Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I currently own a 2016 Pilot EXL with Sensing that has close to 100k miles on it. My concern is even through we have the HondaCare warranty for 8 years/120k miles, I’m concerned about upcoming timing belt replacement with water pump replacement and to long term reliability of the fuel injection system and transmission (although its the 6 speed front wheel drive).
I realize both the CRV and RAV4 are smaller vehicles, but we would likely buy a hybrid with either due to wanting all wheel drive and improved gas mileage compared to the Pilot (we are getting 22-23 mpg with about 75% city/25% highway). I feel
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
439 Posts
My opinion, the transmission will be very reliable if you regularly change the transmission fluid and disable the VCM. The upcoming service will be a big expense, no doubt. I agree about the question marks on the fuel injectors. Impressive that yours haven't needed replacement.

If you've got the cash, make the jump, but I wouldn't do it on the basis that you are going to save money on either repairs or gas mileage. Personally, I'd probably go with the Toyota based on Honda's current reliability troubles.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My wife and I currently own a 2016 Pilot EXL with Sensing that has close to 100k miles on it. My concern is even through we have the HondaCare warranty for 8 years/120k miles, I’m concerned about upcoming timing belt replacement with water pump replacement and to long term reliability of the fuel injection system and transmission (although its the 6 speed front wheel drive).
That Honda is just breaking in....invest in preventative maintenance: Aisin package deal (TB/WP/tensioner etc) and enjoy the ride for another round of 100K. And don't forget the routine fluids PS PB ATF RR Diff etc...all normal necessary maintenance

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
Test drive or rent these alternatives so you know what you’re getting into. Smaller cars, smaller engines. You may not notice the difference in power but you also could.

so many people get freaked out by the cost of the timing belt and get a new car (did Honda plan that?), to me it’s $1,000 to give your car another 100k miles!
As long as you keep up with transmission fluid and oil changes it’ll be fine. Also disable VCM.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
I realize both the CRV and RAV4 are smaller vehicles, but we would likely buy a hybrid with either due to wanting all wheel drive and improved gas mileage compared to the Pilot (we are getting 22-23 mpg with about 75% city/25% highway). I feel
Any thoughts?
Assuming that you will have a similar annual mileage in the future as you have had in the past, you might save $1K/year on the cost of fuel by switching to a smaller SUV with a hybrid powertrain.
What will be the net cost of that new vehicle after trade-in, including any increases in insurance rates, property tax, etc?

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
so many people get freaked out by the cost of the timing belt and get a new car (did Honda plan that?), to me it’s $1,000 to give your car another 100k miles!
I've been "freaked out" twice, thus far, and haven't succumbed to the temptation to replace my Pilot.
Maybe the third time will be the charm?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Any thoughts?
Admittedly I have become a Honda critic on this forum, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But unfortunately I also speak from experience as I too own a '16 Pilot, and as it happens ... a '18 CRV. I'll spare you all my whining and crying stories, but they will be the last Honda's I own. I've thrown in the towel spending my own money repairing Honda's ill-conceived engineering ideas after the fact. You may want to check out the CRV owner's forum before forking out the dough for hybrid CRV. Given the feedback there, it is obvious Honda has enough problems getting their CRV's running well with a simple 12 volt battery, let alone more sophisticated hybrid technology. While the other posters encouraging you to keep the Pilot could very well be right, I for one will be going back to Toyota next time as those cars did not disappoint me when I owned them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Frankly I tend to be a believer that you either got a good one and it’ll continue to make you happy with infrequent issues, or you get a lemon that is a nightmare. If you’ve been happy with it I’d put a timing belt on it, do the other maintenance and roll on. Chances are if it hasn’t fallen apart yet, it probably won’t just all the sudden have everything fail. Financially it’ll take a ton of repairs before it becomes cheaper to buy a new car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the feedback and any ongoing feedback.
I‘ve always driven Hondas from the time I was 18 (93 Civic 5sp, 02 Civic 5sp, 09 Fit and CRV, 13 Accord 6sp, 16 Pilot, and 20 Insight). This is the first one of all (except maybe the British made 02 Civic Si) that I have concerns with about the long term reliability of the vehicle.
I agree that the cost of the replacement of the timing belt and water pump should not be the deciding factor in replacing the Pilot but when reading these forums about the issues people have had with the fuel injection system and either of the transmissions and the cost to repair or replace either, I question whether it makes long term financial sense to keep the Pilot.
There are other reasons I am considering is we don’t particularly need the size of the Pilot and the suite of semi-automated driving features has improved significantly in the past 5 years.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
" Pilot (we are getting 22-23 mpg with about 75% city/25% highway). I feel
Any thoughts? "

My 08 FWD only get s 19.5-20.5mpg, with the flipside of yours -75% hwy, 25% city- with now 190K miles.
VCM only disabled about 4K ago. It's been a great SUV for us. I'll keep it until it drops. We bought it new.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Those are some great thoughts and questions you have.

Sometimes I find, the grass ain't always greener.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've been "freaked out" twice, thus far, and haven't succumbed to the temptation to replace my Pilot.
Maybe the third time will be the charm?
I appreciate the feedback and any ongoing feedback.
I‘ve always driven Hondas from the time I was 18 (93 Civic 5sp, 02 Civic 5sp, 09 Fit and CRV, 13 Accord 6sp, 16 Pilot, and 20 Insight). This is the first one of all (except maybe the British made 02 Civic Si) that I have concerns with about the long term reliability of the vehicle.
I agree that the cost of the replacement of the timing belt and water pump should not be the deciding factor in replacing the Pilot but when reading these forums about the issues people have had with the fuel injection system and either of the transmissions and the cost to repair or replace either, I question whether it makes long term financial sense to keep the Pilot.
There are other reasons I am considering is we don’t particularly need the size of the Pilot and the suite of semi-automated driving features has improved significantly in the past 5 years.
while the 3rd generation Pilots did have issues with injectors, keep in mind this forum is an echo chamber of complaints and problems. Most people join a forum because they need help solving a problem....

I’m just saying that so you know the problems people on here are experiencing, are a small percentage of total Pilot owners.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
Now the situation has changed.
If you no longer need a Pilot-size SUV and newer vehicles have additional features that you find attractive, then maybe putting the cost of the upcoming timing belt replacement instead toward a new vehicle makes sense and it's time to trade in your Pilot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My wife and I currently own a 2017 Pilot EL-X (34K miles) and a 2017 RAV 4 Limited with 35K miles.

While we both love the RAV4 for it's intended use of mostly around town and 4-5 hour trip interstate trips neither one of can imagine replacing our Pilot with a RAV4.

If we could only own one of them it would be the Pilot without question. On long tips at 70-80 mph we are getting a solid 24 miles per gallon with the Honda. Given the far superior ride comfort and extra room with the Honda it's not even close in terms of a choice.

Of course mine is just another opinion.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would wait for 2022 new generation Pilot. They will most likely ditch the 3.5 V6 and it's beloved VCM.
My guess would be, there will be a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo instead of V6 or Hybrid. Either way no timing belt and better gas mileage.
That's what they did with the new Accord.
But as others said , mine is just another opinion.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Maybe consider looking at the Passport? It's a little smaller and has updated safety features but you won't be sacrificing power. I also don't think the potential savings by getting a more fuel efficient car will make much difference. Buying a new car is expensive.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
I would wait for 2022 new generation Pilot. They will most likely ditch the 3.5 V6 and it's beloved VCM.
My guess would be, there will be a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo instead of V6 or Hybrid. Either way no timing belt and better gas mileage.
Maybe they'll do a 2.0 liter 4 cylinder turbo with a supercharger, like Volvo.

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
I would keep the Pilot and just do the tb/wp maintenance. Whatever repairs come up will be much cheaper than buying a new car. The injectors have an extended warranty to 10 year or 150k miles, so you will be covered for awhile if they fail. I still drive the 2013 CRV I bought for my wife brand new and she drives the Pilot. I could afford to replace the CRV with something I really want, but I just can't bring myself to do it since it's been paid off for 4 years now.

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
I would keep the Pilot and just do the tb/wp maintenance. Whatever repairs come up will be much cheaper than buying a new car. The injectors have an extended warranty to 10 year or 150k miles, so you will be covered for awhile if they fail. I still drive the 2013 CRV I bought for my wife brand new and she drives the Pilot. I could afford to replace the CRV with something I really want, but I just can't bring myself to do it since it's been paid off for 4 years now.
What is that something you really want (and can afford)?

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Just another
here, but for the new generation PIlot I'd wait for 2023, its second year, to see if they've ironed out the bugs that come with a new generation 1st year.

Maybe consider looking at the Passport? It's a little smaller and has updated safety features but you won't be sacrificing power. I also don't think the potential savings by getting a more fuel efficient car will make much difference. Buying a new car is expensive.
I can't believe my fingers are typing this, and I sure hope @Daltongang doesn't interpret this as any form of validation :p, but perhaps indeed consider the Passport. There, I said it. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts