Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The factory 16x6.5's with 235/70-16 tires seems small for such a large and heavy vehicle. Hondas (and Acura) all too often seem 'under-tired'. I know their vehicles are engineered for maximum balance of economy, handling, road noise etc., but I think cost was more of a motivator for Honda than anything else.

But strictly from an ethusiast, aesthetic and possibly handling standpoint, don't some of you want some beef between you and the road? Costs notwithstanding of course. If this was a $40k vehicle, something tells me there'd be 17" wheels with better and wider tires. Arr-arr-arr. :29:

If you are or would if you could, what would YOU do?

·
Registered
481 Posts
More rubber on the road

Also awaiting the release of some Sagebrush Pearl Pilots.

If I could, I would trade in the factory installed tires for some 245 or larger tires on the 16" rims. While it'd be nice to go all out, but I think that I'd rather drop $1000-1500 on a sunroof rather than 17" alloys.

As far as tires, I'm suprised that the Pilot comes with car tires and not some SUV/Truck tire or a hybrid. I'd like to put on some BFG hybrids or the Michelins that someone mentioned in another post.

Nothing radical, but certainly better than stock.

You?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Fuel economy!

It is not cost savings, belive me! In fact Honda is probably paying top dollar for the Pilot & MDX tires, as they are not very common sizes.

They are choosen for max mileage, along with acceptable handling ...

If you go with wider tires you WILL see less MPG!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I do, which I may...

Me? Nothing too radical. Looking at tread widths and offsets, I'm thinking 17x8's with 255/60-17 Michelin Cross-Terrains would fit the bill nicely. This maintains stock diameter as to not upset the VTM-4 logic and, hence, the warranty.

This is the Voxx Forza in a dark silver (anthracite) finish from Dicount Tire.

Right at $1200. complete, installed locally as configured above.

Whaddaya think? Not too far of from stock, but a good 1.5 " wider at each wheel, that's about 6" more rubber on the road. ;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE:
They are choosen for max mileage, along with acceptable handling ...
On our sister site AcuraMDX.org, many owners have done similar upgrades with "no appreciable loss in MPG". Although it would seem through basic laws of drag, weight and rolling resistance there would be a reduction. How much? Probably not enought to concern me, IMHO. The Pilot already gets terrific mileage but if that was my main priority I would have gotten a Civic Hybrid instead.
Picture a Corvette or even an X5 with these tires. Kinda like like that guy at the gym who only works on upper body but doesn't seem to notice his pencil legs. I guess it's an aesthetic balance of mass.

Okay, way too complicated. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Upgrading wheels/tires tomorrow.

I'm getting new setup 7-24. I'll post a pic as soon as I can. I'm getting Konig Tantrum wheels w/Michelin Cross Terrains(255/60 17") My pilot is a Siver EX-L RES. This is one great vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YEAH, ICEMAN!

PLEASE report back with any feedback on differences in handling, roadnoise, etc. good or bad. Nice choices. THANKS!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I believe the gerneral rule of thumb is a 1" upgrade causes very minimal effects on vehicle performance. 2" and up is where you begin to feel the wheel/tire effects ie. harsher ride and fuel economy. But, you can't beat the cosmetic value ... for street use no problems but for going offroad or constant tiding over rough surfaces you would be wasting your money on boutique rims. Forgive me for saying so, but Toyota does an excellent job on the rugged exteriors of their trucks which includes large rims and tires that look good.

PrG

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Anyone selling a spare EX wheel and tire?

Nothern IL, or SE WI prefered.
What should be the going price?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Re: Anyone selling a spare EX wheel and tire?

N_Jay said:
Nothern IL, or SE WI prefered.
What should be the going price?
N_Jay, N_Jay :14:

With over a 100 posts, you should know where to go look for that. ;) (just joking, not trying to be an ass)

Under the Classifieds Forum, MDXlite has listed his wheels and tires for sale. Please refer to http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=347 and you will find the answers you seek.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Pilot's new clothes

As promised, here is the new setup. The ride does not feel as cushy, but that's good. There is more tire noise as the OEM tires were car road tires and not light truck/suv tires. What do you think?? I showed them to the Honda sales guy and he was blown away by the difference. I think they may look a little better in person than the photos show.

I have the side steps on order and look forward to dressing it up a little.

Later...

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Yes but!!

Yes, but;
1.MDXlite is in Atlanta.
2. $250 is way more than I want to spend
3. as more people change wheels, tere should be a relitive surplus of OEM wheels.

Hey Iceman, Ohio is not too far, what do you want for one wheel/tire :)
Will be driving through in August.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great pix!

Thanks Iceman. Looks great. Any chance of propping a stock wheel/ tire next to your new ones and taking a picture? The comparison may help others- I think it's hard to appreciate the difference without perspective.

By the way- welcome!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Re: The Pilot's new clothes

Iceman said:
There is more tire noise as the OEM tires were car road tires and not light truck/suv tires.
That's interesting, as the Michelin website states that these tires should be quieter.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Re: Yes but!!

N_Jay said:
Yes, but;
1.MDXlite is in Atlanta.
2. $250 is way more than I want to spend
3. as more people change wheels, tere should be a relitive surplus of OEM wheels.

Hey Iceman, Ohio is not too far, what do you want for one wheel/tire :)
Will be driving through in August.
To your points:

1. Shipping via UPS ground would add about $20 (not too bad) especially if you can get a deal (what about it MDXlite?).
2. I agree. If you read the thread, you will see that I and others made that point. I directed you to the thread so you could get your answers on what you should expect to pay, not to suggest you buy one of MDXlite's tires.
3. Obviously.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thread has been deleted

I deleted that classified thread. When (if) I decide to sell them I will make sure they are very reasonable. Price would include shipping anyway. Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.