Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed 245/75 16 tires.I just had tires installed at Sears,and through a mis communication I ended up with 245/75 16 instead of 245/70 16.The tires are close t0 30" tall by measurement.Calculated height would be 30.4" vs stock 28.9".The tires will extend .7" taller and .2" wider.I have looked for interference-checking at full lock-and there isn't any at "normal" sag height.This says nothing in respect to compressed "interference.
On the plus side-they do "look" better,and I will drop a few RPMs-80 RPMS at 60 mph.On the negative it will sit .7" taller-more drag-and the tires are almost certainly heavier than stock,and the gearing means acceleration will be slower.It will stress the drive train more,but we are fairly gentle drivers-.
I would bet the heavier tires-more RR- taller ride height will hurt mpg some-more than the lower RPMS will help MPG.
Oh well.I'm guessing Honda allowed more than .7" more clearance(mud on tires-variation brand to brand-.I'll let you folks know how it turns out.Thanks.Charlie

·
Super Moderator
15,213 Posts
Charlie I replied to your other thread - My Land Rover was the first vehicle with 235/70-16 tires on it from the factory. With all the off roading I used to do 245/75 was the first upsize people went to after a lift.

I think Sears should replace the tires with the 235/70 thats a real bad mistake. Speedo reading, MPG mileage counter will all get messed up by that error. As will braking, acceleration and steering weight. It also adds load to the driveshafts which theoretically may result in a breakage. But thats unlikely in a road scenario.

Did you replace all four?

Tell Sears that its unsafe to replace tires with a size not used by the manufacturer. It their error and they should replace it for free.

·
Registered
187 Posts
rocky said:
Charlie I replied to your other thread - My Land Rover was the first vehicle with 235/70-16 tires on it from the factory. With all the off roading I used to do 245/75 was the first upsize people went to after a lift.

I think Sears should replace the tires with the 235/70 thats a real bad mistake. Speedo reading, MPG mileage counter will all get messed up by that error. As will braking, acceleration and steering weight. It also adds load to the driveshafts which theoretically may result in a breakage. But thats unlikely in a road scenario.

Did you replace all four?

Tell Sears that its unsafe to replace tires with a size not used by the manufacturer. It their error and they should replace it for free.
I dunno - the tires might be fine. Just note that Honda only recommends the 235/70 or the 255/65 sizing. So they are really limiting what otherwise might fit fine. I am guessing the speedo & odometer might be showing lower than reality by a small margin. I can't imagine the extra tire load not being within the margin allowed. Keep us informed how it goes!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks-255/65-pretty big.

hanks guys.I kinda surprised that a conservative corp like Honda allows anything but original sizing. 255/65 is a pretty wide(and therefore heavy tire).I would bet the 245/75 is still a little heavier,and waaay shorter,but it is encouraging that Honda will allow that much extra tread on the ground.
They would never allow a taller tire,since it will throw the odometer-speedometer off quite a bit,and will essentially regear the vehicle adding about 5% to the gearing with the stresses that implies.
Luckily,and auto trans will "ease' the driveline stress a bit with the soft engagement(guess auto's aren't all bad-they kill city mpg-but not like they used to).It will make the speed about 5% less than it is;60 mph will be 63 mph.Same story for odometer-100 miles will be 105 miles.
I just like the darn waaay to big tires,so I'll cross my fingers and give a up a little acceleration-mpg(I think the weight,increased ride height are going to more than negate the 80 fewer RPMs).Thanks guys.Keep you posted.Charlie

·
Registered
187 Posts
Re: Thanks-255/65-pretty big.

charlie said:
hanks guys.I kinda surprised that a conservative corp like Honda allows anything but original sizing. 255/65 is a pretty wide(and therefore heavy tire).I would bet the 245/75 is still a little heavier,and waaay shorter,but it is encouraging that Honda will allow that much extra tread on the ground.
They would never allow a taller tire,since it will throw the odometer-speedometer off quite a bit,and will essentially regear the vehicle adding about 5% to the gearing with the stresses that implies.
Luckily,and auto trans will "ease' the driveline stress a bit with the soft engagement(guess auto's aren't all bad-they kill city mpg-but not like they used to).It will make the speed about 5% less than it is;60 mph will be 63 mph.Same story for odometer-100 miles will be 105 miles.
I just like the darn waaay to big tires,so I'll cross my fingers and give a up a little acceleration-mpg(I think the weight,increased ride height are going to more than negate the 80 fewer RPMs).Thanks guys.Keep you posted.Charlie
One other thing that might concern those of us in winter climates- would the reduced clearance be a problem for clearing snow from the wheelwells?

On my wife's Maxima, the snow cannot clear out, and it piles up near the rear of the tire,which is a real headache.

How much clearance is there, at minimum, from the inner fender liners - do you think snow will get packed in there? Thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Where does it say it is ok to put 255/65 16 tires on the Pilot? Because I have the fender flares on mine I would love to have the wider tires to fill out the wheel wells without having to buy wider wheels.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not much clearance

There isn't much rear wheel clearance.The pilot is off with my wife,so I can't measure it,but I'm guessing ~1".Take a look at stock clearance and subtract 3/4".Charlie

·
Registered
187 Posts
JeffKnob said:
Where does it say it is ok to put 255/65 16 tires on the Pilot? Because I have the fender flares on mine I would love to have the wider tires to fill out the wheel wells without having to buy wider wheels.
Here is a quote from TireRack: "The information that I have shows that a 245/75/16 would be to tall and
would most likely rub. The sizes that Honda has approved for this
vehicle are either the 235/70/16 or 255/65/16."

You might want to contact Connor Klink directly: Connor Klink The Tire Rack [[email protected]]

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Surprised it doesn't rub

GeeWiz,I would have bet that the 245/75 16 would rub somewhere also,but it doesn't.I have spent some time under the Pilot with the wheels at full lock trying to find potential interference-I haven't beeen able to find it yet.We took a 250 mile hy trip yesterday and checked mpg -odometer vs mile markers etc.
At 100 miles by mile markers the odometer shows 95 miles.It is off by ~5.2%.This is almost exactly what the calculated heights would indicate 30.4/28.9=5.1%
The corrected mpg was 21.5.40 of the miles were city(14 mpg miles),so pure hy would be close to 23 mpg-essentially what we got pre tire switch.
At 60 mph-57 indicated-the RPMS are down about 80 RPM.
Tire-road noise is less-.The roads are good-asphalt-around here,it will be interesting to see how they are on concrete interstates(the most noise pre tire switch).At 75 mph the tire noise is present but barely.
There is more "sway" in the ride--on turns,and when driving on hy with gentle up down dips.This isn't something I can measure(I can't measure noise either),but it seems that way.I would expect less precision and more "flip over" potential.No way around that.
More ground clearance-water clearance-noticeable whn crawling under it.
Well,that is it.Surprised there isn't rubbing,but I listening,and looking for that.Thanks.Charlie

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Charlie, that is great info that you have provided. Thanks for your attention to the mpg, speedo & odo. I am thrilled (well, maybe not quite that excited :D ) to know that the 245/75's will fit without rubbing anywhere. Now the only issue I have is: will the snow pile up under the wheel wells.

I do a fair amount of winter road/ fireroad/ frozen lake driving, so I need to ensure the snow can clear out of the wheel well. I imagine that the only real way is to try it! Unfortunately, if it doesn't work out, then I am stuck with 4 used tires, instead of 4 new ones.

If anyone has experience with 245/75's in a snowy climate, I'd be very interested to hear. Otherwise, I will take Charlie's comments in consideration, and give the 245/75's a try in the winter.
thanks! GW

·
Registered
9 Posts
Has anyone installed 245/75 16 tires.I just had tires installed at Sears,and through a mis communication I ended up with 245/75 16 instead of 245/70 16.The tires are close t0 30" tall by measurement.Calculated height would be 30.4" vs stock 28.9".The tires will extend .7" taller and .2" wider.I have looked for interference-checking at full lock-and there isn't any at "normal" sag height.This says nothing in respect to compressed "interference.
On the plus side-they do "look" better,and I will drop a few RPMs-80 RPMS at 60 mph.On the negative it will sit .7" taller-more drag-and the tires are almost certainly heavier than stock,and the gearing means acceleration will be slower.It will stress the drive train more,but we are fairly gentle drivers-.
I would bet the heavier tires-more RR- taller ride height will hurt mpg some-more than the lower RPMS will help MPG.
Oh well.I'm guessing Honda allowed more than .7" more clearance(mud on tires-variation brand to brand-.I'll let you folks know how it turns out.Thanks.Charlie

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am about to put Bridgestone dueler A/T P245/75 R16’s on my 2005 Pilot. Did you have any issues with rubbing or bottoming out with the 3rd row seating use? I see this in an old thread so maybe more than one person will have done it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am about to put Bridgestone dueler A/T P245/75 R16’s on my 2005 Pilot. Did you have any issues with rubbing or bottoming out with the 3rd row seating use? I see this in an old thread so maybe more than one person will have done it.
Likewise, waiting for replies. 2006 Pilot EX

·
Registered
288 Posts
How does a tire place put on wrong size tires? It's their job. Yeah people make mistakes but not if it's your job. You're expected to do it right. That's like hiring a plumber to replace the toilet then you check and now have two sinks!! Make them fix it. The right size tires are important.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It should fit just fine according to many 1st gen Pilot off-roaders that commonly switch to all terrain 245/75R16 mounted on the stock wheels. Some have added air bags and a one or two inch lift kit, but it's for chassis clearance off road, not tire clearance. Look up 'Pilot off road' on youtube.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts