Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still in my search to replace wife's 2008 Odyssey, was back to looking hard at the 2019 Pilot after accepting the windshield molding design is poor. I never noticed until last week how the Pilot's and many other vehicles rear door jam gaskets are put together. I have never owned a vehicle that the rear door jams are actually a part of the inner wheel well.

I have now noticed that the Pilot, Highlander and Edge among probably many others have designed the rear door jam to be exposed to the wheel well debris. Each manufacture puts it together differently but basically you need some gaskets to seal out the crap from coming into the rear door jam. It is also suppose to protect the plastic cladding from getting grit and such into it (if the vehicle has that as part of the design). In my opinion this is a bad idea for many reasons:

Depending on the material the gaskets will wear out in time due to the punishment from everything the tire kicks up.

There will be more dirt and debris making its way into the door jam as the gaskets start to fail.

Water is going to get behind the gaskets and if it doesn't drain fully you will be trapping moisture behind the plastic cladding which will lead to rust.

The Pilot design is flimsy and multiple pieces, I totally see these gaskets wearing out with in a few years. There will be moisture and grit trapped behind the cladding. The Highlander for example is put together a lot better but also has a problem with draining and trapping. I don't know why Honda did this, it just looks like a maintenance issue to me. Has anyone looked closely inside the rear door jams to see how the rear door jam is actually a part of the wheel well. My 2008 Odyssey with 125k on it is just starting to rust in the wheel well, somehow the seal is no longer in the metal inner well lip. I am looking a lot closer to how vehicles are built with this new upcoming purchase. Only other vehicle I have owned this long was a 2002 Pathfinder with 100k, no rust when I sold it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Doubt it will be much of an issue if kept clean by wiping down after every car wash.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
732 Posts
All I can add to your post is that we drove almost 3900 miles recently doing a driving vacation. Several long days of driving in pouring rain and thunderstorms at interstate speeds. Several dirt and unpaved roads.

When we got home I washed the car the next day. I was EXTREMELY SURPRISED to find how clean and dirt free the inner door jams and bottom of the doors were both front and rear !!

I have never had a car that was as well sealed to keep stuff out as this Pilot does. What happens in several years I have no idea but I don't think it is going to be any problem at all.

Not sure what you are unhappy about the windshield molding but we have no wind noise and it looks good to me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to hear about the seal on the rear doors keeping the crap out of the door jam. I know there are no perfect vehicles, they all can have problems. I do think the Highlander is put together better but I wont buy another vehicle that I think the front seat wont work comfort wise. The Pilot has the best seat for what qualities I prefer: seat is high off the floor to allow more leg drop, wider flatter seat and you can tilt the front up a lot for thigh support. The other car vehicle I considered for awhile is the new Subaru Ascent but the seat if too firm and your right elbow isn't able to rest on the center console while steering. I do think they have the best looking interior of the three.

The windshield molding others have mentioned. The side molding that is on each side going to to under the hood you can pop out with one finger. The way they attach it is so weak. Some have mentioned that at highway speeds it has come loose. To me it was done as a cost saver. I think though for engine and tranny reliability the EXL should do well. I'm not interested in white as a color so shouldn't hopefully have a paint issue that has been mentioned. I like the dark red color but don't see many on the lots. The dark gray with black leather looks good but it seems that is the most popular color you see driving around.

Probably will get out and test drive one soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts