Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anything else special about it other than it has a compass?

·
Registered
186 Posts
My Day/Night mirror is on backorder - had one on the Jeep Grand Cherokee Lmtd we sold and wife really likes it for night driving. Will let you know when it's received and installed.

Bake in Wisconsin:4:

·
Registered
664 Posts
While there is nothing particularly special about it just having it is great. It fills in the windshield space a bit more than the original mirror and the self dimming is really a nice feature. If you would like any photos of it just let me know, I've got plenty. I really like and would get it again given the choice.

·
Registered
111 Posts
banningjr said:
While there is nothing particularly special about it just having it is great. It fills in the windshield space a bit more than the original mirror and the self dimming is really a nice feature. If you would like any photos of it just let me know, I've got plenty. I really like and would get it again given the choice.
banningjr, a photo would be most helpful. I'm considering getting one. I wanted to get one at purchase time but the dealer couldn't find it on the options list. I have no idea why. I thought at first it was because it's not available in Canada, but I see it on the honda.ca website.

Thanks!

---
03 Pilot EX-L SS w/RB
01 Audi S4

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
banningjr said:

I would love some photos!! Plz share what you can, that would be great!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had one in my Volvo.....it's not that great. It's fine and all, but I would NOT pay extra for it. It just isn't a big deal to reach over and flip the mirror. Save your money.

·
Registered
154 Posts
mine is on back order as well, I had one in my 87 IROC and I really liked it when it worked. I had to keep replacing the O-ring (drive belt)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Day/night mirror

Negotoated Internet installation cost with dealer and included it in package. Looks okay and works okay. Probably bought it because I'm just basically lazy...:20:

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have one on our '02 Odyssey with temp and compass and one in a box waiting for install on the Pilot. I like them, they're made by Connelly and of very good quality. Even the mirror and housing is an upgrade form stock. It should have been standard on the EX-L, though.

Did you check availability at Hondacuraworld.com or hondapartsforyou.com or handaparts.com or hparts.com or collegehillshonda.com or hondaautomotiveparts.com? There are others but someone is bound to have it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, I have the mirror. Was part of the deal: I got my Pilot for the MSRP with the mirror and mud guards thrown in. I specifically wanted the auto mirror because it was standard equipment in my '99 Acura TL which I traded in. I think it is an important safety item. Imagine: you are driving on a highway in heavy traffic at night time especially when the weather is bad... you got the picture. Then some idiot behind you has the high beam on just because he feels safer and more comfortable with it. Or an 18-wheeler with headlights located just on the level of your eyes... Getting blinded is the last thing you want in this situation. You also don't want to get distracted with manually ajusting the mirror. Anyway, when you get used to the auto mirror it's hard to do without. I like it a lot. My advice: get it!

·
Registered
920 Posts
The auto mirror might a cool toy to have, but is it a necessary item? No, IMHO. First, the Pilot's rear hatch is tinted pretty dark. Hence, I use the manual dimmer on my factory mirror very rarely. Secondly, taking a sec or two to flip the switch is not too labor intensive. Again...just my thoughts-

·
Registered
13 Posts
MG Pilot said:
The auto mirror might a cool toy to have, but is it a necessary item? No, IMHO. <br>
<...> <br>
Secondly, taking a sec or two to flip the switch is not too labor intensive. Again...just my thoughts-
I agree, it's not a necessary item. On the other hand, what IS necessary but the engine and wheels? :) This "toy" only adds to safety and makes my life more comfortable. IMO, good enough and well worth $180. Flipping the switch is not too hard, of course, but when you are already blinded from behind it might be too late to reach for it. What I like about the auto mirror is its fast response time: it dims almost instantly when senses the headlight beam. Takes more time to brighten back though.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Dano has the right thread. Here is another pic but in the thread I also put a copy of the instructions.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
I also have the auto mirror and while I do agree that the auto-dimming function works well, I bought the mirror more for the built-in electronic compass than for the dimming function.

Doesn't anyone else find that feature worthy of mention?

·
Registered
919 Posts
ChiefPilot said:
I also have the auto mirror and while I do agree that the auto-dimming function works well, I bought the mirror more for the built-in electronic compass than for the dimming function.

Hmmm....let me think. It is a cool gadget, but on the other hand it implies needing help with directions. I refuse to answer that for fear of losing my guy card!

Chris

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ChiefPilot said:

YEAH!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who really just wanted the compass!! Hehe :2:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Originally posted by ChiefPilot I bought the mirror more for the built-in electronic compass than for the dimming function. Doesn't anyone else find that feature worthy of mention?
Yes. Not having the NAV option, the compass is useful, especially when travelling in Houston.
:1:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wanted to get the mirror, but thought it too expensive from the dealer, so did an e-bay search and found a used one for $75 that had just a compass on it. The mirror is made by Gentex, so the compas reading is in the mirror glass itself instead of below the mirror like the Connelly unit that Honda uses, but to save $125, I'll live with it. :D Only caveat was that I had to remove the factory mirror button, and replace it with a GM style mirror button - that was the most time consuming task. Later I found out that there is an adapter that can be used with the Honda OEM mirror button. Of course it was a bit of a pain finding out which wires I needed to use without a wiring diagram, but all in all the mirror is worth it. Much easier on the eyes (particularly in heavy traffic) and I love the compass feature. I'm also going to put another mirror in my SHO, but it was a lot cheaper at $41; however, no compass for it. :(

- Gil
'03 RedRock EX-L
'92 Ford Taurus SHO Jewel Green

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had one of these on my Jeep and it was nice. You forgot you had it until you rented a car and found yourself blinded by other drivers at night. The compass can be useful to if you travel a lot.

How is this wired in if you add it later? Does it get power from the overhead light?

By the way BanningJr apparently has a messier garage than mine based on the picture he posted. :)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts