Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying two pair of Infinity Reference 652i speakers from Crutchfield since they're only $69.95 per pair and there's a $20 off $100 purchase from Mastercard. The Crutchfield CSR said that the amplifier in the stock head unit isn't powerful enough to drive these speakers, and didn't recommend them without adding an amplifier. A search of the site shows most people are indeed using an amp to drive them. Is anyone using them without an amp, and if so, how is the sound? Are you using the bass blockers that Crutchfield recommends?

Thanks for any advice.

- shutrbug

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am sorry that I can not answer your question, but I can't help but ask one of my own. Where did you find the information about the Mastercard deal? I went to the site, but didn't see anything.

Thanks for your help.

I thought I read on this sight that the 652i's didn't fit without some cutting. Does anyone know if that is true?

·
Registered
152 Posts
shutrbug said:
I'm considering buying two pair of Infinity Reference 652i speakers from Crutchfield since they're only $69.95 per pair and there's a $20 off $100 purchase from Mastercard. The Crutchfield CSR said that the amplifier in the stock head unit isn't powerful enough to drive these speakers, and didn't recommend them without adding an amplifier. A search of the site shows most people are indeed using an amp to drive them. Is anyone using them without an amp, and if so, how is the sound? Are you using the bass blockers that Crutchfield recommends?

Thanks for any advice.

- shutrbug
Why buy the old model Infinity Reference 652i for $70 at Crutchfield when you can buy the latest model Infinity Reference 6002si for $56.70 at Ikesound.com. Unless you need Crutchfield to walk you through every steps of installation, you should order it from them. If you need a copy of the installation manual for your pilot, you can find it here or any other instruction.

First, I installed just Infinity Kappa 62.5i speakers to see if the sound improved. I found minor improvement in clarity but the subwoofer still put out that boomy noise and also that volume doesn't get any louder. Nothing changed much for the amount of money you're spending. So if you're making any change to the stereo system, might as well make it worth it and install a new amp.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
beowulf777 said:
I am sorry that I can not answer your question, but I can't help but ask one of my own. Where did you find the information about the Mastercard deal? I went to the site, but didn't see anything.

Thanks for your help.

I thought I read on this sight that the 652i's didn't fit without some cutting. Does anyone know if that is true?
beowulf777,

Here's the link to the $20 off $100 purchase from Mastercard. jproffitt said in this thread, "I put the 652's in my wife's pilot. The speakers come with a metal adaptor that you mount to the plastic speaker baffle using the factory screws. Then you mount the speakers to the metal adaptor plate w/ supplied screws. I had the plastic adaptors from Crutchfield but sent them back. I had to "rotozip" the back and a little piece of the side where the speaker leads are. After that, they fit in w/out any problems." So it sounds like they are close to fitting without much modification.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Anyone install Infinity Reference 652i without adding an amplifier?

kippy95 said:

Why buy the old model Infinity Reference 652i for $70 at Crutchfield when you can buy the latest model Infinity Reference 6002si for $56.70 at Ikesound.com. Unless you need Crutchfield to walk you through every steps of installation, you should order it from them. If you need a copy of the installation manual for your pilot, you can find it here or any other instruction.

First, I installed just Infinity Kappa 62.5i speakers to see if the sound improved. I found minor improvement in clarity but the subwoofer still put out that boomy noise and also that volume doesn't get any louder. Nothing changed much for the amount of money you're spending. So if you're making any change to the stereo system, might as well make it worth it and install a new amp.
kippy95,

Wow, that's a great price for the 6002si's! I saw the Crutchfield instructions posted on this site, and along with the other info in the speaker install thread. I feel confident about doing the speaker upgrade myself. Adding the amp may be beyond my comfort level for installing myself. The sensitivity of the 652i and 6002si is spec'ed the same. Was the sound that bad without the amp? I don't need louder sound, but I do want better sound.

·
Registered
95 Posts
re: LINK

shutrbug -

Thanks for posting the link. Now I need to decide if there is value in the swap. I sure would like to hear the answer to your questions.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Anyone install Infinity Reference 652i without adding an amplifier?

shutrbug said:

kippy95,

Wow, that's a great price for the 6002si's! I saw the Crutchfield instructions posted on this site, and along with the other info in the speaker install thread. I feel confident about doing the speaker upgrade myself. Adding the amp may be beyond my comfort level for installing myself. The sensitivity of the 652i and 6002si is spec'ed the same. Was the sound that bad without the amp? I don't need louder sound, but I do want better sound.
Now that you found a better price, you should try installing the speakers first without the amp then you can move on to the next step if not satisfied. Even the price of the amplifier at Ikesound is good too. I got my whole stereo system from them for under $850.

·
Registered
804 Posts
91Octane said:

Foolish mortal. That's what we all say at the start. I just wanted better sounding speakers. Then after that, hmmm... The stock head unit really bites, perhaps a new head unit. Then... what would it sound like if I added an amp? Finally... I bet it would sound really sweet if I added a sub. But I have to amplify it because I'm using a non vented enclosure. Oh man... we are so pathetic! :2:

I'm in audio file heaven! :D
Foolish Mortal thread.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ferdball said:

Originally posted by 91Octane

Foolish mortal. That's what we all say at the start. I just wanted better sounding speakers. Then after that, hmmm... The stock head unit really bites, perhaps a new head unit. Then... what would it sound like if I added an amp? Finally... I bet it would sound really sweet if I added a sub. But I have to amplify it because I'm using a non vented enclosure. Oh man... we are so pathetic!

I'm in audio file heaven!

Foolish Mortal thread.
So true.:headslap:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts