We also drove the X5 - I loved it... my wife didn’t care for it... reminded her too much of my 3 series.

The XC90 is nice and some great deals to be had assuming you aren’t afraid of issues. We didn’t like how the headrests worked with the car seats.

Whatever you do... DO NOT drive the GLE450. That’ll set the bar higher than you want. ;-)

The Audi Q7 is probably the smartest choice and the 4 cylinder even compares well with the MDX V6. I might say I even prefer the Audi 4 cylinder... it’s surprisingly good. The V6 Q7 is probably what I’d buy though. Audi seems to have their act together on these things (both 4 and 6 cylinder models) with few significant problems reported.

For us we just decided to punt it down the road some and stick with old faithful even though the love is gone.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
When I "get the itch", I can usually manage it by polishing the existing car with a bunch of $100 bills. ;)

K is driving a now-vintage 4Runner that she loves. Everything works just fine on it, and it's kept in as close to like-new condition as I can manage. I've placed her in newer versions of the 4Runner, she drives the Pilot of course, and also in the Cayenne TT, a Merc G-wagon, G5 and G7, an assortment of Lexii, but she still likes the one she has. Not a lot of "technology" to fail or go even more obsolete. She's mildly HOH and has no appreciation for music in the car, uses her iPhone for nav and comms, etc. Prior to me, she'd get a new car every five years as the warranties rolled off. I tend to keep cars for 200k+ because the replacement numbers never look good to me.

While there are some "nicer" Pilot-sized SUV's in the market, the one we have is still doing all things it started off doing for us. I think many decide to replace their cars when they get dirty, or when some immediate cash-flow situation forces a poor longer-term financial outcome. Hence the bag of $hundreds for polishing.... Either the $hundreds or the cleaning and polishing will solve most itches, in my experience anyway. Meanwhile, a five year old Cayenne TT would be right at home in the garage here. It won't carry as much or as many as the Pilot, though it does scratch a particular elegant performance itch quite adequately.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
My 2015 EX-L is still running great, but was getting the itch for something new...

I'm tempted to look for something different from Honda just because I feel they are a little behind in interior design, tech, etc.

So I test drove a 2022 Acura MDX, and a CX-9 signature.

I was expecting to really love both, figured SUV's with more sporty feel maybe. But both disappointed me.
Maybe they are more of crossovers than real SUVs?
The Acura really feels like a tight cockpit, and feels a bit lower to ground than my pilot. I did not find it as smooth as my pilot. Felt more like driving a large car than a SUV.
Similar story with the CX-9, lower to ground, seats were comfy, but still felt like a large car.
In both cases, I was expecting amazing stereo sound - the CX-9 with Bose, and the MDX Aspec with some high end stereo. Both sounded worse than the (crappy) stereo in my EX-L!! Not sure why, even played with settings.

Anyone else been looking? Trying to keep it to MSRP Can$ less than 70k....
Try a Genesis GV80: Genesis GV80 – The First SUV By Genesis | Genesis Worldwide

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, we have been looking. Only two we really loved were the Mercedes GLE and the Audi Q7. The GLE450 is especially lust worthy. With that said, neither are cheap.

The MDX I thought was nice, but not amazing and that infotainment touchpad system is a handful of expletives even focusing on it in the parking lot. I can’t imagine trying to deal with that while driving. Pure trash.

My wife couldn’t see out of the cx9 well enough to bother driving it.

We also drove the X5 - I loved it... my wife didn’t care for it... reminded her too much of my 3 series.

The XC90 is nice and some great deals to be had assuming you aren’t afraid of issues. We didn’t like how the headrests worked with the car seats.

Whatever you do... DO NOT drive the GLE450. That’ll set the bar higher than you want. ;-)

The Audi Q7 is probably the smartest choice and the 4 cylinder even compares well with the MDX V6. I might say I even prefer the Audi 4 cylinder... it’s surprisingly good. The V6 Q7 is probably what I’d buy though. Audi seems to have their act together on these things (both 4 and 6 cylinder models) with few significant problems reported.

For us we just decided to punt it down the road some and stick with old faithful even though the love is gone.
I have looked online at the Q7 and XC90, but I think they push the budget too far! The GLE450...lol....way too much. I actually did also test drive a 2019 BMW X6 with only 19k km's on it, price was about 68k Can. But really came away underwhelmed. Didn't really notice the extra power in the engine, and just felt like driving a plain car. And of course not as much space as an SUV.
The CX-9 - not sure if it was the same issue as your wife, but I too was bothered a little bit by the A pillar. For some reason I just 'noticed' it more while driving.
I'm pretty confident I can get a few more years easy out of my '15 pilot with minimal repairs if I want to, and maybe thats what I'll end up doing.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have looked online at the Q7 and XC90, but I think they push the budget too far! The GLE450...lol....way too much. I actually did also test drive a 2019 BMW X6 with only 19k km's on it, price was about 68k Can. But really came away underwhelmed. Didn't really notice the extra power in the engine, and just felt like driving a plain car. And of course not as much space as an SUV.
The CX-9 - not sure if it was the same issue as your wife, but I too was bothered a little bit by the A pillar. For some reason I just 'noticed' it more while driving.
I'm pretty confident I can get a few more years easy out of my '15 pilot with minimal repairs if I want to, and maybe thats what I'll end up doing.
The XC90 is getting HUGE discounts in the US. I can get an Inscription T6 for about the same price as a well equipped MDX. Go with the Momentum and it’s cheaper. They actually drive great, but are known to be buggy. Some claim they are mostly sorted out these days - not sure myself. Just pointing it out because it’s a ton of car for the money and the interior is really spectacular. It maybe more affordable than you think.

The Q7 is also an older design though recently refreshed for 2020. I loved the way it drove and the infotainment is truly awesome. The 3D camera system is amazing as is the virtual cockpit. Only negatives are small cup holders, center console storage isn’t a ton, run flats, and the exterior isn’t super exciting. I got a quote for a Premium Plus with executive package 4 cylinder for about $60k US which is about the same as the MDX is going for here. I think the Q7 is the better of the two and likely more reliable. Only thing you miss on that compared to the MDX is the heads up display and colored led lights.

Everything interesting is smaller than the Pilot inside, yet bigger on the exterior.

mMy wife’s issue with the cx9 is the long sloping hood - she likes to see the front of the car.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,044 Posts
Having only done 16000 between out two cars in the last year, it’s hard to justify a new car. I had just started looking at full size pick ups a year ago to....

I tried to convince the wife a few months ago to give her car to our oldest when he was moving but she is as faithful to her xc60 as a golden retriever.

·
Registered
586 Posts
When I "get the itch", I can usually manage it by polishing the existing car with a bunch of $100 bills. ;)
I did that last year during the initial c19 lockdowns. She’s shinny.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I recently rented an 8-passenger Ford Expedition and found it surprisingly nice. It actually drove really well for such a large vehicle, although it's been years since I've driven a newer pickup. Sticker shock came when I realized a fully loaded one could go for north of $75K. It's nowhere near as plush as a luxury car, so I assume part of the price premium is for the truck frame with the higher towing capacity. That said, I might consider a used one someday if I need a 7-8 seater tow vehicle.

I've always kept my eye on the CX-9. Bummer you were disappointed with the latest model.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I recently rented an 8-passenger Ford Expedition and found it surprisingly nice. It actually drove really well for such a large vehicle, although it's been years since I've driven a newer pickup. Sticker shock came when I realized a fully loaded one could go for north of $75K. It's nowhere near as plush as a luxury car, so I assume part of the price premium is for the truck frame with the higher towing capacity. That said, I might consider a used one someday if I need a 7-8 seater tow vehicle.

I've always kept my eye on the CX-9. Bummer you were disappointed with the latest model.
I drove a rental as well and was impressed except for the shaking going down the interstate. Price is insane... yet you see tons of them.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I recently rented an 8-passenger Ford Expedition and found it surprisingly nice. It actually drove really well for such a large vehicle, although it's been years since I've driven a newer pickup. Sticker shock came when I realized a fully loaded one could go for north of $75K. It's nowhere near as plush as a luxury car, so I assume part of the price premium is for the truck frame with the higher towing capacity.
The Expedition is nowhere near as plush as a luxury car because there has to be something left out to justify the existence of the Lincoln Navigator,

·
Registered
238 Posts
We recently checked out 2 Toyota's. The Highlander was noticeably smaller room-wise all around compared to our Pilot, but we were okay with that. Ride was nice, but the wind noise was unexpectedly noticeable to both my wife and I. We may take another model for a ride to see if that wind noise was unique to the first one. Aside from the higher price, we liked this vehicle. Also drove the new Venza. Really wanted to like this vehicle as we thought the downsized size and style was right for just the 2 of us. Ended up disliking that car a lot. Aside from a disappointing ride and engine noise (yes I said engine noise in a hybrid), the wife was very uncomfortable in the passenger seat, something we've noticed in other online reviews as well. For me the stunningly confusing all electronic dash and touchscreen were deal killers. The dealer did not appreciate it when I joked that they've turned the car into a big cell phone.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I had thought about checking out the Highlander as well. We had a top trim level as a rental about 3 years ago and it was very nice. That said it seems to get a lot of bad reviews from what I've read on various user forums.....I didn't bother reading into why yet.
When I was shopping for my pilot back around '14 I had also test driven a lot of pickups like the F150 Lariat and the RAM 1500 Sport. Those were really nice to drive, but I had never owned a pickup, and I guess I kind of chickened out and went with the pilot, which was also a good 10k cheaper.
I guess I'm kind of all over the place, lol....maybe another reason to hang on to the pilot a little longer. Is there any new news on the pilot refresh??

Oh, and looked very briefly at grand cherokee but find they also seem to be behind on interior design, and, I owned one back around 2003 and the repairs were non stop, and as well the dealership was terrible, literally lying to me about repairs that were not needed (proven by other dealerships, etc).

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
We gave my wife's Rogue to our daughter who just turned 18 and will be leaving for college soon. <sniff> So we went shopping for a new car for my wife. Then my wife's employer notified everyone they would not be returning to in person office status for the rest of this year. They are going to the Hotel System. If you want to come in, you have to reserve an office and you must wear a mask all the time you're in. Now my wife wants to retire. She hates managing via Skype and the new younger hires just don't give a crap about anything. Want to be babied.

So ... after some excruciating dealer visits, we are happily giving up looking for a new car and going to try getting along with one perfectly running 2012 Pilot and an older minivan, both of which we love. We didn't like anything we looked at. It's all junk nowadays. And the prices once you go up from base models is insane. More gingerbread, more initial price, more to break, more maintenance costs. Pass.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We gave my wife's Rogue to our daughter who just turned 18 and will be leaving for college soon. <sniff> So we went shopping for a new car for my wife. Then my wife's employer notified everyone they would not be returning to in person office status for the rest of this year. They are going to the Hotel System. If you want to come in, you have to reserve an office and you must wear a mask all the time you're in. Now my wife wants to retire. She hates managing via Skype and the new younger hires just don't give a crap about anything. Want to be babied.

So ... after some excruciating dealer visits, we are happily giving up looking for a new car and going to try getting along with one perfectly running 2012 Pilot and a older minivan, both of which we love. We didn't like anything we looked at. It's all junk nowadays. And the prices once you go up from base models is insane. More gingerbread, more initial price, more to break, more maintenance costs. Less is more.

I'm def feeling the potential pain re price. Going from a fully paid off Pilot to another large monthly payment could be painful. And outside of -looks-, I haven't been very impressed either. Every time I test drive something, it feels so comfy to hop back into the pilot. It just seems to work, and is super comfy, not complicated. I think I want something new to look at, but want the drive of my Pilot.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I'm def feeling the potential pain re price. Going from a fully paid off Pilot to another large monthly payment could be painful. And outside of -looks-, I haven't been very impressed either. Every time I test drive something, it feels so comfy to hop back into the pilot. It just seems to work, and is super comfy, not complicated. I think I want something new to look at, but want the drive of my Pilot.
My wife said of all she looked at, she would prefer to have the new Rogue, mostly on styling I guess. I don't know if it's considered a Crossover or SUV or either, but it's towards the lower end of the price range for same. We will be retired empty nesters and have no use for another full size SUV.

Me, I don't want another CV transmission at any price. The existing Rogue hasn't given us any problems (knock on wood), but getting another one would just double my worry wait for a CV transmission failure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on Lexus 450h, the hybrid version of the 350? Have not driven one but is rather interesting, especially with 10 year 150K standard battery pack warranty.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Anyone have any thoughts on Lexus 450h, the hybrid version of the 350? Have not driven one but is rather interesting, especially with 10 year 150K standard battery pack warranty.
The main criticism of the RX seems to revolve around the interface controls for the infotainment system.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Before you go shopping for a new car ... you might want to look at this: (some that made the list are surprising!)
These New Cars Are Most Likely to Break Down – 24/7 Wall St.
What what what?!?! A Range Rover isn’t reliable? Say it ain’t so! With that said, I do have a subscription to CR and some of their summarized reliability scores are a bit sketchy. For example how do you rate a car as 2/5 when every single category is absolutely highest ranked average or above except for in car electronics? Engine, transmission, cooling, brakes, etc... all the important stuff good. Only negative marks for in ca electronics like infotainment. Seems odd to me. Q7 is the perfect example. Only negative marks were for infotainment and brakes. The brake issues that were common a few years ago were just squealing.... hardly worthy of a 2/5 when everything else is ranked fantastic according to their own surveys.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts