Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and picked up a touch-up pen to cover the light scratch that was made when some idiot bumped into my car a few days ago. It's one of those pens with a felt tip and also has a clear coat applicator, also using a felt tip, on the opposite end.

The instructions says to dab little bit of the paint in the affected area, never streaking across it, and it also said that 2 or 3 applications may be neccessary and to wait about 15-20 minutes between applications, but even after having waited 30 minutes, the paint doesn't seem dry.

The dabbed paint is still much darker than the original paint (I got the right color though. The color codes to match, I made sure of that). I'm thinking either it's still dry or the touch-up paint just isn't working well. I don't wanna touch the paint, just in case it's not dry and I somehow end up ruining it.

After the applications of the paint, I'm supposed to apply the clear coat. Does the paint somehow change color after I apply the clear coat or is the paint supposed to dry to blend in with the surrounding surface?

Sorry for dumb questions, but it's my first time using it and things are not taking place according to the instructions. TIA.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Touch-up

sagepilot said:
RipRock:
Where do you obtain the touch-up pen?
I can't find touch-up in a bottle.
Thanks.
I got it from a Honda dealer close by my place. They ordered it in Tuesday and I got it today. It's a neat concept, but I don't know if it's working too well right now, or I'm such a putz that I'm messing the job up.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Applied The Touch-Up For The Third Time Now.

and I can still see the scratch. Is this scratch too deep to be fixed by touch-up paint? It sure doens't look or felt that way. I could barely feel the scratch when I ran my finger along it before I applied the paint.

Also, I touched the paint this time to see if it was indeed dry before applying again and it was definitely dry. But the applied area is darker than the rest, looking as though it's still wet.

Any idea as to what I can be doing wrong? I'd hate to think that I should have obtained all the info from the idiot who bumped into my bumper after all. Grrrrrr.... :3:

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I'm not a fan of the pens. Nonetheless, what color's your Pilot?

How long is the scratch? Got a pic?

BTW, the clear will not alter the color underneath. It's clear! Just gonna seal what u see.

And don't worry. With touchup paint you can ALWAYS start over. Which I think is what you're gonna have to do.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TheWorm said:
I'm not a fan of the pens. Nonetheless, what color's your Pilot?
How long is the scratch? Got a pic?
BTW, the clear will not alter the color underneath. It's clear! Just gonna seal what u see.
And don't worry. With touchup paint you can ALWAYS start over. Which I think is what you're gonna have to do.
My Pilot's color is Havasu Blue, BG-50M-4. The scratch is about 2 1/2" long at the most and sorry, I don't have a pic. I really should get my digital cam fixed or get a new one.

If I need to start over again, how would I go about doing that? Would I just take some paint thinner, such as Varsol, and take the paint off? Oh, and if the clear coat's on though, there's no way to do it again? I haven't applied any clear coat, but just curious. Thanks.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Scratches are tough for touchup paint of any kind b/c they're often not deep or wide enough for the touchup paint to adhere -- plus if they're narrow it's hard to fill only the scratch and not blob paint everywhere else (which is fixable, however).

Can you see primer or metal? You said you could "barely" feel it, so it *might* be possible to buff it out. You'd use the same product/technique to level out and (hopefully) shine-up the touchup that's on there.

If it were me (which it has been, too often) I'd try to buff it out first before the touchup (I know, too late now)...but...

Do you have a random orbital buffer w/a foam pad? 3M scratch and swirl remover (part number 39009 or 39109 -- same product, diff color) would be worth a shot. If you don't have that, you might try some Meguiar's ScratchX by hand.

It might be worth having a detailer do it -- I wouldn't imagine it'd cost more than $25 or $35, assuming it's a buff and not a repaint sorta thing. Just make sure they're actually getting rid of the scratch rather than filling it. If they use the word "glaze" then they're filling it and it'll just come back after the glaze wears off.

Here are a couple of threads worth browsing:

Chuck's advice in this one:
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3271&highlight=touchup+paint

RoadRunner's link in this one (along w/the other comments):
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6507&highlight=scratch+repair

I bought Langka for leveling touchups for chips. Although I didn't like it, it is quite good at pulling all the touchup paint back out :) Not sure what it's made of, to tell ya the truth.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TheWorm said:
Scratches are tough for touchup paint of any kind b/c they're often not deep or wide enough for the touchup paint to adhere -- plus if they're narrow it's hard to fill only the scratch and not blob paint everywhere else (which is fixable, however).

Can you see primer or metal? You said you could "barely" feel it, so it *might* be possible to buff it out. You'd use the same product/technique to level out and (hopefully) shine-up the touchup that's on there.

If it were me (which it has been, too often) I'd try to buff it out first before the touchup (I know, too late now)...but...

Do you have a random orbital buffer w/a foam pad? 3M scratch and swirl remover (part number 39009 or 39109 -- same product, diff color) would be worth a shot. If you don't have that, you might try some Meguiar's ScratchX by hand.

It might be worth having a detailer do it -- I wouldn't imagine it'd cost more than $25 or $35, assuming it's a buff and not a repaint sorta thing. Just make sure they're actually getting rid of the scratch rather than filling it. If they use the word "glaze" then they're filling it and it'll just come back after the glaze wears off.

Here are a couple of threads worth browsing:

Chuck's advice in this one:
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3271&highlight=touchup+paint

RoadRunner's link in this one (along w/the other comments):
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6507&highlight=scratch+repair

I bought Langka for leveling touchups for chips. Although I didn't like it, it is quite good at pulling all the touchup paint back out :) Not sure what it's made of, to tell ya the truth.
Worm, thank you kindly for your ideas and suggestions. As a matter of fact, my brother-in-law does have one of those orbital buffer, but I think what I'll try is Meguiar's ScratchX. But those links you listed provided for interesting reading.

Once again, thanks for your time and courtesy. I love this site! :D

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Touch up

1 You only want paint in the scratch.
Put masking tape on each side to as close to the scratch as you can. You the smallest brush you can get, or a paper match stick cut to a fine point.

2. Shake the paint well and often. Go slow, and fill the scratch one coat at a time.

3. When you have enough coats soth ecolor looks smooth take the tape off and let it dry a few days. (It does not have to be even with the surounding paint, just well covered)

4. Polish the area (this will remove the paint that is on top of the factory clearcoat, and leave the paint filling the scratch.

5. Now apply clear coat till the scratch is filled even or above the surounding paint.

6 Let dry a few days.

7. Polish and wax.

One Question? Was it Honda touchup paint, or some other brand that the dealer sells?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dent removers can touch up

Few years ago, someone backed into my Minivan. Ripped all the paint off a 6 inch area of the plastic bumper...gouged the plastic a little too.
Body shop wanted $450 to repair/paint.

Took it to one of those Dentbuster places...they fixed perfectly for $75.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Touch up

N_Jay said:
1 You only want paint in the scratch.
Put masking tape on each side to as close to the scratch as you can. You the smallest brush you can get, or a paper match stick cut to a fine point.
I found that out the hard way. Now, I have to find a way to get rid of the excess paint :( Can you think of something I can use to get rid of it? Or is it the case such that if I do use something to get rid of the excess paint, then I end up taking off the paint in the surrounding area?

One Question? Was it Honda touchup paint, or some other brand that the dealer sells?
Oh, it's a Honda touch-up paint, which I bought right from the dealer. So, the color does match exactly.

What I'm planning to do is, get the truck owner's name and if possible, his phone number and call him up and tell him that there is a scratch for which he's responsible for. I only wrote down his license plate number, but that should be enough for a buddy of mine who's a police officer. If the guy denies any wrongdoing, he's in for a surprise. I have a witness who saw the whole thing, even as the truck driver backed up his truck to get his bumper off of mine.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Removing Touch-up paint

Since the paint is on top of the factory clearcoat you should be able to CAREFULLY remove it.
I have seen people (with steadier hands than I) use a razor blade to slice it off right down to the clearcoat.
You can take it off by cutting through it with pollish or rubbing compound.
I am not sure if there are any solvents that will soften the touch-up paint without affecting the factory paint. Maybe ask at a auto-paint supply shop.
I guess it depends on how bad and where it is.
I would start with a razor blade (A real double edge with tape to cover the unused side) and slice off as much as I dared without getting to the factory clear coat. (not as hard as it sounds.
Then I would whipe the area with paint thinner and see if some colort comes up. If so, I would rubs small a spot as posible to remove the touchup paint. Then use a soft pencil eraser dipped in rubbing compund to slowly remove what is left.
Then touch up the clear coat and polish a week later.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Removing Touch-up paint

N_Jay, as always, you've been a great help. I'll try to coax the layer of paint off the area with a razor blade and see what happens. Thanks again!

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
The touchup paint is laquer based -- it'll come off w/solvent and NOT harm the factory paint.

I'll go check my bottle of Langka and let you know the active ingredient. Hang on a minute.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Well, all it says is it's petroleum distallate based. Although the touchup paint is laquer-based, DO NOT use laquer thinner as it'll still potentially wreck the original paint (even tho it's urethane enamel). Sorry (just read an update to an old detailing thread to that effect).

Like NJay said, an abrasive (polish) will work. That's what Meg's ScratchX or the 3M 39009 I mentioned will do. It'll take longer but it'll also level it with the surrounding paint.

IMO the razor blade idea will work, but carries more risk. Head to PepBoys or Autozone or whatever is in your area and look for Langka or Mother's brand of Langka (they now market it) called CALIFORNIA GOLD® PAINT CHIP REPAIR. It'll come right off.

It sounds like u are starting over?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TheWorm said:
Well, all it says is it's petroleum distallate based. Although the touchup paint is laquer-based, DO NOT use laquer thinner as it'll still potentially wreck the original paint (even tho it's urethane enamel). Sorry (just read an update to an old detailing thread to that effect).

Like NJay said, an abrasive (polish) will work. That's what Meg's ScratchX or the 3M 39009 I mentioned will do. It'll take longer but it'll also level it with the surrounding paint.

IMO the razor blade idea will work, but carries more risk. Head to PepBoys or Autozone or whatever is in your area and look for Langka or Mother's brand of Langka (they now market it) called CALIFORNIA GOLD® PAINT CHIP REPAIR. It'll come right off.

It sounds like u are starting over?
Yeah, unfortunately. I should've thought about using tape around the scratch to more precisely apply the tape. I'm such a dunce. Or I shouldn't have even bothered with a touch-up paint for a scratch like that, but use what you suggested, Meg's ScratchX.

But you and N_Jay have been unbelievably helpful. It is like getting real professional help. This forum's proven to be invaluable to people like me, thanks to guys like you. I'll report back when I get the scratch out. Oh, and I'm also going to go shopping for a new digital camera soon ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
RipRocK ... before you drive yourself crazy, you are NOT going to make the scratch disappear with touch-up paint. You might be able to make it look better BUT the only way you are going to make it disappear is to repair the bumper and refinish. Sorry, know that this is not what you want to hear, but such is life.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
srpbep said:
RipRocK ... before you drive yourself crazy, you are NOT going to make the scratch disappear with touch-up paint. You might be able to make it look better BUT the only way you are going to make it disappear is to repair the bumper and refinish. Sorry, know that this is not what you want to hear, but such is life.
Yeah, I'm beginning to find that out, the hard way :( I'd just accept the scratch if it was my fault, but it's harder to take it when it was caused by someone else's utter carelessness.

One thing's for certain, I'll make sure to get the driver's license/reg/insurance info next time, even if there no damage appears at the time.

·
Registered
698 Posts
GREAT THREAD

So today I was out and about and I was thinking about my beloved Pilot and about this forum, and you know what thread came to mine? This one.

I had read it last night and as I read it, I was saying to myself, "Hey, that's a good idea." "Wow, never thought of that!" Get what I mean?

I had an Accord, stick-shift, that had some ugly war wounds on the front bumper. It was just some little abrasions and scrapes caused by me starting the vehicle without putting the cluth in and it plunging into walls, etc. It didn't happen a lot but, it didn't have to. I tried to repair the boo-boo's with some of that touch-up paint I got from the dealer and it never DID look right.

I WISH I had read Worm's post about putting tape alongside the injury first. That would have been perfect!

Anyway, I love this forum and the knowledge and experiences that we all share.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts