Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has installed either the roof rack or roof rails and how hard they thought it was? Doesn't look that complicated from some videos on youtube of installs on older Pilots. Deciding if I go for the 2019 EX-L and install them myself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
KenH-

When I traded in my 2012 CRV on a 2016 Pilot EXL AWD, I needed a roof rail in order to mount my Thule rack. The dealer wouldn’t install rails on the pilot for me as I had the rails on the CRV, but he at least he gave me the rails and I said that I would install them.

Pretty straight forward install, the instructions can be found on-line. I would recommend getting a GOOD metric tape measure, as all the given measurements to cut and trim the existing plastic/sheet metal trim (that covers the rail tracks) are in MM or CM, and you have to be precise when cutting them - like in wood working - measure twice, cut ONCE!

One other major issue is that when you are removing the existing trim, there are little clips at the aft (back end) of the roof/rails that hold the cover on - right above the lift gate. Be VERY careful when removing the trim piece so that you don’t bend/break these clips.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
The hardest part for me was getting the rear hinge cover off. As gr8campr said, straight forward install but go slow when removing the rear hinge covers and make sure you release the clips before pulling. I broke the first one I was doing so I had to get the replacement part before I could finish the install. Just in case you need the part number, for the 2017 EX-L it is 91571-TG7-A00. Verify that the 2019 uses the same number, if needed. It was hard to find for me, it is under body/air conditioning, outer panel - roof panel.

One more thing, be careful not to rest your elbow on the rounded edge of the roof. During my install, I must've leaned too hard on that edge so it left a couple of small indentations probably only noticeable to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and tips!. Sounds like it won't be too difficult a job to do myself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The hardest part for me was getting the rear hinge cover off. As gr8campr said, straight forward install but go slow when removing the rear hinge covers and make sure you release the clips before pulling. I broke the first one I was doing so I had to get the replacement part before I could finish the install. Just in case you need the part number, for the 2017 EX-L it is 91571-TG7-A00. Verify that the 2019 uses the same number, if needed. It was hard to find for me, it is under body/air conditioning, outer panel - roof panel.

One more thing, be careful not to rest your elbow on the rounded edge of the roof. During my install, I must've leaned too hard on that edge so it left a couple of small indentations probably only noticeable to me.

Yeah, I’d snapped one clip as well on my 2016 install. I checked that part number you gave and it says it would fit 2016-2019’s.

Can you please tell me how you replaced the clip so I can replaced mine? Thanks for doing the research and getting the part number!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
No problem. I glued the new one on with "3M 03601 Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive". So far so good, stayed on through a year of variable temperatures here in Seattle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just curious if anyone has installed either the roof rack or roof rails and how hard they thought it was? Doesn't look that complicated from some videos on youtube of installs on older Pilots. Deciding if I go for the 2019 EX-L and install them myself.
Can I ask what youtube you used since they do all seem to be older. Trying to decide if I'm going to take this on myself....thanks in advance for your advice!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts