Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did and ended up with a dead battery, which was so bad got alert messages to take it to nearest dealer immediately, which was 60 mi. away as I was in boondocks, traveling. Ended up having to replace battery. Issue is keeping the back hatch door up/open for extended periods of time. Do not understand this as at one time Honda offered a tent to attach to the Pilot. I have a privacy tent that attached to back of SUV for changing clothes, etc. Kept the back hatch open during day for 3 days to access cooler. 2019 Pilot had less than 4k miles at the time.

Is there something I am not doing that would prevent this problem? Thanks for any response!

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I did and ended up with a dead battery, which was so bad got alert messages to take it to nearest dealer immediately, which was 60 mi. away as I was in boondocks, traveling. Ended up having to replace battery. Issue is keeping the back hatch door up/open for extended periods of time. Do not understand this as at one time Honda offered a tent to attach to the Pilot. I have a privacy tent that attached to back of SUV for changing clothes, etc. Kept the back hatch open during day for 3 days to access cooler. 2019 Pilot had less than 4k miles at the time.

Is there something I am not doing that would prevent this problem? Thanks for any response!
I'm sure you would have noticed any lights that were remaining on? The ignition was not in accessory mode?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,259 Posts
I'm not sure the Honda, when they offered the tent, had in mind people camping for an extended period with the tail gate open. Be that as it may, if you wish to continue to camp in this fashion you need to close the hatch when not needed and access the cooler from the tent door. You could of course pack up the tent each day and drive around to charge the battery back up, but that is a lot of work.

A secondary option would be to have a second deep cycle battery installed just for this purpose. They can be installed in such a manner that once you shut off the engine you switch to the secondary battery for electrical needs, thereby isolating the vehicle battery from any use.

You could also install a solar powered charging system for the battery, but you will need to have direct sunlight on the solar plates, and of course sunlight. Some places that could be difficult to have.

There are separate battery systems available now just for this kind of thing that will run a camping refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.

You also might consider a small trailer of some sort. Once the corona virus issue is dealt with I am seriously considering a small tear drop trailer. Small, sleeps 2, 4 if you add a roof tent, built in kitchen area in the back, light, easy to tow, and can be secured and left for periods of time if necessary.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
look on your Pilot .. on my 15 there is a doom light kill switch located on the roof.. look for it .. I also keep my tail gate open for long periods of time .. But also .. my dome lights will shut off after a few minutes even with the gate open. So I guess Honda changed that in the newer models ?

Reactions: lumendrops

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Honda Tent Part # 08Z04-SCV-110B

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently went camping with my new 2020 Pilot EX-L and I had issues with low battery as well, but mine was more related to keeping the ignition on for long periods of time while charging devices. I found the domelight kill switch (on the upper console) pretty quickly on the first night because we camp in a big group, and everyone tends to keep their coolers in the back of their vehicles, so I'm constantly going in and out of the back, mixing drinks, etc.. and standing back there at night, with the dome lights blaring is a BUG magnet! So I figured out how to kill the lights when the hatch is opened and it solved that issue.

My biggest complaint while camping was the gaddamn BEEPING that happens every time you open the hatch, close the hatch, walk away too quickly (beep beep beep beep beep beep) DAMN it was ANNOYING!

It was actually pissing off everyone else in our group as well, especially when I would need to go grab something late at night when others were in their tents sleeping. They would hear the loud BEEEEEP echo though the quiet forest and yell, "DUDE! Really? Again? You gotta keep going into your car man!?"

I really wish I could figure out a way to manually disable the beep all together, so I could more stealthily open my hatch at night without alerting anyone within earshot!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for this valuable information! Mine is also and EX-L. Can you please elaborate a bit on how you were able to "kill the lights"? I am 73 year-old woman and a bit confused in learning new things, particularly things mechanical, and could use a pointer as to where the kills switches are located. I have heard there is a switch on the hatch and also the upper console as you describe. I am only familiar with the lights in front near the rear-view mirror/ceiling. Are there two switches that need to be disengaged? Thanks in advance, Louise

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spent an hour trying to get all lights off to no avail; as I'm going camping in 3 weeks, I'm going to use this method: "There is a very inconvenient work around. About every hour, I need to let my car run for 10 minutes so the battery charges back up. I can close the tailgate with my remote and then I can use the remote start and it will run for 10 minutes."

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Won't that fill the tent with carbon monoxide and other exhaust fumes? I though you were using the attached tent.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
Aside from the ventilation issue of the gasses, there is the concern of smell, at least to me. I for one hate the lingering smell of gas fumes, exhaust fumes etc. I would be afraid that the tent, being made of material, will pickup and hold onto the fumes. Love the smell of a camp fire, hate the smell of a camp fire permeating my house when I get home and go to wash the clothes I was wearing while sitting around the camp fire.

·
Super Moderator
4,259 Posts
If you like tent camping you might want to consider a separate tent for sleeping etc. You could still use the Honda attached tent for storage, changing clothes etc. and keep the hatch closed eliminating the problem.

Enjoy the camping trip and let us know how you work out the situation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Being a woman, alone, I do not sleep in the tent, and use it only as a privacy tent. I sleep in the back of the vehicle, seats down, in a sleeping bag placed on top of a Therm-a-Rest MondoKing Air/Foam camping mattress. Thanks for your good ideas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts