Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been beat to death but I'm wanting to get others opinions if they are using MaxLife in their 6-speed. Without a doubt, MaxLife ATF has cured my shuddering, slipping transmission, but I may have increased what is known as "shift shock." This is where the transmission hangs on to the previous gear a bit longer before transitioning to the next causing you to lunge forward. I do have this sensation, but I bought this vehicle while it already had transmission issues and it may not be far from normal.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you already have transmission issues I suggest a reset (look it up), it's like turning on the car without starting it while holding the gas. It made a difference in my previous zf-9 transmission, for my current 6 speed I think it may all be in my head. I will however say, in my previous 16 model, the car was slipping, a 3x3 drain and fill with factory fluid fixed it (under tsb warranty). I read on the MDX forum that someone used MaxLife prior to his transmission being replaced and it worked great (he/she did it because they knew the transmission was going to be replaced).

I would suggest installing a larger transmission cooler if you haven't done so, skip the filter and drain the fluid every other oil change or up to 20k miles. It's fluid break down and heat that causes transmission issues. Many have used oem fluids with no issues, I think the key is more frequent fluid changes.

If the reset and new fluid does not solve it then I suggest replacing the third gear pressure switch. It was a known issue in the Acura TL world (it's about $50) and is easy to replace. On the 16' I believe is directly on the bottom of the transmission when I looked at it. I was going to replace it but just upgraded to a new car.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you already have transmission issues I suggest a reset (look it up), it's like turning on the car without starting it while holding the gas. It made a difference in my previous zf-9 transmission, for my current 6 speed I think it may all be in my head. I will however say, in my previous 16 model, the car was slipping, a 3x3 drain and fill with factory fluid fixed it (under tsb warranty). I read on the MDX forum that someone used MaxLife prior to his transmission being replaced and it worked great (he/she did it because they knew the transmission was going to be replaced).

I would suggest installing a larger transmission cooler if you haven't done so, skip the filter and drain the fluid every other oil change or up to 20k miles. It's fluid break down and heat that causes transmission issues. Many have used oem fluids with no issues, I think the key is more frequent fluid changes.

If the reset and new fluid does not solve it then I suggest replacing the third gear pressure switch. It was a known issue in the Acura TL world (it's about $50) and is easy to replace. On the 16' I believe is directly on the bottom of the transmission when I looked at it. I was going to replace it but just upgraded to a new car.
I bought this vehicle at a salvage auction with 19k miles. I rebuilt it and installed a factory cooler when I discovered that Honda, in all their infinite wisdom, decided to go against all their previous knowledge on the subject and left out cooling the ATF. After putting it on the road, it had some bad transmission symtoms. I never dreamed the fluid was bad at this milage. When I drained it, the DW-1 was black. Yes, heat was certainly an issue. I did a 1 x drain and fill with DW-1 with no improvement. So I did a 3 x drain and fill with MaxLife. After the 1st drain and fill with MaxLife I saw an improvement (no more slipping and shuddering), so I did it 2 more times. I've been monitoring my transmission operating temps with no issues so far. So for this thread, I'm trying to specifically talk about "shift shock." MaxLife may have the additive package to prevent wear, but I'm questioning the low viscosity index of 156 as the cause of some shift shock. Non-synthetic fluid like DW-1 is a ridiculously high viscosity in the 250s. Thick burnt ATF syrup = slipping and shuddering.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The TSB mentioned in post #2 also included having a software update for certain conditions. Don't know if you have seen this post or if it would help you, but it does talk about the update changing the way the temperature is controlled in the transmission. The two TSB mentioned there are different than the TSB 17-014 I have seen mentioned for the Pilot but have a higher number so appear to have been issued afterwards.

TSB Software Update

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The TSB mentioned in post #2 also included having a software update for certain conditions. Don't know if you have seen this post or if it would help you, but it does talk about the update changing the way the temperature is controlled in the transmission. The two TSB mentioned there are different than the TSB 17-014 I have seen mentioned for the Pilot but have a higher number so appear to have been issued afterwards.

TSB Software Update
I appreciate the info. The TSB you posted was released in April of 2017. My vehicle was made in May of 2017. I would think it would have had the update installed before it left the factory.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You‘re right, you have beaten the topic to death in the below post:

You continue to ask similar questions and hope to get different answers.
You’re bought a totaled vehicle( Savage) repaired it and now you’re trying to compare it to non-totaled vehicles . The is not a Honda problem, a fluid problem or a filter problem.There is a reason why the vehicle was totaled in the 1st place. Sorry for being a tool, but you know the risk of buying a totaled vehicle.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You‘re right, you have beaten the topic to death in the below post:

You continue to ask similar questions and hope to get different answers.
You’re bought a totaled vehicle( Savage) repaired it and now you’re trying to compare it to non-totaled vehicles . The is not a Honda problem, a fluid problem or a fluid problem.There is a reason why the vehicle was totaled in the 1st place. Sorry for being a tool, but you know the risk of buying a totaled vehicle.
Your being a tool.
No apology needed. You're giving your opinion.
The vehicle was in a moderate front-end accident. It has nothing to do with the operation of the transmission. The subject has been beat to death regaurding Honda's poor quality and people recognizing that DW-1 is not that great. This thread is specifically about shift shock with the use of MaxLife.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Oooh, oooh, me, me!

You wouldn't happen to know the viscosity index, would you? :p

BTW, no shift shock here. :)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Oooh, oooh, me, me! View attachment 135140

You wouldn't happen to know the viscosity index, would you? :p

BTW, no shift shock here. :)
I think dead horse blood that's been properly beaten is just a little thicker than Wolf's Head ATF, but MUCH rarer.

·
Registered
610 Posts
IMO if MaxLife ain't working for your unique situation just proceed to use the next higher VI transmission oil and report back with your success or not. If you got an impending transmission issue this may confirm it without going into the trans. (edit for spelling)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the reset and new fluid does not solve it then I suggest replacing the third gear pressure switch. It was a known issue in the Acura TL world (it's about $50) and is easy to replace.
The shift shock does seem to be more prevalent in the lower gears.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IMO if MaxLife ain't working for your unique situation just proceed to use the next higher VI transmission oil and report back with your success or not. If you got an impeding transmission issue this may confirm it without going into the trans.
I don't believe my situation is unique. There have been many who have had new transmissions replaced in unwrecked vehicles. But Yes, I'm leaning that way. I will be changing the filter out this week.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Your being a tool.
No apology needed. You're giving your opinion.
The vehicle was in a moderate front-end accident. It has nothing to do with the operation of the transmission. The subject has been beat to death regaurding Honda's poor quality and people recognizing that DW-1 is not that great. This thread is specifically about shift shock with the use of MaxLife.
Ouch ... my feelings are hurt. Dude, we get it you love MaxLife.. If you don’t like Honda vehicles, stop buying them( especially totaled ones).You‘re only creating your own heartaches and blaming others including Honda for your poor decisions. As much as you believe your issue is most likely a fluid problem, did you check the possibly that the motor/transmission mounts or may be the pressure switches were damaged in the orginal accident?

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Actually, if after Valvoline Maxlife ATF 3x drain 'n' fills you're still looking for something that might help, switching out those pressure switches would be a good next step.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ouch ... my feelings are hurt. Dude, we get it you love MaxLife.. If you don’t like Honda vehicles, stop buying them( especially totaled ones).You‘re only creating your own heartaches and blaming others including Honda for your poor decisions. As much as you believe your issue is most likely a fluid problem, did you check the possibly that the motor/transmission mounts or may be the pressure switches were damaged in the orginal accident?
Here, is the photo of the damage wise guy. The impact was above the transmission with the cave in of the radiator core support, mostly on the passenger side.
I'm very well aware of the risk. With purchasing brand new tires, I'm in at around $18,000. That's with front and rear engine mount replacment. Im happy where I'm at for a Pilot 2017 Pilot EX-L with 19k miles on it. Since the vehicle had black DW-1 in it, I would believe that the previous owner would be at fault though not liable. Honda has had obvious known issues.
Your still being a tool.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I bought this vehicle at a salvage auction with 19k miles. I rebuilt it and installed a factory cooler when I discovered that Honda, in all their infinite wisdom, decided to go against all their previous knowledge on the subject and left out cooling the ATF. Thick burnt ATF syrup = slipping and shuddering.
Maybe the previous owner abused the crap out of the thing before they wrecked it. My 2017 Ridgeline with the same 6-speed with 21k miles, ATF still looks like new.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe the previous owner abused the crap out of the thing before they wrecked it. My 2017 Ridgeline with the same 6-speed with 21k miles, ATF still looks like new.
Most likely so. They bought it the summer of 2017 and wrecked it after the summer of 2019, I'm assuming they did 2 years that included 2 summers of stopping and starting in town driving. The tires obviously had not been rotated. Much less a transmission service before 19k.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There are still so many unknowns to really blame the transmission fluid. If you like MaxLife stick with it. You can even share your experience but I feel like at this point you're beating a dead horse.

Never used another kind of fluid on my Hondas and every time I've drained it, its come out relatively clean. I've had one transmission failure at 250,000 miles but at that point it was just worn out.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Here, is the photo of the damage wise guy. The impact was above the transmission with the cave in of the radiator core support, mostly on the passenger side.
I'm very well aware of the risk. With purchasing brand new tires, I'm in at around $18,000. That's with front and rear engine mount replacment. Im happy where I'm at for a Pilot 2017 Pilot EX-L with 19k miles on it. Since the vehicle had black DW-1 in it, I would believe that the previous owner would be at fault though not liable. Honda has had obvious known issues.
Your still being a tool. View attachment 135144
Sorry you feel that way, someone needs to be totally honest with you. You bought a vehicle with frame damage on the passenger side, broken front engine mount along with god knows what else we can’t see. The insurance company would have never had totaled it, if the vehicle was not totaled. I guarantee if you were to poll the members on this forum, they would never do what you did and put their family in this vehicle.
If you feel you got a great deal and this works for you ,than good for you. I don‘t believe any one is going to convince you otherwise. Honda Pilots are not known for shift shock period, especially ones that were not declared totaled.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts