Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm getting my 11 pilot on Friday will be installing a single din receiver with a double din screen..

·
Registered
278 Posts
I was looking at that when researching options for my 2013 EX, but determined it would not work for me. It LOOKS like that naviplayer thing should work as long as your car meets the criteria listed on their website. The semi-broken English on the website also makes me a bit uneasy about being able to get support is there are any problems. I was not able to find any negative reviews of the unit, which is a good sign...

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you don't have navigation or are willing to ditch navigation and want a more traditional installation, it is fully possible with effort...

IMG_20200120_174813.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes the climate stuff is still there but the radio station info, time and compass are gone. None of which were all that important for me considering the benefits of a more recent head unit and what it offers.

I installed this head unit several years ago for BT, HD radio and USB capabilities and am currently waiting for the Pioneer 4400 or 4500 AA/Carplay models to get down to a better price.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ok, so in your model, climate control talks to display directly, and not through audio head, which is good news. Did you do your own dash modding to make it fit or you used some kind of existing mounting kit?

So, for those looking to upgrade, and not minding to spend a bit extra, a good option would be this dash kit:

And then use a floating-screen single DIN such as Alpine Halo9 or Sony XAV-AX8000

You would also want to look into adding a subwoofer mono amp.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Ok, so in your model, climate control talks to display directly, and not through audio head, which is good news. Did you do your own dash modding to make it fit or you used some kind of existing mounting kit?

So, for those looking to upgrade, and not minding to spend a bit extra, a good option would be this dash kit:

And then use a floating-screen single DIN such as Alpine Halo9 or Sony XAV-AX8000

You would also want to look into adding a subwoofer mono amp.
Looking at the picture it appears to be hand modified... it's good for someone who wants to modify their vehicle to their taste and functionality but not clean like a professional (or scorrpio) install.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep - hand modified with some help from the linked Scosche kit (the trapezoidal piece only) that I got dirt cheap used off of Amazon warehouse. I also disassembled the head unit casing to drill mounting holes in the right place for it to line up with OEM head unit cage so it sits in the right place (without this it sits too far back). The rest is your typical head unit install using various adapters and wiring kits so as to not have to splice into factory wiring and to have the steering wheel controls still function properly. I did have to tap into the rear camera wire above the rearview mirror but I think that's the only factory wire I tapped. This was quite a few years ago so memory is fuzzy.

It's not professional-looking only because I didn't put in the time to make it so. The Pilot has always been my winter beater and we really, really beat on it :). My wife was even somehow able to rip off one of the running boards parallel parking in a snow pile that turned out to be chunks of ice (Blizzaks rock). You can get a much better result if you put some extra love in it.

@scorrpio - Yeah the first half of the generation had a simpler integration design than the latter half.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep - hand modified with some help from the linked Scosche kit (the trapezoidal piece only) that I got dirt cheap used off of Amazon warehouse. I also disassembled the head unit casing to drill mounting holes in the right place for it to line up with OEM head unit cage so it sits in the right place (without this it sits too far back). The rest is your typical head unit install using various adapters and wiring kits so as to not have to splice into factory wiring and to have the steering wheel controls still function properly. I did have to tap into the rear camera wire above the rearview mirror but I think that's the only factory wire I tapped. This was quite a few years ago so memory is fuzzy.

It's not professional-looking only because I didn't put in the time to make it so. The Pilot has always been my winter beater and we really, really beat on it :). My wife was even somehow able to rip off one of the running boards parallel parking in a snow pile that turned out to be chunks of ice (Blizzaks rock). You can get a much better result if you put some extra love in it.

@scorrpio - Yeah the first half of the generation had a simpler integration design than the latter half.

Does your pilot have the 10 speaker package? At this point that’s the major stumbling block to me going for the swap. Unsure if/how it’s possible for the factory amp to integrate w/ a new head unit and if all 10 factory speakers can be retained. Any direction would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
@sekmn I have the 7 speaker. All speakers are working except the sub using the Metra harness supplied by Crutchfield. I replaced the door speakers with nice Infinitis so between that and how poor the OE sub sounded I can't even tell it's gone.

Crutchfield customer service is top notch. Looking up the kit on Crutchfield, they do list compatibility with the factory amplifier. Call them up and ask them what you would lose from the 10 speakers to make sure.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Factory amp feeds the dash tweeters off the fronts, and rear satellites off the rears. So generally a head unit providing front/rear/sub preamps has almost all speakers covered except the center one (typically used for nav prompts) I suppose if one is really determined, they can split off their fronts into a small passive mixer like a Rolls MX42 and send the output as center pre-amp.

The REAL head-scratcher, however, is that factory amp is a black box with some connectors and zero external controls. All adjustments, such as channel gain, tweeter crossovers, etc, are communicated from the factory head unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Factory amp feeds the dash tweeters off the fronts, and rear satellites off the rears. So generally a head unit providing front/rear/sub preamps has almost all speakers covered except the center one (typically used for nav prompts) I suppose if one is really determined, they can split off their fronts into a small passive mixer like a Rolls MX42 and send the output as center pre-amp.

The REAL head-scratcher, however, is that factory amp is a black box with some connectors and zero external controls. All adjustments, such as channel gain, tweeter crossovers, etc, are communicated from the factory head unit.
This uncertainty of the whole thing prompts me to hesitate on going forward with this. I very much want to proceed with doing a double din unit but do want to retain the factory speakers. If I were to go to new speakers, I feel like I’d be spending a fortune to do a whole new build.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts