Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased my first Honda, a 2016 Pilot EXL. After driving it for a few days I keep feeling it hesitate, wavering, lack of power, etc when accelerating (or even holding the pedal steady).
After researching I discovered the 'fantastic' VCM 'feature'. I believe when you get a piston, spark plug and combustion chamber together you should use them to explode gasoline. Anyway...
Has anyone installed an S-VCM and how did it go? How hard was it to get to the ECT sensor?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've installed a competing product on 19 Pilot. It's extremely easy to install. The sensor itself just requires you disconnect it. Hardest part is really just wiring the battery connection. Again, not hard.

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's not super easy nor super hard to get to. Remove the engine cover (no bolts, only plastic posts in rubber grommets) to make it easier.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Not sure what you are feeling is the VCM rather than something else.

You might want to check into the transmission fluid replacement/software reprogramming TSB also as a source of your drive-ability concerns. Could also be the fuel injectors which are showing up as a problem in some of the earlier models also. How many miles on your 2016?

VCM shouldn't even kick in while accelerating. It does kick in when cruising on a flat road while under no load.

Reactions: MtMan

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

You might want to check into the transmission fluid replacement/software reprogramming TSB also as a source of your drive-ability concerns. Could also be the fuel injectors which are showing up as a problem in some of the earlier models also. How many miles on your 2016?

VCM shouldn't even kick in while accelerating. It does kick in when cruising on a flat road while under no load.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

[IMG alt="stevenrweggie"]https://www.piloteers.org/d1/avatars/m/307/307595.jpg?1576982035[/IMG]
stevenrweggie
Registered

Joined 3 days ago
2 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 3 days ago
I just purchased my first Honda, a 2016 Pilot EXL. After driving it for a few days I keep feeling it hesitate, wavering, lack of power, etc when accelerating (or even holding the pedal steady).
After researching I discovered the 'fantastic' VCM 'feature'. I believe when you get a piston, spark plug and combustion chamber together you should use them to explode gasoline. Anyway...
Has anyone installed an S-VCM and how did it go? How hard was it to get to the ECT sensor?

Bookmark

M
maxcbrdriver
Registered

Joined Dec 9, 2018
30 Posts
#2 3 days ago
I've installed a competing product on 19 Pilot. It's extremely easy to install. The sensor itself just requires you disconnect it. Hardest part is really just wiring the battery connection. Again, not hard.

Bookmark

[IMG alt="stevenrweggie"]https://www.piloteers.org/d1/avatars/m/307/307595.jpg?1576982035[/IMG]
stevenrweggie
Registered

Joined 3 days ago
2 Posts
Discussion Starter • #3 3 days ago
Thanks.

Bookmark

N
nafterclifen
Registered

Joined Dec 22, 2016
175 Posts
#4 2 days ago
It's not super easy nor super hard to get to. Remove the engine cover (no bolts, only plastic posts in rubber grommets) to make it easier.

Bookmark

ls973800,
2 days ago I saw another discussion the hesitation symptoms for a 2016 Pilot which describes my issue better and also recommends a transmission fluid change. So one of the menbers in the discussion also had the SB # so I took that into the dealer and have scheduled the fluid change and a firmware update if needed. My Pilot only has 48k miles so I would expect injectors yet but anything is possible.
Thanks for the headsup. Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Just to follow up on this:
I was going to install a S-VCM 'tuner' for my hesitating, non-responsiveness in the transmission issue but thanks to this and another discussion on this forum I decided to have the transmission fluid changed per the SB-014 & SB-015 today. On the way home from the dealer it drove like a dream; hesitation is GONE. Great work everyone, thank you. I will still probably install the S-VCM when it gets here though.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just to follow up on this:
I was going to install a S-VCM 'tuner' for my hesitating, non-responsiveness in the transmission issue but thanks to this and another discussion on this forum I decided to have the transmission fluid changed per the SB-014 & SB-015 today. On the way home from the dealer it drove like a dream; hesitation is GONE. Great work everyone, thank you. I will still probably install the S-VCM when it gets here though.
Glad to hear it took care of your problem!

I have a 2019 and considered the S-VCM and decided against it at this time. Supposedly the 3rd generation Pilots have an updated or different configured system than earlier vehicles had. Who really knows but that's the way I am going now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear it took care of your problem!

I have a 2019 and considered the S-VCM and decided against it at this time. Supposedly the 3rd generation Pilots have an updated or different configured system than earlier vehicles had. Who really knows but that's the way I am going now.
I assume 3rd generation means 2016 and later?
Do you know how the VCM configuration is different than earlier vehicles?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yes, I meant the 2016 and later Pilots. Not sure what they have done hence the " Supposedly the 3rd generation Pilots have an updated or different configured system" comment in my post. I have read on a few other forums the same for those vehicles (Ridgeline, Passport) and one was from a Honda mechanic who made the same statement about changes. I have never been able to find exactly what was changed however, if anything.

There have also been posts from people who believe that using the ECO mode allows the VCM to engage. That is not true on the 3rd gen Pilots. ECO mode and non-ECO mode both allow the VCM to engage. ECO mode changes the throttle response, transmission shifting, and A/C operation to try and save fuel.

·
Registered
447 Posts
3rd gen uses ECON not ECO. The modes are NOT the same. Pre-2016 used ECO which did tie in the the VCM. Current 3rd gen ECON mode has no connections to VCM. Honda improved the VCM operations by cycling the cylinder deactivation on/off more often to prevent past issues (hopefully).

·
Registered
732 Posts
3rd gen uses ECON not ECO. The modes are NOT the same. Pre-2016 used ECO which did tie in the the VCM. Current 3rd gen ECON mode has no connections to VCM. Honda improved the VCM operations by cycling the cylinder deactivation on/off more often to prevent past issues (hopefully).
Thank you, I stand corrected for leaving the "N" off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts