Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I plan to change the fluid every 30k miles like I have in my CRV (2013 MY).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As most know, heat is a destroyer of ATF and the ultimately the transmission. Full Synthetic products have been proven to be more resistant to heat and give better protection. If you live in a region known for really hot summers, regardless of your milage, I would recommend an ATF drain and fill every other oil change if you use DW-1. DW-1 is not full synthetic and can loose it's ability to protect in this extreme environment. Hence this discussion about MaxLife and other Full Synthetic alternatives.
I wouldn't think twice changing my 5-speed CRV ATF to MaxLife. We've owned 2 of them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I ran Maxlife in our beloved 08 CRV. 180K at trade in with no issues. The Pilot I thought about using DW1 with lube guard platinum. Lube guard makes good addictives.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I ran Maxlife in our beloved 08 CRV. 180K at trade in with no issues. The Pilot I thought about using DW1 with lube guard platinum. Lube guard makes good addictives.
I'm not opposed to additives. I've never tried them. I just don't know if DW-1 can be fixed since its not full synthetic.
Thumbs up for the CRV experience.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
good addictives.
So is it meth that makes for more aggressive gear shifts? :p

OK, seriously, good on you for your CRV experience. Why not extend it to your Pilot (and save $ as you do)?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Adding to my experience with MaxLife in my 6speed, the shifting is definately crisper and the down shifts are slightly more noticeable from 3rd down to low. Definately no slippage or shuddering felt at any time. I also had an issue with OD prior to the drain and fill which was probably due to the dirty DW1 fluid. When up to 50mph for the first time about 2 miles from home, the trans. would go in and out of OD several times before settling out a mile or so down the road. My old Saturn with the Honda 5speed did the same thing and a fluid change to MaxLife solved it. The 6 speed has not had this issue either since changing over to MaxLife. Overall I am very happy with the performance of this fluid at this point and will continue to use it.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Adding to my experience with MaxLife in my 6speed, the shifting is definately crisper and the down shifts are slightly more noticeable from 3rd down to low. Definately no slippage or shuddering felt at any time. I also had an issue with OD prior to the drain and fill which was probably due to the dirty DW1 fluid. When up to 50mph for the first time about 2 miles from home, the trans. would go in and out of OD several times before settling out a mile or so down the road. My old Saturn with the Honda 5speed did the same thing and a fluid change to MaxLife solved it. The 6 speed has not had this issue either since changing over to MaxLife. Overall I am very happy with the performance of this fluid at this point and will continue to use it.
That 3rd to 2nd (low), is that occuring right at 40mph?. That transition is more obvious to me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Notice it only when coasting down to a stop or a turn, so probably closer to 20mph. You can definately feel engine braking similar to that when you down shift a standard transmission. 3rd to 2nd is more noticeable than 2nd to 1st which makes sense as it is happening at a higher speed.
If I am at 40mph and slow to 30mph it's not noticeable. I personally like the crisper shifting and the feel of the transmission with this fluid and will see how it holds up over time and when I do some towing over the summer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So is it meth that makes for more aggressive gear shifts? :p

OK, seriously, good on you for your CRV experience. Why not extend it to your Pilot (and save $ as you do)?
Additives, LoL. I didn’t add the Maxlife till around 60K. The Pilot I’ll keep using the DW1.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts