Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, I just put a set on my CRV a couple of weeks ago (I also own a Pilot, but it doesn't need tires right now), and I must admit I am pleased. Nice ride and stunningly quiet new vs the worn-out factory installed Bridgestones. Michelin is usually my go-to tire, but in this case I deliberately bought a lesser expensive tire (was about $135 at Sams on sale vs $180 for Michelins I almost bought in the same size) as I fiigured #5 in its category at Tire Rack was good enough for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a set of Pirelli on my 2009 Pilot, and believe they were the Scorpion Verde. Perhaps the previous version as I don't recall any "Plus II". They were a good tire as I recall.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I have the first version, not the II on our Pilot. They've been excellent tires in dry, wet, torrential rain and light snow/slush (4" or less). I wouldn't hesitate to get them again. On our Traverse we have the Michelin X LT A/S (Costco version of the Defender LTX or whatever they call it now, the LTX M/S line). That tire I have a long history with all of the versions and have always had excellent results. I don't know if I'd spend extra for the Michelin over the Pirelli but if they were the same price I'd have a tough decision.

FYI, we have had our Pirelli's for 3 years, about 35k. They are still performing very well and the tread depth will get me to at least 50-60k, maybe more. To me, that's acceptable for a heavy 3 row crossover.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm running the Michelin Defenders on my Pilot and have a long history with them on multiple vehicles. The tred life is as good as it gets and the snow traction for an all season tire is excellent. The only way to get better winter snow traction is to have two sets of tires. If you have real winters, go with the Michelins.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I have them on my 2019 but in 265s. I couldn’t be happier with them. They handle amazing, wet or dry.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Do "you"👈 have experience with this tire? 😇
I've had my Pirelli experience and I'm done with them.
Besides, who would want a tire that's only rated #5 in its category?
OTOH, you could do worse by choosing a tire that has unnatural steering feel.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I've had my Pirelli experience and I'm done with them.
Besides, who would want a tire that's only rated #5 in its category?
OTOH, you could do worse by choosing a tire that has unnatural steering feel.

So TireRack says. The highest ranked tire company is the sponsored advertiser.
Would buy again numbers are what I go by. You seem to forget the high rating TireRack gave Bridgestone Sport AS but only 3.5 out of 10 consumers would buy again. That garbage tire was OE on my 2017 EX-L.
Remember, it only cost me $500 for a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s after mount and balance (245/60r18). $500 for 65k miles or 3 years is win. Plus it fits our 75mph highway needs.
The 245/50r20 comes with a 102V speed rating an even better tire than what I'm currently using. They are a little more pricey at $142 ea.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
It was just a matter of time.
Yes,
And that time is now. Some are discovering that High Performance tires are a grade above your every day All Season.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
And Touring tires are the happy medium in between.
Nothing happy about being turned around, sliding through the midian on squishy touring tires. Oh you said medium. Oh well. <click post reply> :p

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Nothing happy about being turned around, sliding through the midian on squishy touring tires.
Odd, though, that the only consumer - with your favorite Sumitomo P02 tires fitted to a Pilot - who posted a review on the TireRack site said that those tires were "a little quieter, softer and smoother than the OEM" tires and "feels like they have more flex". Sounds like the description of a "squishy touring tire" to me.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Odd, though, that the only consumer - with your favorite Sumitomo P02 tires fitted to a Pilot - who posted a review on the TireRack site said that those tires were "a little quieter, softer and smoother than the OEM" tires and "feels like they have more flex". Sounds like the description of a "squishy touring tire" to me.
That only consumer may have run the Sumo below the ideal tire pressure to experience that unusual flex, softer and smoother comments.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
That only consumer may have run the Sumo below the ideal tire pressure to experience that unusual flex, softer and smoother comments.
Ya, if they put 32psi, they will not get the full benefit of a High Performance tire. No more than 42psi when hot is my target temp. I'm never squishy. I'm not getting a rough ride either.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Ya, if they put 32psi, they will not get the full benefit of a High Performance tire. No more than 42psi when hot is my target temp. I'm never squishy. I'm not getting a rough ride either.
You don't agree with Honda's recommended tire pressure setting.
You don't like their choice of OEM tires.
You don't like their ATF.
You don't like their oil filter.

Gee whiz. Why did you even get a Honda in the first place?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
You don't agree with Honda's recommended tire pressure setting.
This is the tire pressure setting if you use the light weight eco OE tire this vehicle came with. You best put enough air in your tires for the job. Are you only going to inflate your OE tires at 32psi and hook a 5000Lb trailer to your Pilot?
You don't like their choice of OEM tires.
Few do. I believe I'm in the majority on this one.
You don't like their ATF.
I don't like Honda DW-1. It's well documented on this website why. Obviously Honda doesn't have confidence in it either. They just discontinued putting transmissions in their vehicles that use it.
You don't like their oil filter.
The Honda filter is a good filter.
There is no reason to make a special trip to the dealership for one, when for the same money, you can buy a higher quality Mobil 1 Extended Performance filter made with synthetic fiber. Wal-Mart sells these for about the same price. If I want a filter that can last 7.5k to 10k miles like the Honda filter, I can buy aftermarket filters for less than half the price at RockAuto.
Gee whiz. Why did you even get a Honda in the first place?
Reliability?
smirk

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd
1 - 20 of 27 Posts