Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got 235/75R17 tires? Please share your experience and pictures. I have 245/70R17 but I am curious to try a narrower but bigger diameter tire on my 2019 Pilot

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am running 245/70/17 on my 2006 ridgeline and often feel like I’m lugging it. It’s only 3.5% taller than the stock 245/65/17 and looks great IMO, but I’m switching back from these general grabber AT2 to stock size all seasons in the spring. I am tired of feeling like I’m lugging my 138,000 mile truck that may be starting to get a bit tired. I don’t want to think that the oversized tires contributed to my truck’s demise.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running 245/70/17 on my 2006 ridgeline and often feel like I’m lugging it. It’s only 3.5% taller than the stock 245/65/17 and looks great IMO, but I’m switching back from these general grabber AT2 to stock size all seasons in the spring. I am tired of feeling like I’m lugging my 138,000 mile truck that may be starting to get a bit tired. I don’t want to think that the oversized tires contributed to my truck’s demise.
I think I know what you are referring to. I have 245/70R17 Blizzaks winter tires. Because tires 1 inch bigger, the transmission doesn't shift as crisp because the computer thinks the car is going slower than it is. As a result, the engine revs hang a little. I learned to modulate this by letting of the gas and the tranny shifts sooner. Also, Eco mode seems to shift a bit prematurely, so it works really well with bigger tires. If I drive in normal mode and don't ease off the throttle, the car just hangs in higher RPM, similar to sport mode, just not as aggressive. So technically, I have more power than needed.

I think AT tire in the same size will be an additional 1-2 lbs heavier depending on the tire. I hope that won't add that much drag to the car.

I think the only difference between our cars is that I have a 9 speed automatic. Perhaps, 6 speed struggles more with shifting at the Right RPMs and speed. I wish there was a way to adjust computer for the tire size.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I believe a 235/75/17 is 1.4" taller than the stock 245/65/17. A taller (than stock) tire increases the load on the engine/drivetrain. Then there's the increased weight of the taller tire. Butt dynos are very unreliable/inaccurate.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up going with 245/70R17 which is 1 inch bigger than stock. Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S. The tire is a bit stiffer than stock and winter Blizzaks but so far seems to be quieter than both the stock and the winter tires. It's semi-firm at 32 PSI. I am still looking for a good PSI for long term. I ran winter tires of the same size at 34 PSI.

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
I ended up going with 245/70R17 which is 1 inch bigger than stock. Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S.
Why Cooper tires?
Did the tire shop have any objection to installing tires with a lower speed rating than that of the OEM tires?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why Cooper tires?
Did the tire shop have any objection to installing tires with a lower speed rating than that of the OEM tires?
Well, OEM tires were H (130 mph) and Discoverer is T (118 mph), so not a huge difference. To be honest, the tire guy was more confused by 17 inch wheel than he was about tire speed rating. I doubt he even knew what it was. In any case, I am perfectly fine with 118 MPH speed limit.

I chose Discoverer because of the good reviews and because I wanted white letters on the outside. The reviews praised the tire for being quiet, long-lasting and good in snow - all characteristics I wanted. It is not great at mud and rock crawling, which was perfectly fine. Oh, and it is also on the lighter side of AT tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts