Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made the mistake of getting a $45 LED bulb set off amazon. While the light was amazing, i quickly realized it was blinding oncoming traffic. Has anyone found bulbs that are crafted specifically to fit our model and aim the beam properly?

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have read on another forum that the OEM head light housing is designed for a specific type of bulb, and as you have noted using other types of bulbs can have negative results. Your best bet may be to try and find a LED bulb and housing kit, otherwise go back to the OEM bulb.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Supernova V4 all day every day. Go to Headlight Revolution's youtube channel and check out some of the big comparisons they've done. I believe they are sole distributors for GTR Lighting and Supernova BUT they actually prove with beam patterns and lux readings why there products are the best.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am currently facing this dilemma. I was also contemplating LED bulbs as I do a lot of mountain driving in Breckenridge. The stock bulbs suck for me. Anyone have luck with the silverstar bulbs? Made by Sylvania. I wont go into light bars just yet but its tempting.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I am currently facing this dilemma. I was also contemplating LED bulbs as I do a lot of mountain driving in Breckenridge. The stock bulbs suck for me. Anyone have luck with the silverstar bulbs? Made by Sylvania. I wont go into light bars just yet but its tempting.
With oncoming traffic regularly or are you often on the high beams and they aren't enough?

If you want maximum low beams the only way is to either do a projector retrofit (check out The Retrofit Source) or LED PNP bulbs (not as good as a retrofit, check out Headlight Revolution).

If you want maximum with the high beams I'd look into a light bar/LED cubes that use the high beam as their "switch".

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you. I will look into those lights. The highbeams are fantastic but I hate blinding oncoming traffic with them. The low beams may just be old and low grade. I've recently purchased this 08 Pilot EXL. So lots of upgrades coming no doubt after routine maint is completed. Projector headlights seem doable. But I will check the lights you speak of first.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I hate blinding oncoming traffic
Thank you on behalf of everyone you share the road with. Wish there were more considerate folks like you out there.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thank you. I will look into those lights. The highbeams are fantastic but I hate blinding oncoming traffic with them. The low beams may just be old and low grade. I've recently purchased this 08 Pilot EXL. So lots of upgrades coming no doubt after routine maint is completed. Projector headlights seem doable. But I will check the lights you speak of first.
Depending on how old the bulbs are it could just be that they have faded considerably over the years. The cheapest option could be to try a fresh set of bulbs. Check out the Candlepower store for a short list of the best bulbs if you want to upgrade but stick with halogens.

Thank you on behalf of everyone you share the road with. Wish there were more considerate folks like you out there.
THIS. I'm one of the few people who prefer to drive a car for various reasons, but as I age my eyes just cannot handle all of the glare and blinding light from other vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I made the mistake of getting a $45 LED bulb set off amazon. While the light was amazing, i quickly realized it was blinding oncoming traffic. Has anyone found bulbs that are crafted specifically to fit our model and aim the beam properly?
Try the Phillips Crystal Vision or X-Treme Vision bulbs. They work

·
Registered
348 Posts
Doesn't matter. Even with my factory LED low beams I'm constantly getting flashed as if my high beams are on. I see it too. LED low beams look like high beams on some cars.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Totally agree with the comments here and the 2011 headlight design. I tried multiple LED bulbs and had issues with blinding oncoming drivers. I think I sent two or three sets back before I found the Diode dynamics. Look closely at the design of the bulb and what testing the manufacturer does. You should be able to reference good data, cutoff info, brightness and experience in several different style housings. When you do make the decision, park your Pilot around 20' from your garage door or wall and note where your cutoff is on the halogen bulb. Then change one side, verify that it is OK and then do the next. If your cutoff is running a foot or more above the halogen or spraying light, it's not gonna work. One of the things Diode Dynamics did with there design was to make sure the bulb stock and where the LED's sit on the stalk are the same as where the filament in the halogen bulb are, thereby using the reflector in the light the same way the halogen bulb does. I ran them for over a year without anyone flashing me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
These worked great. Good beam cut off so the pattern has a reasonably sharp edge. I had to reaim my low beams, after that they were great. Brighter than stock, but not irritating to oncoming traffic.
Did both low and high beams with same brand. 6 months so far so good.

NINEO H11 LED Headlight Bulbs w/Small Size,10000LM 6500K Cool White CREE Chips H8 H9 All-in-One Conversion Kit
Sold by: Nineo
$29.99

Buy it again

NINEO 9005 HB3 LED Headlight Bulbs - CREE Chips - 12000Lm 6500K Extremely Bright All-in-One Conversion Kit,360 Degree Adjustable Beam Angle
Sold by: NINEO
$49.99

I tried the Beam Tech low beam LEDs, didn't like them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts