Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask, cause I'm thinking of doing it. This is probably a more common accessory add on for pick ups and truck tailgates than cars, but am considering for the added safety of a better illuminated rear end while traveling when it is dark. We were driving at night on a highway last week during a rain storm and came up unexpectedly on a slow moving car with virtually no rear lighting. Had to brake hard to avoid hitting the vehicle. Got me wondering about my own Pilot and if the added lighting in the rear might help protect me in a similar situation. And yes I've already checked to see how my Pilot looks from the rear in the dark. I'm curious about where to go for the electrical connection. My first impulse is to plug into my unused trailer wiring harness connection instead of some other sort of wire splicing. Thanks all.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I haven't done it, but also thought about an LED bar under my bumper. Mostly for backing up at night. I live in the woods so no extra light. I'd probably plug into my trailer wiring if I can.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
One guy went with a light-up chrome skull dood in the receiver hitch. 💀

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/busted-chrome-dood-is-not-well-received.111641/

The hitch was that it was not well received by the missus.

If you want to throw caution into the wind, so to speak, you could also try glow-in-the-dark truck nuts. 🍒

·
Super Moderator
15,246 Posts
I ask, cause I'm thinking of doing it. This is probably a more common accessory add on for pick ups and truck tailgates than cars, but am considering for the added safety of a better illuminated rear end while traveling when it is dark. We were driving at night on a highway last week during a rain storm and came up unexpectedly on a slow moving car with virtually no rear lighting. Had to brake hard to avoid hitting the vehicle. Got me wondering about my own Pilot and if the added lighting in the rear might help protect me in a similar situation. And yes I've already checked to see how my Pilot looks from the rear in the dark. I'm curious about where to go for the electrical connection. My first impulse is to plug into my unused trailer wiring harness connection instead of some other sort of wire splicing. Thanks all.
Took me a bit to understand the problem you were having.

Over in Europe, high intensity rear fog lights (21 Watts) became mandatory decades ago. The benefit of them becomes immediately obvious in heavy rain or fog. You simply see the lights of the car in front of you long before you actually see their wimpy 5watt tail lights.

They are common on Euro imports to the US.
afog.jpg

·
Registered
319 Posts
Took me a bit to understand the problem you were having.

Over in Europe, high intensity rear fog lights (21 Watts) became mandatory decades ago. The benefit of them becomes immediately obvious in heavy rain or fog. You simply see the lights of the car in front of you long before you actually see their wimpy 5watt tail lights.

They are common on Euro imports to the US. View attachment 132700
As long as they are on automatically. I see it all the time, people driving with no lights in fog or snow. It drives me nuts! Of course the mentality is, "It's daytime, can see fine"! People don't realize it's so you can see them. Lots of dumb people on the road. I can't tell you how many times I was about to change a lane on the highway when a car just appeared out of nowhere...no lights on! Idiots! LoL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided there is no good way to do this, and have given up. The easiest electrical connection is to add a 4-pin trailer wiring harness, Unfortunately the light options are not good. All entail gluing or screwing something to the plastic bumper, so I decided not to do this modification.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed my mind, again. :unsure: I'm going to do this.

We drove home on the interstate at midnight over the weekend, and I inspected the rear end of just about every vehicle that passed me to see how visible they looked from behind. Some looked good, and some would clearly benefit from better illumination. Ended up talking myself back into adding a combination tail and brake light to my Pilot. Parts are on order and will arrive this week. I'll post some pics of what I do when finished.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is what I did. Installed a 17" tail and brake LED strip light on the lower bumper hitch cover. Tail light function looks great. Makes the Pilot much more visible in the dark. I like it. The brake function is a joke on this particular strip light, it is essentially imperceptible from the tail light brightness. The double light in the "after" photo is reflection off the bumper. Only one strip light was added.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It cost me a few bucks (CDN) but I got some sweet LED's installed on the '18 and had them controlled via toggle switches (got back-up lights for my trailer too...above lic. plate cut into the plastic for secure mounting. Throws great light and pleased to pay the pro installer who did the work. Am very pleased. Back-up camera is great but mirrors I have used most and WANT LIGHT. "Aziz, more light!" First shows mounting, second pic shows light throw. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
It cost me a few bucks (CDN) but I got some sweet LED's installed on the '18 and had them controlled via toggle switches (got back-up lights for my trailer too...above lic. plate cut into the plastic for secure mounting. Throws great light and pleased to pay the pro installer who did the work. Am very pleased. Back-up camera is great but mirrors I have used most and WANT LIGHT. "Aziz, more light!" First shows mounting, second pic shows light throw. Hope this helps someone.
What brand/model light and some closer pics of how they are mounted would be great. They light up nicely.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like the Fifth Element reference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
;)
I don't know the brand of light but if you can reference the writing on the lens might help. Purchased at Lordco,
LEDmounted.jpg
Lordcolight.jpg
and here's how buddy mounted them. OK a bit backasswards but here's requested info.
"MultiPass!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts