Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Service manual says I can reuse my head bolts with a different torque sequence, anyone reuse theirs? Replacing the head gaskets on my 240k mile 06’ Pilot but not trying to botch the whole job by being cheap.

·
Registered
11,434 Posts

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you reuse yours?

·
Registered
574 Posts
I haven't done the heads, but in the grand scheme of things the cost of new bolts is almost incidental in any job. Yeah, the old ones will work well enough, but the savings are pretty meaningless.

I try to replace them all if they either get a lot of torque or are low enough to rust. I've missed a few, but the few bucks I've saved never makes me smile when the job is finished.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
I've always re used. However, never did the heads on a Honder V6.

Probably better to get new/oem, if not too cost prohibitive for sure.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
312 Posts
If I had a blown head gasket I would change them. If I was pulling the head for something else I would reuse them once.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
After dealing with several job-stopping busted bolts/nuts this summer I know I spent more than $100 for all the Honda M14 135mm sub-frame, CA, suspension bolts as well as replacing all the rusty M6 bolts with SS fasteners for the radiator, ATF lines, ATF/PS cooler etc. So if $30 for new bolts saves you a headache from drilling out a broken head bolt I'd say go for it. My issue was primarily crusty, rusty bolts that I was lucky to get out the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts