Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today as my family and I were driving the Pilot in N.GA to go for a day hike, my wife says to me "I think I would like to get a Jeep Wrangler". I am thinking "No way! I don't want a car that is going to break down every other month."

So I decided to turn to the vast knowledge of this forum for some opinions. We need to replace our aging Volvo 850 Wagon.

Any personal experiences and/or strong opinions out there?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
beowulf777 said:
Today as my family and I were driving the Pilot in N.GA to go for a day hike, my wife says to me "I think I would like to get a Jeep Wrangler". I am thinking "No way! I don't want a car that is going to break down every other month."

So I decided to turn to the vast knowledge of this forum for some opinions. We need to replace our aging Volvo 850 Wagon.

Any personal experiences and/or strong opinions out there?
My son has a 2001 with something like 70K miles. No problems whatsoever. He only recently installed new tires and shocks - OEM's lasted him over 65K miles.

YMMV

·
Registered
22 Posts
This may or may not help...but I was the owner of a '91 Wrangler before I purchased my Civic. It was ok...as an 18 year old high school student, it was the vehicle to have.

Anyway, once I went to college it started acting up...severe oil blowback into the air filter compartment and the manual tranny repaired 4 times. I finally got sick of the repair costs and traded it in at 99,989 miles and got my '97 Civic EX.

My Civic now has 202K miles on it and runs just as good as the day I got it!

I've heard that the transmissions are one of the weakest links in the Jeep brand.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Wrangler

Hello

I had a 1998 Jeep Wrangler Sport (4.0 6 cyl) that I ordered from the factory (about 3.5 weeks to build) and really did enjoy it. Despite living in New England I did not get a hardtop (dual top option became available after I ordered it), but did order it with full steel doors. Overall it was an enjoyable vehicle for a single guy. Not very practical from the standpoint of MPG or cargo capacity, but it could not be beat for top down fun and for off road adventure. The AC also managed to keep the vehicle cool with the soft top up (at least the front seat). I think that later in life I would get another one, but probably only as a "toy".

Pros:

- soft top great on summer nights
- true off road capability
- "coolness" factor
- resale value (lost 3k in 3 years selling privately with 41K)
- huge aftermarket
- wide range of factory options / configurations
- reliabilty (hit or miss with Jeep...I was lucky I guess...I even had ABS without problems)

Cons:

- loud ride with wind and tire noise...hardtopwould probably be better (really need the amp and earthquake speakers to appreciate the music at highway speeds)
- MPG (17 without the AC)
- arm fatigue from the customary wave when encountering any other Wrangler on the road
- low towing ability

All in all great car for a single person, or as a toy!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
chrysler vehicles have shown real improvement in quality over the past few years...you will not have any major problems with the wrangler...

its are real cool vehicle...you will enjoy it...ofcourse take a test drive..it might not be for everyone....

only downside..low resale :(

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You might want to go with the Liberty. The Liberty is $1,600 more, but it is roomier and has newer styling than the Wrangler - the ride is probably smoother too.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
tim.s said:
You might want to go with the Liberty. The Liberty is $1,600 more, but it is roomier and has newer styling than the Wrangler - the ride is probably smoother too.

agreee on everything you say but it does'nt have the style of the wrangler IMHO (and is not a softtop)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know there are a lotta car buffs who read this site every day; however, I recommend a look at any April edition of the Consumer Reports magazine for some real definitive assessments on what is or is not a good/great/ or not so good vehicle to buy. Contrary to what some people think, they are not "paid off" by the manufacturers of the items tested ....... and usually hit the nail on the head every time when it comes to which vehicle to avoid. I weigh their input quite heavily when it comes to what is a quality designed and built vehicle with proven reliability. That is why I have 2 Hondas.
:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a young single guy, I ordered my Wrangler Sahara in October 1987. Now, in 2003 with a family of four, I still have it and I still love it, as do the kids and the dog. However, those with long hair will find it necessary to do something to keep it out of their face when the top is down. And if you get the soft top version, expect to have to buy a new top about every four years. There is absolutely nothing like a Wrangler with the top down and the doors removed. The only thing more fun is flying. Although Consumer Reports has historically given it low marks, when they do so they are usually comparing it with passenger cars. Of course it is noisier and rides rougher than a car because, surprise, it is not a car. But it is great at what it does. With off-road tires, I was able to churn my way down our 300 foot driveway through two feet of snow last winter. The Pilot would not have gotten ten feet out the garage door. Oh, and it has been continuously improved. Last year they replaced the old Jeep four cylinder engine with a more powerful version from Chrysler. They also replaced the five speed manual with a heavier duty unit. And you can now get it with a Dana 44 rear axle (and the front axle too if you splurge for the Rubicon model). If I ever do sell my Wrangler, I will replace it with a new Wrangler. By the way, rumor has it there will be a V-8 available next year.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Re: Wrangler

osteome said:
Hello
[snip]
- arm fatigue from the customary wave when encountering any other Wrangler on the road
From experience and having read about others' in here, looks as though that's something the Pilot owners don't have to worry about. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the responses so far. I have to admit I am surprised there is not more negative feedback. I had some preconceived notions on Jeep quality and they weren't good.

This has been very helpful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bought a Wrangler in 1998 and still have it. Very few problems. Poor gas milage with auto and air. The advantage of a Wrangler is there is always a market for it when you want to sell. Kids will still buy it if looks beat up and 15 years old. Try that with some other models. Would still buy again if I could go back in time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jeep Wrangler

beowulf777-

I own a 2002 Wrangler X. It's my weekend vehicle and my Pilot is my M-F vehicle. It's a great vehicle for off road, back country roads and city streets. It's not that great to drive at speeds higher than 65-70mph, IMO. Leave the long trips for your Pilot!

I was really impressed with the initial build quality of my Wrangler. No complaints.

The engineering and design are a little outdated, but you get over that once you start driving it. All the controls, switches, knobs, etc. work great - more like a Japanese car and way above new VW's.

If you get the 6 cylinder engine, it's very reliable. It's easy to also call it very old too! I think it started out as a tractor engine for International Harvester back in the 40's. All Jeepers pretty much agree, get the 6 - it's bulletproof.

They now have a very heavy duty 5-speed manual transmission, which they changed to in 2000. I'd recommend the 5-speed over the new 4-speed automatic which is in it's infancy right now.

It's a blast driving with the top down!

For more in-depth comments, visit edmunds.com and drop in on the Wrangler forum.

-Pete

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Wrangler and Safety

Another thing that I forgot to throw my two cents in on as a previous Wrangler owner.. is the relative safety, assuming that you don't attempt to drive it like a Formula One car or insist on driving around with the doors off constantly. Granted it is an SUV (well at least of sorts) so you do sit a bit higher...but I had the unfortunate luck to have been involved in a broadside accident with a Buick that ran a stop sign (evidently a bingo emergency). I was perhaps doing about 15 to 20 MPH and conncted with a vehicle doing about 25 to 30 MPH. For me, no airbag deployment and merely drove it away with pure cosmetics damage....totaled the Buick. Was fairly impressed and greatly releived after that one... I hope not to "test" the Pilot in the same fashion. Did not notice a deterioration in performance or stability following the incident...pretty impressive for a small but albeit heavy vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts