Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the OEM roof rails, but have not settled on any crossbar system yet. I am somewhat invested in Thule stuff (mostly due to the easily matched locks, which I have several extra and would reuse if I go that route) but not necessarily committed to going down that route if there is something that works much better.

I'd like something that works for tie-downs, ski racks, the occasional extra bike that doesn't fit on my hitch rack, and maybe a kayak or something at some point.

Unless there's something amazing out there that I'm missing, I am probably going to go with to the aeroblade again (as on my previous vehicle).

If there is something more utilitarian, reasonably aerodynamic, and really versatile with a variety of ways to tie things down, I would love to hear it. Wish there was a really slick aftermarket (ARB?) System, but the pilot really isn't the core market for those.

·
Registered
506 Posts
If there is something more utilitarian, reasonably aerodynamic, and really versatile with a variety of ways to tie things down, I would love to hear it.
In engineering talk, the problem as stated is over-constrained.

Stuff on your roof is the opposite of aero. The best you can hope for is to keep the noise down. Versatile is often the opposite of reliable for a specific purpose, or a trojan horse for selling expensive attachments. But maybe that's just me.

I think you've already got the right answer: crossbars you're familiar with that have a reliable integrated locking system and support a complete line of carriers for whatever you need. I suggest getting longer crossbars, so you can move the load outboard of the roof rails if necessary. This is especially handy for bikes on top of a Pilot. Taller people will have to watch their heads, though.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Has anyone ordered aftermarket cross bars? I found these on eBay: For 16-20 Pilot JDM Aluminum Roof Rack Rail Cross Bar Top Cargo Luggage Carrier | eBay

I know the old saying “you get what you pay for” always applies. In my experience I’ve never had any bad experiences with aftermarket stuff on eBay.

That said, these roof bars will be holding gear at highway sp
I checked out a pair of these knock-offs (basically, I suspected they might be junk, but given the price and my only occasional use, I thought it would be worth looking in to).

They were total junk. In fact, that ebay seller just refunded me the money and didn't even provide RMA or any return shipping info. I guess they realize they're destined for the landfill either way. I'd regard the product listing as basically fraudulent.

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They were total junk. In fact, the ebay seller just refunded me the money and didn't even provide RMA or any return shipping info. I guess they realize they're destined for the landfill either way.
To clarify, the fitment was not secure at all, and not adjustable in any way that would result in solid contact with the roof fails. I could see visible daylight between the brackets and the roof rails - a bolt through the plastic brackets was the only thing holding them up. It should be illegal to drive with such a poorly engineered and manufactured accessory.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To clarify, the fitment was not secure at all, and not adjustable in any way that would result in solid contact with the roof fails. I could see visible daylight between the brackets and the roof rails - a bolt through the plastic brackets was the only thing holding them up. It should be illegal to drive with such a poorly engineered and manufactured accessory.
Thank you sir! You just saved me from a nightmare, no doubt! OEM it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have a 2021 that doesn't have roof gear yet. Thinking of installing myself. Has anyone done this? One question is whether it's possible to install Passport roof rails on a Pilot. The Passport rails are more versatile than the standard rails or crossbars for the Pilot in that they allow for changing the position of the crossbars. (Part #08L02-TGS-100) (See install here:
) Or would Pilot roof be significantly different in spacing of bolts, etc?

·
Registered
2018 EX-L AWD
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed the flush rails - it was more than just turning a screwdriver, but not by much. Very similar process to what that video appears to show.

I'd be very surprised if the bolt pattern was exactly the same between the pilot and the passport, but if it actually worked, and they are more versatile than I would for sure swap. The fixed-position bolt holes for mounting crossbars is absurd.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed the flush rails - it was more than just turning a screwdriver, but not by much. Very similar process to what that video appears to show.

I'd be very surprised if the bolt pattern was exactly the same between the pilot and the passport, but if it actually worked, and they are more versatile than I would for sure swap. The fixed-position bolt holes for mounting crossbars is absurd.
Thanks for the reply -- how was the install of the rails - did you find yourself breaking the plastic brackets?

I have also been looking at the Thule systems.
This can be configured w/o buying the roof rails and would allow some adjustment forward and rear but would still have to keep the bars over the doors, so the amount of wiggle room is still pretty limited.
four feet Thule Rapid Traverse Foot Pack 480R - about $220 at REI
The Thule Traverse Fit Kit 1811 to get the feet to fit the roof is another $130
And then you have to buy the bars - which are a couple of hundred more, so the outlay is like $550.

·
Registered
69 Posts
OK is anyone willing to try the Passport side rails on their Pilot. Would probably help if we could see the Passport rails and the Pilot rails laid side by side to see if there is much of a difference. Anyone have a friend in the parts department at Honda? Looks like the Passport rails are more versatile with access for tiedowns ( open between roof and rail ) and for cross bar spacing. This is more of the design that I had on my Gen.1 2003 Pilot.
Thanks to: flymypilot

Jacko

·
Registered
69 Posts
OK, I was at the Honda Dealer last week and ask the parts department if the Passport side rails would fit on the Pilot and the said they would check with Honda corp. The answer from Honda was no they would not fit? I would still like to hear from someone who installs them at the dealership. Anyone else have anymore information?
Jacko

1 - 13 of 13 Posts