Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had all of your fuel injectors replaced?
I had a cylinder misfire which caused the ECM to just completely freak out and disable practically every system.
The problem was found to be a cylinder mis fire and that it was due to a poor design of fuel injectors.
I have a 2016 Pilot.
The fuel injectors at this point have been redesigned. So all fuel injectors and charge tubes were replaced.
Due to this it appears my MPG has gone down by about 5mpg.
Has anyone else had this problem? This fix? And what happened with your fuel mileage?

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had an injector fail, they sold me a complete set due to not bring sold separately, maybe it was due to a design change you mentioned. Either way, no change in MPG or anything like that. We had this issue at about 58-60k miles, we have about 67k now.

I am worried about doing my timing belt when that time comes for the reason you are going through. I will be taking it to the dealer for that but man, if they do not get it right it can totally effect the performance of the vehicle. Hopefully Honda made it dummy proof.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Worried about a Honda dealer doing something wrong on the timing belt on a J series? That they probably do multiple a day for the last 15 years? Find something else to worry about, that's absurd.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I had mine replaced (not sure how many of them) back in 2017, I believe, due to "Emission Systems Problem", also the fuel rails. Did not notice any changes in MPG.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Worried about a Honda dealer doing something wrong on the timing belt on a J series? That they probably do multiple a day for the last 15 years? Find something else to worry about, that's absurd.
You never seem to have worked at a dealer :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a cylinder misfire which caused the ECM to just completely freak out and disable practically every system.
The problem was found to be a cylinder mis fire and that it was due to a poor design of fuel injectors.
I have a 2016 Pilot.
The fuel injectors at this point have been redesigned. So all fuel injectors and charge tubes were replaced.
Has anyone else had this problem? This fix? And what happened with your fuel mileage?
Just had mine replaced. I had extended warranty. Service dept suggested run 93-94 octane every 3-4th tank to burn off carbon deposits on direct injectors.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Just had mine replaced. I had extended warranty. Service dept suggested run 93-94 octane every 3-4th tank to burn off carbon deposits on direct injectors.
Honda recommends Top Tier fuel to prevent the fuel injectors and other components of the fuel system from getting dirty. Have you been using Top Tier fuel all the time? This list below is from February of 2019, so a few brands may have been added or deleted.

Top Tier Fuel Brands and Benefits

At the bottom of that link is the following regarding higher octane fuel. I think your service department is giving bad information to you, but you can always try it and see, it's your money.

High octane gas helps performance and fuel economy in engines that require it. Similarly, using an octane rating that is lower than what your engine requires will cause some of the same drivability issues as using non-top tier gas. The main difference is that using high-octane fuel in a vehicle that is rated for regular unleaded will give you little to no benefit in most conditions. Furthermore, the cost of higher octane fuel even with non-top tier gas is typically going to be more than simply buying top tier gas with the right octane rating.

Reactions: Honda7

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was actually driving my wife's pilot (2017) into the dealer for an oil change when I got a blizzard of dash lights (we were going to drive out of state the next week!). Fuel injector misfire, replaced as per the TSB. I keep mileage logs and we maybe went down 1mpg if that. past 3 months at 19.3, (replaced roughly 4 months ago), full ownership 19.6. And most of that variation is likely winter remote starting and super long high efficiency road trips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 Pilot.
I reset my system and then started running fuel injector cleaner through for about 3-4 tanks of gas, now I put injector cleaner in about every third tank of gas and my gas mileage has gone up, and no more system freak outs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We had our fuel injectors replaced this week, courtesy of Honda dealer under emissions warranty. We have 75,000 miles on 2016 Pilot. Emissions warranty apparently goes to 80,000 miles. This is covered under SB 18-025. There are many forums on this issue on this site.

What’s weird with ours is we also had the code DTC U128D (under dash fuse box). I could find NOTHING on this issue on Piloteers.org. This cost $1,000.

Anyone have any info on that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts