Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought two chargers, thinking the first was bad, and can't get my phone to charge in the Pilot for more than a few seconds at a time. I have tried the outlet below the radio and the one in the console.

I have a Nokia (SunCom) phone. I have tried charging with the phone on and with it off. I have checked to make sure the plugs are in all the way on the phone and the Pilot.

I notice on the charger that sometimes the light is green, sometimes red. I thought maybe this was tied to when it was charging the phone (green = charging, red = not charging, or vice versa) but it doesn't appear that this is the case.

Anyone have any advice for me? Could I have bad connections in my outlets? Or have I gotten two bad chargers in a row (which is very possible)?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
My Mot. has no problems......

therefore as a lesson never buy Nokia .....always buy Motorola....:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Question, Are you getting the Motorola Chargers or aftermaket ones? I had the same problem when I had a Nokia phone. I brought 2 aftermaket chargers for like $8 each and they didn't charge for more than a few seconds; Then I got a motorola one and it worked perfect. So give that a try.

John

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
John K said:
Question, Are you getting the Motorola Chargers or aftermaket ones? I had the same problem when I had a Nokia phone. I brought 2 aftermaket chargers for like $8 each and they didn't charge for more than a few seconds; Then I got a motorola one and it worked perfect. So give that a try.

John
I have Motorola OEM ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I use the Motorola chargers. the after market types will void any warranty . Remember. the power sockets only work when the key is on.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Our aftermarket charger for our Nokia phones works fine.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The chargers are Radio Shack brand.
I only try to charge with the engine running.
The phone was free (I'm cheap).;)

I will try to get a brand name charger and see if that helps.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
494 Posts
catbert,

All four power outlets in my Pilot work fine. You might want to try the chargers in another vehicle to see if they work properly. You might also want to test your chargers in the other power outlets in your pilot too. If you figure out it's the power outlets. It could be a loose hot wire supplying the power outlets. :3:

Get it looked while you are in warranty. :4:

·
Registered
991 Posts
Catbert, sorry for this stupid response but you mentioned that the charger's lights are sometimes green then red? Is your phone already charged to it's fullest? If so, then the charger may stop charging at this point..

Just in case it is that simple.
:confused:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Motorola I90 (Nextel)

No problems except for when I forget that the phone won't charge without the engine running. You would think I would have learned by now, but I guess since I have been doing it for 10 yrs it will be a hard one to break. The service manager told me he could do something so that he could make the one on under the radio stay on all the time. Still thinking about doing that.

·
Registered
415 Posts
We recently had to change our cellphone (under warranty) and, lo and behold, the car charger of the old phone can not be returned along with the defective old phone. So, instead of buying a new car charger we just bought an inverter that would take any OEM 110V charger no matter what phone we buy. Problem solved:D

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gopilot said:
Catbert, sorry for this stupid response but you mentioned that the charger's lights are sometimes green then red? Is your phone already charged to it's fullest? If so, then the charger may stop charging at this point..

Just in case it is that simple.
:confused:
Wish it were that simple. I don't charge the battery until it is really low or preferably dead so as to prolong the battery life. The color on the charger just changes from green to red willy-nilly. I haven't had time to check the charger in another vehicle yet -- maybe this weekend.

·
Registered
236 Posts
OEM versus aftermarket

I've had four different phones and can only say that most of the non-OEM accessories for the phones are crap. Some work fine but most have problems. Either the battery life sucks, the charger does not work or some other accessory does not fit right.

IMHO, they are not worth the "savings". I guess it depends how much you use the phone. I've got a Motorola v60 and my OEM charger works great in the vehicle. Although sometimes it gets bumped with all the other crap I've got in the center console!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts